Leaving a job you really like on principle

I mean, the reason people go to work is money right?

By hard time all i meant is when I first started, it was agreed my pay would go up a bit after a certain point. We've passed that point and I've definitely shown my motivation and worth and he's still considering whether or not to give me that raise or make me wait

He isn't hard on me other than that really. We get a long and to be fair he did give me a chance when other more qualified people probably applied. I just feel I've earned that raise we talked about despite there not being a hard set date it would happen

Yes, you should quit as soon as you find another job that pays better.

Sitting around and waiting for something to change that's out of your control is the worst thing you can possibly do. What's worse is when you are underpaid and over working at the same time. It's the three don'ts of career of progression.

What do you do when you really really like your relatively new job, that has a lot of potential down the road but currently pays shit? Right now my role is crucial to the company, if I were to leave it would have a huge impact and make my boss as well as other top brass' life hell. Yet my boss is still giving me a hard time and paying me much less than I contribute because I haven't been there but 8 months or so

I contribute literally just as much as another worker that makes probably 3xish what I do. I feel like if my boss doesn't wisen up I should quit on principle or at least give an ultimatum. But, I really like the job and there is real potential i could make way more than I ever have in my life in 2-5 years if I stay
I'm trying to figure out what your principle is?

That you should fuck yourself over because of a situation you're probably lucky to be in which has potential? Because you think you're entitled to an amount of goodwill generally only afforded by time served?

I'd forget about the money if I were you, it will show through your skin and sour things regardless of where you want to go.

I mean, the reason people go to work is money right?

By hard time all i meant is when I first started, it was agreed my pay would go up a bit after a certain point. We've passed that point and I've definitely shown my motivation and worth and he's still considering whether or not to give me that raise or make me wait

He isn't hard on me other than that really. We get a long and to be fair he did give me a chance when other more qualified people probably applied. I just feel I've earned that raise we talked about despite there not being a hard set date it would happen
Was the original timeframe reasonable?

What exactly did he promise you?

Did your boss say that you would definitely get a raise in 6 months?

Or did he say he MIGHT give you a raise if you perform well?

There's a big difference between the two. If he made a hard promise about a raise and then broke that promise, then I'd start looking for another job. I wouldn't quit until I found one though.

Also, how do you know you'll be making 3x more in a few years? Did your boss tell you that? If so, then it may not be true if he's already lied about your 6 month raise.

Would be hilarious if TS got fired out of nowhere.

I’m just kidding, but if you really want to test your value, TS, tell your boss you have another offer and see if he matches you.

I would add, being with the company for 8 months isn’t a long time. If they don’t give you a raise by your 1 year anniversary then look for another spot (which you should be doing anyways).

I bet you're not as important as you think you are.

You've been there less than a year and think you're already a vital cog in the machine?
Yeah dude's brand new and bitching he isnt making as much as someone who's been there longer, sounds like he isn't really into reality.

Back