Bautista fight sets a bad precedent

Don't get stalled out and there will be no problem.

Striking only matches in the UFC excite the casual crowd, when the crowd shows the same excitement for grappling/wrestling matches like they do striking then it might change but all you hear is booing and jeers at live events whenever grappling/wrestling is involved
You usually sound like a smart person, so don’t take this as a jab to you. It is not about grappling and wrestling. It is about grappling and wrestling to avoid actual fighting. I agree that an mma fight is better with grappling involved, but it should be used to get closer to a finish, not buy you time until the clock ends the round. And I think the same of stand-up point fighters who do the minimum to win a round while circling and avoiding damage. The rules (and judges) allow this, so it is a fair strategy to employ, but you can’t fault those who watch for hating that shit.

It wasn't good for his long term bank to do what he did in this fight. He gets an immediate win bonus, but the UFC isn't going to offer him more fights than what they're obligated, and they'll probably not have him on a PPV again. Not a lot of people will be clamoring to see him fight. Whether they win or lose, the guys who go in there and try to end the fight, standing, grappling, whatever, guys who don't stall and are there to make it clear, they're the ones who get all of the fights, make all of the money, fight on the PPVs, and receive all of the glory, have long UFC careers. Cowboy Cerrone, Jim Miller, Tim Means. Guys like Bautista generally live in the prelims or FN cards, and that's to where he'll be returning. He's gonna have to win 10 like Jon Fitch to ever sniff a title shot. More likely his contract comes up and they either don't offer him a new one, or lowball him so he may not want to re-up. If he wants to make some money while he's a fighter, this wasn't the way to go about it.

I was rooting for Aldo but he’s scared to throw leg kicks now and doesn’t have that killer instinct anymore. He could’ve finished Martinez in Round 3 but instead settled for a safe takedown in his previous fight.
Didn't he have some nasty injury from throwing them and they got checked just right? I may have him confused with someone else but I think he's changed from bad experiences or injuries.

Pathetic judging. Aldo outwrestled him badly in rd 3. I cant recall for the longest time think of a scenario where they favore stalling like that. Because that was what it was. Stalling and trying to survive

I don't know bro, call it boring, call it fighting scared, whatever, but I reserve dishonorable for stuff like cheating. I can't call a guy trying to advance his career and earn for himself and his family legally within the rules dishonorable. But to each their own.
I get your point, and without getting too deep into it (as in, is any means of making a living ethical?), I would argue that it's "dishonorable" because that isn't a viable tactic without the very specific construct in place that you can win a judges' decision. I do really see it like an exploit. Just my 2c

Contrast to point karate where you're actively discouraged from hurting your opponent, and winning on points is the goal.

Maybe these guys should be paid and treated like gladiators to make it a little more realistic

This isn’t just dishonourable behaviour from an elite level fighter, it’s ridiculous to reward such a performance with a 10-9

Fuck this dumb take of calling it "dishonorable".

Yeh, I love bangers, but this ain't rock em sock em robots, it's MMA. cage clinching and whatever other boring shit is still part of it.

It's not like Mario was cheating lol.

You want to blame anyone, blame fucking Aldo. This ain't the first time this has happened to him. Volk did it to him. Merab did it to him. And now Super Mario did it to him.

Maybe the Bum of Rio should learn how to wrestle off the cage instead of getting held there like a child for rounds on end.

All the more reason that the UFC should become a mixed striking combat organisation only and ban grappling/wrestling since casuals who pay for PPVs and tickets find grappling/wrestling boring and only want striking in the UFC

The FOTN at UFC 307 was just a striking match only between Alex & Khalil for example

Striking only matches in the UFC excite the casual crowd, when the crowd shows the same excitement for grappling/wrestling matches like they do striking then it might change but all you hear is booing and jeers at live events whenever grappling/wrestling is involved
Its only for the stalling ( if you want to call it grappling) when exciting grappling happens, they hype ut.

What they never hyped is the holding grappling that bore the piss out of people. Ufc knows they cant get people excited about what they just seen, so they just ignore it.

Its like them saying how awesome watching paint dry is. No one is going to fall for it

The "sport" has been overtaken by this mentality. They're not trying to beat their opponent up, just eek out a win on paper. It's the opposite of what a fight is supposed to be.

I dunno how so many people are still watching.

When moustache man broke them up and the Aldo barely moved away from the fence, that was silly on his part. Then Bautista immediately got him to the fence again.

Bautista looked good striking, I'd say he was getting the better of it, but he still went to that tactic. On the one hand that makes it extra lame, but on the other hand it's smart and disciplined to go to the low risk option, if the referee allows it and the judges reward it.

Back