Friendly Challenge from a Co-Worker

Was it like rolling with a white belt Kiko, or was it a bit more chaotic?

This was such a fun thread . Like almost everyone on here I couldn't imagine a scenario where even a barely passable purple belt can't demolish someone untrained , and that's exactley what we saw. I shouldnt be surprised .

I think more than even the vast skill difference, people really underestimate the cardio and adrenaline involved in BJJ. I remember when I first started how winded I'd get right away and it was mostly adrenaline . We are just on the mat so much we forget what it was like when we started.

Well done! That was fun to watch. The longer version was better than the edited version.

- When you said the dude did crossfit i was expecting someone looking like Mat Fraser, but we got a guy that looks generic henchmen of a action movie!

This was such a fun thread . Like almost everyone on here I couldn't imagine a scenario where even a barely passable purple belt can't demolish someone untrained , and that's exactley what we saw. I shouldnt be surprised .

I think more than even the vast skill difference, people really underestimate the cardio and adrenaline involved in BJJ. I remember when I first started how winded I'd get right away and it was mostly adrenaline . We are just on the mat so much we forget what it was like when we started.

At least I'm a barely passable Purple Belt.

Nice vid and exactly what I expected to happen. Best part is you probably motivated him to start.

At least I'm a barely passable Purple Belt.

No way man, from what I saw your clearly a very high level purple. Shit I wish I can move half as good as you when I hit 50! I bet you would easily kick my ass as badly as you did that guy if we were to roll.

I just couldn't imagine a scenario where a purple belt would lose in this situation, thats all.

Honestly, from what I gather casually viewing this thread over the last few months, you are way too harsh on yourself. Remember that most of us get some self doubts regarding our BJJ abilities sometimes (of often) too. This is very normal in such a competitive sport.

Thank God. If you had lost we would have all been ashamed and have to stop training. Thanks for saving BJJ.

LMAO thanks man, I love his little roll of defeat after that first armbar while you literally run a circle around him.

Poor guy was gassing out just staying in his stance (which admittedly was nice and low, good for him). This is a guy who "does Crossfit"? LMAO.

But really slick moves, I enjoyed your arm drag to back take and that sweep when he was inside your guard. Couldn't quite see what you did from high mount to get him to squeal, though...

You did great Kilo, as expected. Thank God you didn't try to heel hook the poor guy as previously planned , I don't even want to imagine how that would end up

LMAO thanks man, I love his little roll of defeat after that first armbar while you literally run a circle around him.

Poor guy was gassing out just staying in his stance (which admittedly was nice and low, good for him). This is a guy who "does Crossfit"? LMAO.

But really slick moves, I enjoyed your arm drag to back take and that sweep when he was inside your guard. Couldn't quite see what you did from high mount to get him to squeal, though...

If there is anything I learned from doing BJJ is that adrenaline and cardio are completely different and distinct reservoirs of energy you drawn from. You can have the best cardio in the world and still get winded in a minute the second you do a combat and/or competitive sport that is totally foreign to you.

I learned that the hard way: my first competition I was (obviously) very tense and nervous. I gassed out WAY quicker than I ever did at my gym. The lesson I learned from that was to try and relax and control my anxiety and excitment. Unfortunately on my next competition I took that to the extreme and treated my match like just another sparring match back at my gym. Well I learned right away its definitely not.

Just finding the right balance is a challenge in and of itself. And you cant even train that at your gym, you just have to compete a lot to master it. Its purely competitive experience based.

I always think that if I was ever in a situation like Kiko's, the best strategy I would use is to put in minimal effort for like a minute and my untrained opponent will get winded out from the adrenaline overload. This seems to happen a lot with new people we get in, who are otherwise young and fit and totally healthy.

If there is anything I learned from doing BJJ is that adrenaline and cardio are completely different and distinct reservoirs of energy you drawn from. You can have the best cardio in the world and still get winded in a minute the second you do a combat and/or competitive sport that is totally foreign to you.

I learned that the hard way: my first competition I was (obviously) very tense and nervous. I gassed out WAY quicker than I ever did at my gym. The lesson I learned from that was to try and relax and control my anxiety and excitment. Unfortunately on my next competition I took that to the extreme and treated my match like just another sparring match back at my gym. Well I learned right away its definitely not.

Just finding the right balance is a challenge in and of itself. And you cant even train that at your gym, you just have to compete a lot to master it. Its purely competitive experience based.

I always think that if I was ever in a situation like Kiko's, the best strategy I would use is to put in minimal effort for like a minute and my untrained opponent will get winded out from the adrenaline overload. This seems to happen a lot with new people we get in, who are otherwise young and fit and totally healthy.

I'm thinking about competing next year. Sometimes during sparring I'll imagine that I'm in a competition, and it's amazing how the nerves will instantly hit me and I'll freeze up, just as if I'm in a tournament.

Thanks @KikoJones was a very good video. I appreciate it man. You did good. I’m super proud of you representing Jiu Jitsu to filthy casuals.

I'm thinking about competing next year. Sometimes during sparring I'll imagine that I'm in a competition, and it's amazing how the nerves will instantly hit me and I'll freeze up, just as if I'm in a tournament.

Yeah man for sure. It's also hard when your coach and teammates are yelling advice from the side lines

That was great! Thanks for posting the full length video! We all had no doubts you’d crush him.

Back