Free Tech-- Canopener Neck Crank Defense

Yeah you're right, like i said, go tell Josh Barnett that tripod position is full of shit...

You're not even a fighter, just a close minded bjj guy prick. Just a kid who know one and only one thing : Bjj and you think you will impress me with that?? When someone is dont agree with you, he's just a noob and you're starting your little bullying trick.

Have a nice day, Keyboard Warrior.

Ok, i'm going to start taking karate, tae kwon do, muay thai, judo, sambo, and catch pro wrestling. I'm going to learn a few techniques from each art, but still suck at each and every one of them. Are you going to be impressed? This proves I'm open minded right? This pretty much describes you.

I applaud you that you are taking different arts, but you still suck at all of em. Unfortunately, open mindedness alone does not win fights.

Where the fuck i said i was always using can opener to open closed guard?? I said i'm using it in a tripod position. I also said that i'm using it in mma context, dont you even read my posts???

You are decorated? And you're training mma ??? Please, dont make me laught. I can garatee you that if we put mma gloves and you put me in your whore postion, i will tripod and beat the hell out of you. It's a very common and dominant position in MMA. You're just ignorant, go get some medals and let the real man fight.

As far as training with noob, check this out : Tristar Gym - About Tristar gym

this time i'm out of it for good, have a nice day, keyboard warriors

Glorfindel you still haven't showed us a video/picture of this superior tripod position you highly speak about.

I had a few people tripod up inside the guard and try neck cranks on me in tournaments, but they usually try to apply shoulder pressure to pass... maybe this works against newbs, but to me it was a fucking gift; not one of them lasted over the 30 second mark before I submitted them. this is in the Expert/Advanced Division too so I assume they're at least decent wrestlers as it's supposed to be 5 years and up.

i think if you press up the guy against the cage, the tripod position can be good....maybe thats what hes talking about(like you cant sweep the guy over your head or underhook his leg since your pressed up against the cage(since hes talkin about mma context)....

and LOL at how grifondel keeps saying everyone is close minded, but keeps insisting that the closed guard is called the "whore" position....

this thread was good, and it turned into trash, i guess thats what happens when members do a good deed and upload free instructionals and post them. Will this technique work on jeff monson? possibly not, but i can see this working on the white belt who saw the can opener online an wants to do it in class the same night...which is good since it shows him that he shouldnt use the can opener to open peoples guards at an early stage. thats why i think this technique is good.

thanks for uploading it dell

i think if you press up the guy against the cage, the tripod position can be good....maybe thats what hes talking about(like you cant sweep the guy over your head or underhook his leg since your pressed up against the cage(since hes talkin about mma context)....

and LOL at how grifondel keeps saying everyone is close minded, but keeps insisting that the closed guard is called the "whore" position....

this thread was good, and it turned into trash, i guess thats what happens when members do a good deed and upload free instructionals and post them. Will this technique work on jeff monson? possibly not, but i can see this working on the white belt who saw the can opener online an wants to do it in class the same night...which is good since it shows him that he shouldnt use the can opener to open peoples guards at an early stage. thats why i think this technique is good.

thanks for uploading it dell

You got me. I use the term 'whore position' 'cause i was pissed off. The funny thing is i'm doing bjj since the first day i did mma. I only add catch since 4 month. I'm still trying to put a dam pic, and yes, i'm talking tripod in mma, with a good posture you will not underhook my leg, plus, you will have to fight my elbows.

The tricky part is to dont let you over commit when throwing elbows or punches, 'cause you can be swept or submit. The other difficult part of it is to 'feel' the guys when he will start working his hips, if you dont see it comming, you will lose position. If you see (feel) it comming, you can adjust the posture to 'follow' him. You have to feel you weight and put it in the right side to avoid problems. In this position, the life of the guy in the bottom realy suck, so he will try something and you're not in big danger 'cause you can always posture up and grab a leg (if he try to open or something).

I will simply take a shot of my screen with my cam dam it!

Edit : dam, now i've got the pics but i cant post directly on sherdog...It ask me for an url, so i suppose that i have to put the pics on a sharing web site ect..I dont have any account for that...Forget the pics...

Ok, thx to Deloitte for the upload part.

sherdog2vt0.th.jpg

sherdog1pm0.th.jpg

Since i was not a

Yea this position sucks ass in pure grappling, not just GI. Which is what everyone was saying the whole time.

well for mma maybe its not so bad, but what is the purpose for that tripod position? how are you going to pass the guys guard? I can see from an mma context if the guys up against the cage it can be a pain to deal with, but i dont really see how it is better then say posturing up and using conventional gnp or guardpassing....

and if this position is good, how come I have never seen anyone use it? surely guys like fedor would use it if it was good? I dont know though..i dont do mma...just watch.

from bjj perspective, I think the guy on the bottom should open his legs up and go for hook sweeps, or over the head sweeps and transition into open guard. I dont know though, never seen it...

