From Gi to No-Gi

Gsoares2 said:
yeah most of the guys i run into the street are naked... or wearing a pair of fight shorts and no shirt.

Any callered shirt = Gi top
Any pair of pants or long shorts = gi pants.
LMAO, ouch.

Gsoares2 said:
yeah most of the guys i run into the street are naked... or wearing a pair of fight shorts and no shirt.
Ya, but you live in Tampa, Florida. :icon_twis :icon_twis :icon_twis :icon_twis :icon_twis

I think training the gi helps your total grappling because it forces you to slow down and learn the feel of grappling. This is especially good for those who may not be super athletic, they are able to learn at a pace that suits them better. No-gi guys get away with more mistakes earlier on in their training, and have to catch up later in my opinion. Best though is train both from the beginning.

Does anyone else think the gi is just lame? I know there are lots of people who like or dislike the gi for valid reasons, but anyone just think it's lame, and "that's that?"

flyingknee16 said:
Does anyone else think the gi is just lame? I know there are lots of people who like or dislike the gi for valid reasons, but anyone just think it's lame, and "that's that?"
I don't think they are lame; however, I wish they were more like regular jackets so we could wear them outside without everyone staring at you!

flyingknee16 said:

Why would anyone think that? Gi and no-gi both have their advantages and disadvantages.

I should train both and its not very hard to adapt from one to another.

I see it more as a "should i do weight lifting in order to get better in submission grappling?". Like weightlifting gi training helps you further develop some aspects that just training no gi woudn't.

I think the question is... Does Nog wear a gi while training?

demolidor77 said:
I should train both and its not very hard to adapt from one to another.

I see it more as a "should i do weight lifting in order to get better in submission grappling?". Like weightlifting gi training helps you further develop some aspects that just training no gi woudn't.
LOL! I first parsed this message as if you were comparing weight lifting to weight lifting in a gi. :D

Going no-gi to gi is much much harder than going gi to no-gi.

When you take off the gi, everything seems so much easier. It's like grappling with ankle weights, it makes you work a lot harder to get things done, so when you finally take it off, and make a few minor strategic adjustments you'll feel much faster.

Frodo said:
I don't think they are lame; however, I wish they were more like regular jackets so we could wear them outside without everyone staring at you!

They use the gi because a regular jacket would tear after 1-2 classes.

The only difference i noticed when going from gi to nogi was it took some getting used to using over hooks and under hooks instead of just using the lapels. Other than that it was fine..

Soulfly said:
I think the question is... Does Nog wear a gi while training?
Did he win the last adcc absolute? was he in the smemis? i think you have some other questions to ask first.

Nog does MMA now.. Its not the same.

Personally I'll never train in GI because it's not a part of my goal, or what I want to accomplish with my training.

I'm training for MMA so no gi is for me.

you have to start with the gi, but for saying which is harder id definitly say no gi, its much faster pace. passing the gaurd is especially harder. i like no gi better just cause the rolling is intense but its definitly hard to get used to in my opinion

Gsoares2 said:
Did he win the last adcc absolute? was he in the smemis? i think you have some other questions to ask first.

Nog does MMA now.. Its not the same.

I was actually just wondering.

OK one quick question, IF and I mean IF you ever used this on the streets would you say its best to know both as certain types of clothes would fall into the NO GI andGi.

Example a denium jacket would be the Gi and but a t-shirt would be No Gi. Trousers Gi and shorts well you can't grab no pants.

Ankle locks must be brill as most peeps were shoes, I am surprised my BJJ school don't teach this

Mirada said:
Going no-gi to gi is much much harder than going gi to no-gi.

Bingo.

I'm pretty sure that's the point that VampireMonk was trying to make also:

VampireMonk said:
oh yeah I put a guy to sleep using his own clothing
as a weapon against him, WOW, your my hero! I know babe, I know!
speaking of weapons, what are those weapons of mass distractions on your chest?
what these? *shakes her double-Ds side to side* you want my milk shakes baby?
since you know how to put a man to sleep using his own clothes, I bet you know
how to bed a woman really skillfully! Oh yeah baby, I sure do. They all say I'm
the best puny dick they ever had! Oh baby gimme your puny dick! Oh yeah just hold on
it's comming. I love your small cock it can fit anywhere! I know baby I know!!

abhi said:
Example a denium jacket would be the Gi and but a t-shirt would be No Gi. Trousers Gi and shorts well you can't grab no pants.

I'd say using the guy's t-shirt against him (as in a gi choke) is a "gi" technique.
A RNC is no-gi. But anytime you use the clothing to effect a technique, you're technically getting into the gi zone.
Shit, you can choke the shit out of people with their own wife beaters. You don't need collars.

I think he means the shirt isn't strong enough to actually choke someone and may rip.

Kawlinz said:
I think he means the shirt isn't strong enough to actually choke someone and may rip.

Yes thats what I mean, Thanks

Back