Frank Mir shuts down WWE haters: You know Bruce Lee didn’t do any real fights, right?

Mir Is p4p one of.the smartest fighters ever.

MMA fighters shouldn't look to a dying form of entertainment as a post-fighting career career.

Yes he did. Frank's brain is scrambled eggs at this point. Just like he said you're not a real fighter if you tap to strikes only to tap to strikes .

WWE sucks for WAY more reasons than that it is fake. Holy fuck --just watch 5 minutes of it and ask yourself how debased and ignorant you have to be to consider it entertainment at all.......

WWE is worse trash than Jerry Springer and daytime soap operas......

I used to watch it back in the day. Back in the day for me was from when I was about 5 or 6 watching with my grandpa, to when I was in grad school watching with friends.

I don't remember ever in my life, even when I was 5 or 6, thinking it was real. I also don't remember ever, even in grad school, thinking it was somehow beneath me. I once wrote an essay on it concerning Bakhtin's theories of the carnivalesque (Roland Barthes once wrote an essay on professional wrestling, as well).

None of which is to suggest you have to like it. Just that maybe there are nuances to wrestling as a spectacle, and a certain amount of complexity to its audience, that you aren't fully appreciating... much like is true of other sorts of things that people dismiss off hand like, oh... say... MMA, for instance.

I'm no expert on him but I don't think it was Bruce Lee claiming he was the best fighter in the world or telling all these stories about fights no one else saw. It was other people saying it after he was dead to try and make money off his name. you can't blame a guy for other people saying stuff about them when they aren't even there to refute it.

anyone who thinks Bruce Lee would stand any chance against Mir is an idiot.

I doubt anyone was making fun of Frank specifically for doing it

Pretty sure Lee was a martial artist first and an actor second, but for some reason people get butt hurt over this.

frank-mir-headphones.gif

Bruce fought all the time in what people call smokers. Just because it's not on TV, doesn't mean it didn't happen. Talk to people that actually knew him.

Not to be a contrarian but other than some rumored non-sanctioned boxing matches that supposedly took place in Hong Kong there's no evidence of these "smokers" that you referencing here ever took place. In fact, the only confirmed competitions that Lee took part in were dancing contests in which he won for his proficiency in the Cha Cha.
Then, when he came to the USA he certainly didn't engage in any "smokers" unless you're counting his infamous duel with Wong Jack Man. Other than that the extent of his fighting career was limited to his prolific sparring sessions with an array of fellow martial artists & students none of which were fights to determine a winner.

Frank will work his way into WWE and then get a match with Brock then pull a Daniel Puder on his ass lol

Not to be a contrarian but other than some rumored non-sanctioned boxing matches that supposedly took place in Hong Kong there's no evidence of these "smokers" that you referencing here ever took place. In fact, the only confirmed competitions that Lee took part in were dancing contests in which he won for his proficiency in the Cha Cha.
Then, when he came to the USA he certainly didn't engage in any "smokers" unless you're counting his infamous duel with Wong Jack Man. Other than that the extent of his fighting career was limited to his prolific sparring sessions with an array of fellow martial artists & students none of which were fights to determine a winner.

Just telling you what I heard from his contemporaries. Believe or not. I don't care.

Former Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) heavyweight champion Frank Mir, who continued his mixed martial arts (MMA) career with Bellator MMA, is making his professional wrestling debut under Josh Barnett’s “Bloodsport” banner on April 4 in New Jersey.

Not surprisingly, a large contingent of combat sports fans threw shade at Mir for his decision to participate in “fake” fighting. Perhaps in their minds, the existence of pro wrestling somehow cheapens the “real” competitive aspect of cage fighting.

“I hate when they’re like, ‘Oh, it’s fake,’” Mir told MMA Fighting. “Okay, hold on a second. You sit there and clamor about Bruce Lee. You know Bruce Lee didn’t do any real fights, right? That was all choreographed. But there was still danger. Guys still went to the hospital. Same thing. I’ve watched guys in pro wrestling actually die. It’s very dangerous. It’s very injury heavy. So anytime somebody says ‘that’s fake,’ I always laugh. That’s laughable. You couldn’t even begin to do what they’re doing. Extremely strenuous, on the fly, working with another human component, while there’s a crowd watching.”

In addition, Mir turns 40 in May and the window to his MMA career is rapidly closing. Perhaps a foray into the pro wrestling world can eventually lead to his oft-teased Brock Lesnar trilogy inside the squared circle.