Especially for lightweights, I don't think tripoding is a good strategy even in MMA. Against a cage it is ok because you pin him and take away over half of his mobility. But somewhere else I don't find it useful. Last week, I actually showed several sweeps and submissions when a guy tripods like that in your guard.

yea its a weird position, in the first picture, barnett puts his head into the guys face, and controls the guys biceps....i mean its good to frustrate the guy and control him, but what does it solve? you cant really strike(since your releasing the double bicep control and will move ur head), and you cant pass guard either....so is it a LNP position?

Good, that is exactly the shit position I was thinking of, and it absolutely sucks. You suck at grappling if you think it's any good, and your training
partners suck if it works on them. (period)

Like i said, go tell Barnett or Couture that position suck. I find it quit amazing that a guys can say that a position suck when he didnt even do mma. My partner suck? You can make search here on sherdog on : Sebastien Gauthier, David Savard, Guillaume DeLaurenzi, Steve Claveau to name you a few...

It's a gnp position, the point is it's easy to escape wahtever the guy in botom will try to do, you just posture up and you can grab a leg. Actualy, you see that often with guy with wrestling backgroud. You should not whatch mma very often 'cause , yes, some guys use that position. Randy Couture used it quit some times. Barnett to. I wiil surely not make you a research given you wich fighter, and the time in the fight he was using thta tech, i have other thing to do.

But like you said, you dont use it, so it cant be good, since you're an mma fighter...

Just try it guys, practice it, it's a good position for gnp and you're not in any danger and the life of the guys in the bottom suck. The point is attacking the guard, not just try to pass, that's the hole point of the instructional.

But like my little bjj friends said here, Barnett is just a noob, a noob who was able to win over Mashida (olympic gold medalist in judo), Natsula (olympics medalist in judo), Big nog (the best hw bjj guy in mma) with his sloppy catch wreslting noob tech.

The funny part is most of people who say that tech suck are not mma guys, they dont know what is it. They dont know what is it to get punched when they have someone in their super duper closed guard, they jsut dont know what they're talking about. They are the noobs, just ignorant, closed mind bjj noob.

You know what? That's true, i'm not as good as most of you in bjj, i'm not as good as a boxer in striking neighter better than a wrestler in wrestling.

You know why? 'cause i'm a Mixed Martial Artist, not a keyboard warrior who take bjj class and think that Gracie bjj is the end of the world.

I was realy laughing my ass off when i saw the Marcello Garcia mma fight. I was exactly thinking : Dam, another dude who think that bjj is everything. Marcello got his ass kicked by a mma journey man with an impressive 3-3 record. I hope he learn something from that.

Repeat that 100 times : BJJ is not the only 'way', Bjj is not the only way...

let's get something very clear. As much as barnett tries to claim to be a "catch guy" he has trained in several styles with people who has trained in bjj,judo,shootfighting ect.

let's get something very clear. As much as barnett tries to claim to be a "catch guy" he has trained in several styles with people who has trained in bjj,judo,shootfighting ect.

You are right, but some people are trying to say that Barnett is just a strong guy, with experience and no techniques...Most of catch sub are very close to bjj one. An arm bar is an arm bar dam it! There is a lot of misconception about catch.

If this position works for Barnett, why it shouldnt work for us?? It's not even a hard tech to learn, but you have to practice it to feel it. Shifting your weight(to avoid any sweep or sub) at the right moment is not easy at the beginning, but when you have it, the gnp is quiet good.

but i'm just a noob.

that being said. I see nothing wrong with stacking high. But people do not gnp from the tripod. They use the tripod to get into a gnp postion. Guys like randy don't really gnp from the tripod.. it's more of a transitional position.

You are right, but some people are trying to say that Barnett is just a strong guy, with experience and no techniques...If this position works for Barnett, why it shouldnt work for us?? It's not even a hard tech to learn, but you have to practice it to feel it. Shifting your weight(to avoid any sweep or sub) at the right moment is not easy at the beginning, but when you have it, the gnp is quiet good.

Because barnett is a very talented heavyweight. He is extremely agile and strong even for a hw. And i see nothing wrong with it...

I was realy laughing my ass off when i saw the Marcello Garcia mma fight. I was exactly thinking : Dam, another dude who think that bjj is everything. Marcello got his ass kicked by a mma journey man with an impressive 3-3 record. I hope he learn something from that.

Repeat that 100 times : BJJ is not the only 'way', Bjj is not the only way...

Did you also laugh your ass off when you realized:

LW UFC Champ: BJ Penn Black Belt in BJJ
WW UFC Champ: GSP Brown Belt in BJJ
MW UFC Champ: Anderson Silva Black Belt in BJJ
HW UFC Champ: Big Nog Black Belt in BJJ

Also Marcelo doesn't think BJJ is everything, hence him going out to train MMA. He needed time to adapt. He got his ass kicked? Did you even watch the fight? He had his back for the whole first round.

This thread is fucking stupid. A bunch of people ripping on catch wrestling to spite one guy they don't like very much. Good one.

Back