Freestyle wrestling is more effective than folkstyle in mma

• Thread starter Deleted member 512089
  • Start date
Being good at takedowns is pointless if you can't keep your opponent on the ground. That's why folkstyle is better.

Being good at takedowns is pointless if you can't keep your opponent on the ground. That's why folkstyle is better.

I've heard of this sport called Brazilian jiu jitsu. People say it's good for ground fighting, watch it it might become big in the years to come

I've heard of this sport called Brazilian jiu jitsu. People say it's good for ground fighting, watch it it might become big in the years to come
Congratulations on making yourself look dumb by attempting to write a snarky post.

Or a mediocre takedown artist unable to taking down an apponent and very good on ground control. So freestyle is better. Freestyle ruleset has a scoring system based on takedowns/throws with ground control. Not a simply takedown battle.

Let me start by saying that both are formidable weapons to have un your arsenal. A lot of folkstyle wrestlers have succeeded in the UFC and are actual champs like Usman.

That being said, the propaganda keeps repeating that folkstyle is the most suited to MMA competition because of the ride, because if this and that... People like Chael Sonnen, Ben Askren and such can't shut up about how folkstyle is tailor made for mma, with askren going as far as calling it "the most superior martial arts in existence" (LOL)

But in fact, is it more effective than freestyle wrestling in the context of mma ? If we look at statistic we see that no. The amount of ncaa/college wrestlers is HUGE in the UFC. I think i could name almost a hundred that have wrestled folkstyle in college just by memory. Compared to that, freestyle wrestlers are but a fraction of the wrestlers on the roster. And yet they are much more dominant. All those dagestanis/chechens with wrestling background make it work, both defensively and offensively..

And most of the time when a folkstyle wrestlers fights a freestyle one he loses the wrestling battle. Look at Khabib vs Abel Trujillo, Pat Healy & Gaethje, Makhachev vs Nick Lentz, Askarov vs Benavidez...

The best wrestlers, the most dominant ones, have been freestyle/olympic style wrestlers. Just look at Khabib, GSP & Cormier. Maybe the 3 best wrestlers in MMA history. And all wrestled freestyle (Cormier did also folkstyle i give it to you).

TDLR: Folkstyle wrestling is good for mma but way too overrated, it's not the best wrestling style for mma, freestyle wrestling is, and freestyle beats folkstyle almost each time they fight

EDIT : A very good point made by our friend @Simple'Slam
The type of freestyle wrestling that a lot of the fighters from the Caucas region do isn't like normal freestyle, they do a lot more mat work that freestyle wrestlers do so it's more of a mix of freestyle and folkstyle with judo and Sambo thrown in.

Outside of freestyle wrestlers from the caucas region I think folkstyle wrestling is better for MMA as there is a lot more mat wrestling involved in folkstyle where as freestyle is mostly about takedowns and TDD with very little mat wrestling. A good example of a pure freestyle wrestler is Romero who had very good takedowns and TDD but not very good mat wrestling and someone like Askren is a good example of a folkstyle wrestler where his takedowns and TDD aren't as good but his mat wrestling is significantly better.

Let me start by saying that both are formidable weapons to have un your arsenal. A lot of folkstyle wrestlers have succeeded in the UFC and are actual champs like Usman.

That being said, the propaganda keeps repeating that folkstyle is the most suited to MMA competition because of the ride, because if this and that... People like Chael Sonnen, Ben Askren and such can't shut up about how folkstyle is tailor made for mma, with askren going as far as calling it "the most superior martial arts in existence" (LOL)

But in fact, is it more effective than freestyle wrestling in the context of mma ? If we look at statistic we see that no. The amount of ncaa/college wrestlers is HUGE in the UFC. I think i could name almost a hundred that have wrestled folkstyle in college just by memory. Compared to that, freestyle wrestlers are but a fraction of the wrestlers on the roster. And yet they are much more dominant. All those dagestanis/chechens with wrestling background make it work, both defensively and offensively..

And most of the time when a folkstyle wrestlers fights a freestyle one he loses the wrestling battle. Look at Khabib vs Abel Trujillo, Pat Healy & Gaethje, Makhachev vs Nick Lentz, Askarov vs Benavidez...

The best wrestlers, the most dominant ones, have been freestyle/olympic style wrestlers. Just look at Khabib, GSP & Cormier. Maybe the 3 best wrestlers in MMA history. And all wrestled freestyle (Cormier did also folkstyle i give it to you).