“I’m not opposed to it, man,” Mir said. “I actually like it. I always wanted a third one. And however, wherever it could take place.”

https://www.mmamania.com/platform/a...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

Actually Bruce did do some real fights, but he got his ass whooped

I used to watch it back in the day. Back in the day for me was from when I was about 5 or 6 watching with my grandpa, to when I was in grad school watching with friends.

I don't remember ever in my life, even when I was 5 or 6, thinking it was real. I also don't remember ever, even in grad school, thinking it was somehow beneath me. I once wrote an essay on it concerning Bakhtin's theories of the carnivalesque (Roland Barthes once wrote an essay on professional wrestling, as well).

None of which is to suggest you have to like it. Just that maybe there are nuances to wrestling as a spectacle, and a certain amount of complexity to its audience, that you aren't fully appreciating... much like is true of other sorts of things that people dismiss off hand like, oh... say... MMA, for instance.

You can add all the fancy words and concepts to it that you want but it will not make the egoic degenerate prideful and highly sexual nature of WWE any less present and problematic.

I consider letting a child watch it to be a form of neglect and bad parenting too.. I am assuming it has devolved to its present state though and was not always in such a poor condition although it was never good.

Also I don't mean to suggest WWE is beneath me personally as an individual. I mean WWE is beneath human dignity itself and people in general. It appeals to and brings out the lowest in human nature.

Can one view it as an educational experience? Yes.. of course. As a form of entertainment it has no redeeming qualities however.

As for its similarities to MMA I can't see many to be honest. I will say this though. Since the rise of Conor and what he brought to the sport I have totally ceased recommending MMA to anyone and the presence of ring girls is something I intentionally overlook and take no pleasure in.

I am a martial artist and so far as I am concerned there is a great good in testing the effectiveness of martial arts proving them and improving them to better defend those in need.

[<diva3}<MaryseShutIt><Y2JSmirk>

Last edited by a moderator:
He's bad mouthing bruce lee...I got news for ya frankie...mma is not a real fight...and bruce lee had plenty of real fights...i'm talking real fights...not a sporting event with rules...and a ref, telling you what you can and can't do...bruce used to laugh at those types of contests...Bruce trained for real fights...and there are many many stories of bruce having tons of street fights, pretty much his entire life....and I will not debate this...you are free to disagree and think "he was just an actor" which is what some on here think...which couldn't be further from the truth...

Other than scrapes that he may have gotten into as a schoolboy in Hong Kong, when did all of these street fights supposedly occur? Other than his duel with Wong Jack Man I'm hardpressed to recall any other accounts of Lee's supposedly prolific streetfighting career & I was one of the man's biggest fans back in the day who read a plethora of books about him.

He's bad mouthing bruce lee...I got news for ya frankie...mma is not a real fight...and bruce lee had plenty of real fights...i'm talking real fights...not a sporting event with rules...and a ref, telling you what you can and can't do...bruce used to laugh at those types of contests...Bruce trained for real fights...and there are many many stories of bruce having tons of street fights, pretty much his entire life....and I will not debate this...you are free to disagree and think "he was just an actor" which is what some on here think...which couldn't be further from the truth...

if you go by the people that he actually trained with and sparred with and if you take them at their word, the guy was a freak of nature, when it came to speed and power and reflexes...world champions, like jim kelly, joe lewis, Bob Wall and even chuck norris...have all said bruce was a freak...so, the haters can sit there and say, "hes never had a real fight" well, whats a real fight? you call mma a real fight?? not even close....there are so many rules, it's crazy..I'd wager good money, that bruce was in many more "real" fights than mir...and most mma fighters...

People said the same thing about Ed Parker who turned out to be one of the greatest fakest martial artist of all time.

He’s right
Bruce Lee is combat sports biggest fraud
People think he can fight MMA fighters
There is literally zero evidence the guy could fight
Inb4 sparring footage with Japanese bum

<36>

Bruce lee is a martial arts legend. Not a combat sports legend.

Exactly.

Saying Bruce Lee would lose to MMA fighters is like saying Sun Tzu would die in a gunfight with a Navy Seal. Heck, Sun Tzu might have impeccably shitty aim but he's still a legend in warfare.

Actually Bruce did do some real fights, but he got his ass whooped

Nonsense. Lee never had any losses. Nor did he have any victories. Unless, again, one wants to consider his duel with Wong Jack Man. Other than that there are no detailed accounts of any fights of any kind that he was involved in.
Yes, he engaged in a lot of sparring with his contemporaries & students. Many of them legends in their own right but sparring is sparring & fighting is fighting. I sparred with Ray Leonard but I can't claim to have actually fought him. As we all know, there's a big difference between the two.

Back