From Gi to No-Gi

--Shogun--

White Belt
Reaction score
I plan on working on gi for a few months untill I get used to that.. then I wanted to switch to no gi. I was just wondering if any of u think that if I did this i would end up have trouble getting used to no gi.

Shogun, in my experience you'll just need to make some modifications, most of them minor. If your positioning is good, the transition to no-gi should go fine.
If it were me I'd do gi for much longer, at least a year, and then start to add some no-gi stuff over time.

Yeah gi really gets you used to everything spend some more time in gi, the transition to no gi is pretty simple. Just some things you can't do such as some collar chokes and its alot easier to slip out of submissions.

greasemonkey said:
Yeah gi really gets you used to everything spend some more time in gi, the transition to no gi is pretty simple. Just some things you can't do such as some collar chokes and its alot easier to slip out of submissions.

meh. I dont think doing gi helps you get use to anything except for gi. If anything, it teaches bad habits when training no gi. particularly in the guard and when trying to control you're opponent.

it's a lot harder to control you're opponent when you dont have a Gi to grab onto, so why get use to grabbing sleeves, collars, etc?

also there are a lot of gi techniques(setups for submissions, sweeps, etc) that wont work in no gi. So you're going to spend time and effort learning these techniques you wont be using with no gi when you could have spent that same time and effort learning/improving techniques you would use for no gi.

to the OP - if you want to fight mostly gi - train mostly gi.
If you want to fight mostly no gi - do more no gi.

If you want to do an equal of both then yeah train Gi for a while and then switch to doing no gi and gi.

FutureBxer said:
meh. I dont think doing gi helps you get use to anything except for gi. If anything, it teaches bad habits when training no gi. particularly in the guard and when trying to control you're opponent.

it's a lot harder to control you're opponent when you dont have a Gi to grab onto, so why get use to grabbing sleeves, collars, etc?

also there are a lot of gi techniques(setups for submissions, sweeps, etc) that wont work in no gi. So you're going to spend time and effort learning these techniques you wont be using with no gi when you could have spent that same time and effort learning/improving techniques you would use for no gi.

If you want to do an equal of both then yeah train Gi for a while and then switch to doing no gi and gi.

Agreed....some idiot was trying to do a spiderguard sweep no-gi. I yanked my arms back and was like "Get the F outta HERE!!!!!"

FutureBxer is right.

I went from gi (about 3 years) to no gi and was initially surprised how difficult it was. I'm doing ok now but my main focus is still gi work.

One thing that has helped me in no-gi a little has been going to the gym.

if you intend to do no gi in the future, i would just do no gi from the start.

FutureBxer said:

I'm sure a lot of ADCC competitors disagree with your statement.

I started with no-gi six months ago, and for the last month I have been rolling about 50% with a gi and 50% without a gi. It was very strange at first, because escaping submissions was a lot harder with a gi so I needed to be quicker. Also, I don't quite have a good handle on collar chokes from the guard yet.

However, the two forms were mostly compatible. I think you just have to get used to it (either gi or no-gi depending on if you started with no-gi or gi). I was able to modify a lot of my gi moves to work no-gi. I grab his lats instead of his collar when doing a certain choke from him turtling. For a certain mount choke, I make a fist and place it into my elbow instead of grabbing my non-existant sleeve.

Often you can still grab the clothing in no-gi tournaments too - that's why some competitors will sometimes go out shirtless or even only wearing those silly tight shorts. You don't get as strong a grip in no-gi since the clothing is more loose, but it still helps to control the person to an extent.

Despite what snobs from both schools say, I think gi grappling makes your no-gi grappling better and vice versa. They teach you different ways of thinking, which helps you develop better techniques and more creative strategies on the mat.

I do both, but mostly gi. Gi does make you more technical. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Ah, the whole Eddie Bravo debate all over again.

Obviously gi training help for nogi, just because it is grappling. But if nogi is your goal, just train nogi all the time.

i train in both at gracie barra, and gi training makes no gi a breeze.
Defending is a lot easier, the fight is faster paced, and you have to be agressive. I like both and think the gi is invaluable

If your aim is to fight no gi I think you are better off training no gi to begin with and skip the gi. You might get bad habits from the gi when fighting no gi when you have no lapel and sleeve to controll your opponent with.

It is true that escapes are harder with the gi but again if your aim is no gi.....

Obviously the two best guys at jiu jitsu right now think otherwise.

Jacare and Roger are both big Gi players.......

I consider myself a no gi grappler but hey isn't it cool,
to know how to put someone to sleep with their own clothing???

oh yeah this guy messed with me, so I put him to sleep!! Using his own T-shirt
as a weapon against him!!! WOW your my hero!!! I know babe I know

Is this turning into ANOTHER gi vs. no-gi thread?!?!

Just train for what you plan to do in the future...gi, no-gi, 50/50, 75/25, whatever.
And the "silly tight shorts" are pretty common. I mean, I wouldn't wear them out in public or anything. And I have to admit that grapplers sometimes look silly dressed like they're going surfing.

LOL. I was a little grumpy when I wrote that. I apologize for the rude remarks everyone!

Gsoares2 said:
Obviously the two best guys at jiu jitsu right now think otherwise.

Jacare and Roger are both big Gi players.......
Let's not forget Marcelo Garcia and a few others.

Why not do both? Jeff Glover said in his interview on the Greenwhale promo that he trains mostly gi at his school, then after class when everyone is all warmed up and sweating they train no-gi. The thinks it makes the no-gi stuff better when you have to fight a guy that's already slippery.

Honestly there is a lot less difference between gi and no gi than people say.

I trained no gi for about three years before I started gi. I got collar choked for about a week, but after that it felt completely normal to me. Obviously I am not a gi wizard, but I can definitely fight in it and do well.

All of the no gi basics translate directly to gi. The really fancy stuff that you can only do in a gi is usually flashy and low percentage anyway.

If you have good control and positioning, you will be fine no matter what you are wearing. Train both.

Back