Free Tech-- KB's for Guard Passing

Yeah I do BJJ and this would not be NEAR as effective as other lifts for guard passing IMO...

I don't understand how it's more relevant than movements like the clean and press, front squat, or turkish getup.

I'd consider the movement more or less a variation of a turkish getup-ish kind of thing.
I think it's a decent little lift, but I wouldn't drop the lifts you recommend to do it. I may add it to a workout, probably a gpp / conditioning day, and do it as fast as possible. Maybe even holding dbs overhead, or with a bar.

I like the ideas of starting from the knees.

I don't think I'd use kettle bells though, just to protect my manly image. Sandbags maybe.

OR, just practice actual guard passing!

A revolutionary concept, I know.

If all we did was technique practice to get better at technique most of us wouldn't be here. The OP said he thought the exercise would help an athlete improve their standard guard passing. I don't see anything wrong with that other than as already pointed out the resistance is limited to what you clean with the KB. A nice heavy sandbag might be a good alternative.

A nice heavy sandbag might be a good alternative.

Agreed. I may try this soon while kind of zercher hugging (?) a heavy bag.
I'm always looking for strength stuff that focuses on the transition between the ground and stand up.

Might as well do a lift that is going to focus more on overall strength (deadlifts) thus helping your guard pass, rather than isolating the lift to merely focus on guard passing. Its an interesting novelty lift but hardly necessary. This is the bicep curl of KB compound lifts

Agreed. I may try this soon while kind of zercher hugging (?) a heavy bag.
I'm always looking for strength stuff that focuses on the transition between the ground and stand up.

Yeah thats crazy focusing on guard strength passing for passing guard is crazy.

Any posts yet from experienced grappler's that lift?

Anf for those who don't train, what would you know about gaurd passing?

I just said I do BJJ... have for about 7 years... and I lift... *quick check* yup I meet your requirements... so let me tell you... you sir, are a ghey.

Its a weighted exercise simulating the exact motion required to stand in the guard. Which is the basis for all standing passes...

I dont mean this in a rude way, but do you two train JJ?

the EXACT MOTION?

Muahahahahhaahhahahahahahahahahaahahahaahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahaahahh!

Thanks for the hard laughter -> no ab-workout today!

Well that is pretty much the motion for standing up in guard.

I think BB has a good idea with using the sandbag, although i wouldn't bearhug it, i would rather hold it like i had hold of someones lapels and i was standing up.

14261JJ.jpg

AS wins.

Is this the meathead only section?

Del,

We have a powerlifting forum sitting in the middle of an MMA Web site. If you dare to come in and ask a Q about how lifting relates to standup, rolling, takedowns, etc. (you know, the ostensible purposes of the Web site) you will be flamed mercilessly. None of us understand it; we've just come to accept it.

Best,

JLS

Del,

We have a powerlifting forum sitting in the middle of an MMA Web site. If you dare to come in and ask a Q about how lifting relates to standup, rolling, takedowns, etc. (you know, the ostensible purposes of the Web site) you will be flamed mercilessly. None of us understand it; we've just come to accept it.

Best,

JLS

You're racist.

We're not all power lifters. In fact, I think less than 10 are.

You're racist.

We're not all power lifters. In fact, I think less than 10 are.

Hold on. I'm going to start a new thread about this, because this is something I've been wondering about for awhile.

I'll link.

People that have actually competed: Lusst, ReMy, Donut, Smash, NerdKing, Carnal....

and I'm stuck.

Back