Freestyle wrestling is more effective than folkstyle in mma

• Thread starter Deleted member 512089
  • Start date
Ali Isaev defeated 2 combat sambo world champions but he is an international level freestyle wrestlers. A lhw former greco world champion Aliakbari defeated multi time combat sambo world champion Moldavsky. Chimaev is another fighter with freestyle background at national level but defeated another combat sambo world champion. Freestyle is far better than folkstyle in stand up grappling, takedowns, throws and transition on the ground. Folkstyle is better on ground control, ok, but if you want see Askren vs Fundora...

Now UWW has a wrestling style called Grappling with an interesting stand up point system and submissions. An hibrid style between Freestyle wrestling and submission arts.

Askren-Fundora was a freestyle match.

This type of thread used to make the rounds on Sherdog more often.

I’m an Australian I’ve done a litttle tiny bit of freestyle wresting and a lot of BJJ, what’s the concept with the locked hands in folk style?

no locked hands in dominant positions? Or only on top? And what is the ideology behind this, safety or more scrambling on the floor? So interesting, fill me in shermanos

Tbh folkstyle sucks, just a collegiate wrestling. Who cares? Only Murican care

All of GSPs techniques are folk. Cormier definitely used freestyle but was a folk wrestler first and Khabib doesn’t use many freestyle techniques. I don’t know much about Sambo but I have a feeling that is the main discipline being employed but again don’t know much about it. Just as much as the next guy.
Dagestan is a freakin hotbed of freestyle wrestling if you see Olympic and Worlds. Most of international level medallists are come out there

Almost all those guys with All-American backgrounds, or close to it, have competed in Freestyle as well. They go to the university nationals, do some freestyle tournaments in the off season, etc. Like, just of the top of my head, Frankie Edgar. People know he was a college wrestler, and would probably consider him a folkstyle wrestler. But he competed in freestyle plenty of times.

Incredibile. A pin over an Hungarian opponent! Fundora destroyed Askren in stand up and in ground wrestling. Folkstyle prove to be a very effective base but not in stand up grappling vs freestyle or greco.
Askren has also defeated Fundora, btw.

Back