Frankie Edgar is a really small dude...

IMO Frankie should get as much credit for taking a belt at LW as BJ gets for taking one at WW.

just because he started his ufc run there and moved down later doesn't make it any less impressive to me. it was as clear a case of winning a belt at a higher than natural weight class as you could get. he doesn't get enough love for it around here.

Do you think Edgar got robbed?

When I watched the fight, I thought Aldo won. The stats McgreGOATsLeft posted give me pause; maybe I need to watch again. In any case, if Aldo deserves the W, it has to be for reasons that don't show up in those stats: they show Edgar was the aggressor and gave as much as he took.

What is a fighters optimal weight class? Plenty of fighters could fight at many weight classes, they just need the time/diet to maximize their efforts. Frankie started at, and geared his body towards lightweight, at the time, that was his optimal weight class. Bj went from his optimal at the time (155) to 170, its not the same thing. People gave GSP shit for saying he had to go up in weight correctly to fight Anderson... which it was true, you can't just put on 15 lbs of weight and expect it to be the same as putting on 15 lbs of weight the right way. If Cormier stopped eating popeyes and in 2 years fought at 170, would you claim he won the belt 2 weight classes above his "natural" weight class?

When I watched the fight, I thought Aldo won. The stats McgreGOATsLeft posted give me pause; maybe I need to watch again. In any case, if Aldo deserves the W, it has to be for reasons that don't show up in those stats: they show Edgar was the aggressor and gave as much as he took.
image.jpeg

49-46 Aldo, 110%.

What type of Hobbit would you classify him as? A Stoor, Harfoot or Fallohide

I did, I said it a million times leading up to the fight.
I mean how could anyone possibly believe Frankie would win? Aldo is a NIGHTMARE for him.

winning is one thing, he won their first fight, but Aldo looked unbelievable this time around. based on their first fight and the improvements Edgar had made since, and Aldo seeming to be declining after all of those injuries and layoffs, yeah I thought Edgar would probably win.

I hope you made money though.

winning is one thing, he won their first fight, but Aldo looked unbelievable this time around. based on their first fight and the improvements Edgar had made since, and Aldo seeming to be declining after all of those injuries and layoffs, yeah I thought Edgar would probably win.

I hope you made money though.
Aldo is Frankie's worst nightmare though is the thing. I never thought that Aldo was declining, I simply thought that he lost to the superior fighter and one of his worst match ups in McGregor.
Another thing to keep in mind is that Frankie is rather old while Aldo is still very young, Frankie has no chance.

IMO Frankie should get as much credit for taking a belt at LW as BJ gets for taking one at WW.

just because he started his ufc run there and moved down later doesn't make it any less impressive to me. it was as clear a case of winning a belt at a higher than natural weight class as you could get. he doesn't get enough love for it around here.
Also, he was robbed in one of the Bendo fights, his career could have been very different if that didn't happen

Frankie is great.. but it was kinda right man at the right time kinda thing.

He would have never been a LW champ if it wasn't for BJ penn being out of his prime (And BJ probably won the first fight)

And He lost to Jose two times, the second time he was absolutely outclassed.

Amazing that he was ufc 155 champ. I think Frankie with some sacrifice could reach the 125 division and give MM the fight of his life.

He's a bit muscly for flyweight. Youre going too far. Edgar said if he "really wanted to" he could make BW.

Amazing that he was ufc 155 champ.

Yeah, the guy is one of the best and bravest in the history of the sport.

Skills up the wazzoo and the heart of 17 warriors.

I thought wdgar beqt aldo in their first fight, didn't see the s3cond one but from the looks of it edgar got murked

He apparently weighed 158 always and just took a dump to make weight. Mighty Mouse used to weigh 138 and did the same thing for Bantamweight fights.

I would call Frankie a natural lightweight since he can make the weight class without water manipulation / dehydration. I call MM natural weight class 135 but his optimal weight class is Flyweight.
I have no idea what weight class is Frankie's optimal it may be Featherweight because he may be too drained at Bantamweight.
But yes BJ,Edgar,Sakuraba,Igor Vovchanchyn etc always get more respect from me than skeletors on weigh in day.

Back