TDLR: Folkstyle wrestling is good for mma but way too overrated, it's not the best wrestling style for mma, freestyle wrestling is, and freestyle beats folkstyle almost each time they fight

EDIT : A very good point made by our friend @Simple'Slam
Khabib and Islam are not freestyle wrestlers and DC is a folkstyle wrestler lol. The most successful true freestyle wrestler is Yoel and he didn't even use wrestling that much more just just overall explosiveness

The type of freestyle wrestling that a lot of the fighters from the Caucas region do isn't like normal freestyle, they do a lot more mat work that freestyle wrestlers do so it's more of a mix of freestyle and folkstyle with judo and Sambo thrown in.

Outside of freestyle wrestler from the caucas region I think folkstyle wrestling is better for MMA as there is a lot more mat wrestling involved in freestyle where as freestyle is mostly about takedowns and TDD with very little mat wrestling. A good example of a pure freestyle wrestler is Romero who had very good takedowns and TDD but not very good mat wrestling and someone like Askren is a good example of a folkstyle wrestler where his takedowns and TDD aren't as good but his mat wrestling is significantly better.

Romero survived on the ground with one of the best bjj champions in the history of ufc. Romero is simply too old for a mma fight based on wrestling.

But his point is that it about the training. Like you said GSP trained with freestyle guys. The freestyle wrestling training is what's making them more effective .
GSPs go to takedown was a blast double, a folkstyle move , his top game was also folkstyle based.

Khabib and Islam are not freestyle wrestlers and DC is a folkstyle wrestler lol. The most successful true freestyle wrestler is Yoel and he didn't even use wrestling that much more just just overall explosiveness

Khabib base is freestyle wrestling. Like Cejudo. After, the Russian trains in judo pankration sambo and grappling but his base is called freestyle wrestling. Cormier is not a pure folkstyle wrestler like Rosholt...

GSPs go to takedown was a blast double, a folkstyle move , his top game was also folkstyle based.
Obviously being as freestyle has very little top control, he would use a more folk approach. But blast double I'd say is pretty universal. Burroughs is a freestyle wrestler who's go to move is a blast double as well. MMA wrestling is basically a blend of the 2. Folk has a much stronger focus on control time. Freestyle has a much stronger focus on getting the takedown

Khabib base is freestyle wrestling. Like Cejudo. Cormier is not a pure folkstyle wrestler like Rosholt...

Link me some freestyle tournaments khabib entered. His base is sambo. DC wrestled folkstyle his entire life before doing a few years of freestyle. Cejudo base is folkstyle + boxing

Or a mediocre takedown artist unable to taking down an apponent and very good on ground control. So freestyle is better. Freestyle ruleset has a scoring system based on takedowns/throws with ground control. Not a simply takedown battle.
Folkstyle wrestlers are very competent at takedowns. Freestyle wrestlers focus more on explosive takedowns and elevation than being able to maintain control after getting the takedown. Ground control is much less emphasized in freestyle. Most of the time, after a takedown is secured, the bottom wrestler just flattens out and waits for the ref to stand them back up.

Obviously being as freestyle has very little top control, he would use a more folk approach. But blast double I'd say is pretty universal. Burroughs is a freestyle wrestler who's go to move is a blast double as well. MMA wrestling is basically a blend of the 2. Folk has a much stronger focus on control time. Freestyle has a much stronger focus on getting the takedown
Lol no American is a freestyle wrestler. All of their life is folkstyle. Burroughs was hitting blast double in NCAA he is simply so good at it that he is able to use it in freestyle with success. No Eastern euros are hitting doubles

Freestyle wrestling has all the folkstyle attacks and many other techniques banned in folkstyle wrestling. GSP has a Russian freestyle wrestling coach.
GSPs coach isn't teaching him freestyle he's teaching him wrestling for MMA.

Link me some freestyle tournaments khabib entered. His base is sambo. DC wrestled folkstyle his entire life before doing a few years of freestyle. Cejudo base is folkstyle + boxing

Ahahah few years. Cormier won his first international wrestling medal in 1995.

Romero survived on the ground with one of the best bjj champions in the history of ufc. Romero is simply too old for a mma fight based on wrestling.
Jacare is a lot more of a top game Grappler than is off of his back also even when Romero was younger he wasn't very good at wrestling in MMA at least on the ground. There's a reason why the freestyle Grapplers from the caucus region have much better ground game and it's because they also do Judo and Sambo

Back