Friendly Challenge from a Co-Worker

Yeah man for sure. It's also hard when your coach and teammates are yelling advice from the side lines

sometimes i get so flummoxed when people start yelling advice unless it's a very very concrete thing; just triggers my adhd in weird ways. i did one tournament as a white belt where i had a guy in my closed guard and was working a promising triangle setup. my opponent's coach yells "watch the triangle!" and for whatever reason i just immediately stopped going for it. "okay, whatever you say."

sometimes i get so flummoxed when people start yelling advice unless it's a very very concrete thing; just triggers my adhd in weird ways. i did one tournament as a white belt where i had a guy in my closed guard and was working a promising triangle setup. my opponent's coach yells "watch the triangle!" and for whatever reason i just immediately stopped going for it. "okay, whatever you say."

My coaches are awesome but I've had a few occasions where their angles just don't give them the proper view to see what I am going for, and so they yell out advice that might not be the best.

Its stressful sometimes when people are yelling at you from the sidelines.

My coaches are awesome but I've had a few occasions where their angles just don't give them the proper view to see what I am going for, and so they yell out advice that might not be the best.

I love that I get to be the striking coach when cornering. As soon as it hits the ground I shut my mouth and let our head coach do the cornering

Some respect was earned that day. My personal favorite part was the very end after it was over. He was completely drained and had this beautifully defeated/bewildered look on his face while you run around and turn off the clock.

Lmao loved the unedited video more. Great stuff.

BTW, he texted me and is looking for an academy convenient to him. I think that's a win.
Is your academy not convenient for him? You both work at the same place, so I assumed it would be. Then I remembered that I travel an hour each day for work.

Kudos to him for following through and laying his ego on the line. I think this is a really healthy way to wake couch MMA experts up from the delusion that they will just OHKO anyone who gives them grief. It's insane how unrealistically confident people can be when they've never went up against a four stripe white belt.

After you got him in the first sub he was a different person he had that “oh fuck what was that ?” Look on his face. Nice work

Thread delivered big time! As I had said, as a purple belt you had nothing to worry about

Ugh, yeah, that happens to me too. In my last tournament I ignored about half of what my teammates were yelling and did my own thing and it worked pretty well. Like, at one point I was in SLX but my opponent was kneeling so I knew I couldn't sweep, teammates yelling 'sweep!' and I was like 'lol no' and switched to full x THEN came up. But that isn't as bad as my opponent's coach, who forgot the ruleset and kept telling her to do illegal moves lmao. (It was a tournament with an unusually restricted ruleset regarding footlocks).

Kiko do you compete? At Masters divisions you look pretty damn good from what I see. I compete Masters 1 and now 2 (30-40) and even that early we move like dried fossils compared to adult. You looked very loose and athletic IMO

I was deep in an over-under pass and my teammate kept yelling "Watch the triangle", so I backed off.
Lost the match.

I listen to my corners a lot, so the corner makes a big difference.

I like his initial crab walk approach to the start standing. Claws out and everything.

This happens all the time even just in training. Coach at the side of the mats can't see that what he's calling out is completely nullified by a grip that is obscured from his view. I've even experienced it not uncommonly that coach will stop us rolling to show what he means cause he thinks we just don't get it or whatever, which is frustrating.

I think that good coaching should be less about backseat driving as it should be about a predetermined game plan.
And coaches need to also trust their guys that they know what the risks associated with their favourite paths are. Like, any coloured belt who likes to over under pass is cognizant of triangles. Calling it out is just highlighting the risk/opportunity for the opponent to attack.
Call out the time, points, tell them to progress etc. You can tell your guy that he's got the takedown points and can start to think about passing, or you can tell him to knee slice, or dig underhooks or whatever other specific technical instruction. One tells the opponent what he already knows, ie his guard is going to be attacked, the other tells him exactly how.
Technical instruction is for training, the training should suffice for competition, if it doesn't, the competition isn't the time for the remedial training.
/derail

Great job @KikoJones! You made that look like an easy roll. I feel like you could have easily put a lot more hurt down on that dude at will.

I want to answer all the questions at once.
You should do a follow up, let’s hear what he thinks of juijitsu now.
Also wouldn’t mind seeing the full thing just to watch his reactions.
I'll ask him when I return to work next week.

Would love to hear one more thing from you @KikoJones : What did you learn from this experience? I know you were not sure how you’d do. We’re you happy with how your training held up? Id be interested to hear your overall thoughts.
I learned to be trust my Jiu-Jitsu. I was going like maybe 50%. I wanted it to be more of a positive experience.

I forgot to mention that his squeal was terrific

Also, did you let him know that you were going to post it on the internet? Is he aware that he is now Sherdog Grappling forum famous?

Also, did you offer to do another round against the person who was giving out corner advice such as "there you go....squeeze his head!"
I told him before hand that there would be video. After posting he wasn't thrilled. What guy likes to have a video of themselves being handled? I told him that he should approach it as a learning experience. Additionally, I told him I had mad respect for him for following through. So may people talk shit and never get off their couches.

Was it like rolling with a white belt Kiko, or was it a bit more chaotic?
It was very much like rolling with a White Belt. He was much more reluctant to engage until I laid on the floor. It was a trap of course.
White Belts eventually understand that they're not going to die or be disfigured if they engage.

- When you said the dude did crossfit i was expecting someone looking like Mat Fraser, but we got a guy that looks generic henchmen of a action movie!
He's strong as FUCK.

Do you feel less critical about yourself?
Yes. I suck. I will always suck but that's what keeps me going back.

LMAO thanks man, I love his little roll of defeat after that first armbar while you literally run a circle around him.
Couldn't quite see what you did from high mount to get him to squeal, though...
Americana. Locked up the grip, pulled the elbow down to his side and barely lifted.

Is your academy not convenient for him? You both work at the same place, so I assumed it would be. Then I remembered that I travel an hour each day for work.

Kudos to him for following through and laying his ego on the line. I think this is a really healthy way to wake couch MMA experts up from the delusion that they will just OHKO anyone who gives them grief. It's insane how unrealistically confident people can be when they've never went up against a four stripe white belt.
We both live 30 min away in different directions from our facility. My academy is about 3 miles from my house.

Kiko do you compete? At Masters divisions you look pretty damn good from what I see. I compete Masters 1 and now 2 (30-40) and even that early we move like dried fossils compared to adult. You looked very loose and athletic IMO
I last competed 3 years ago. I won Gold at Florida BJJ Championship then IBJJF Masters at Master 5 Blue.
I blew out my L5-S1 disc rolling hard with the big boys. That's why I didn't go for a Single or Double. I'd hate to think what would happen if he sprawled on me.
I also have something wrong with my left wrist and my left ribs. Getting old SUCKS.

One last thing.

Thanks for keeping this tread super positive.

Back