Frank Mir heavily criticizes JDS' submission game.

SL9

Believe
Reaction score
Frank Mir On Cain/jds: "I actually had it 50/50 going in, I still felt that Velasquez, I've always said one of the most well rounded heavyweights. I think that he was potentially the most dangerous guy, but obviously Junior's takedown defense and his hands always make it something to always pay attention to. Even as dominating as Velasquez was, some of the body punches Junior started throwing and moving around, he's some body that's never really out of the fight, so that's why I put it as a 50/50. Do I think that Velasquez is the better martial artist? Absolutely. He's more well rounded. He can do takedown, he can avoid takedowns, he can box, obviously he landed more punches and threw more punches in the match when it did box. And on the ground he at least went for a submission attempt. Everybody says Junior has submissions on the ground, I think after now we can go close the book on that, after 25-minutes he went for zero attempts, so."

"Even losing he didn't jump for nothing, so. I think that after the second or third round of being taken down, I expected him to do something else besides stand up again. I think that, you know, knowing, you know, on the feet he's obviously looking for the knockout, then why on the ground aren't you looking for the knockout submission? If you're taken down why aren't you still moving your hips to go and move for things? But obviously just things he probably doesn't do very well because I think he's a victim of his own success. He's so successful at boxing and avoiding the ground, he probably honestly I mean how much training does the guy do on the ground? It was pretty evident in the fight not a lot. "

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Frank Mir shouldn't have stood up with him then and took him to the ground. Maybe then he would've at least had a chance at winning the belt.

I think Mir is spot on. JDS never was a legit BJJ black belt. Velasquez almost had that armbar, and lost it due to both bodies being so slippery.

i love it when an overrated exposed fighter talks smack about another overrated exposed fighter.

Hard to argue with anything Mir said there. As he said JDS is a victim of his own success, but he needs to add that extra to his game for the next time he takes on Cain.

I think Mir is spot on. JDS never was a legit BJJ black belt. Velasquez almost had that armbar, and lost it due to both bodies being so slippery.

lol.

you get hit that much, your submission game is not going to be super-sharp. seems harsh.

Frank Mir shouldn't have stood up with him then and took him to the ground. Maybe then he would've at least had a chance at winning the belt.

Mir couldn't take Dos Santos down so he had to stand with him.

Mir didn't say Dos Santos wasn't a legit black belt, he just said his ground game wasn't as good as some were implying. He's right that Dos Santos didn't attempt submissions.

Even Junior already said he didn't use his jiu jitsu, why does he need a previous victim to repeat it for him?
That's the difference between someone liek Anderson Silva, who, besides being the best striker in his division, will still fight guys from the bottom and work his jiu jitsu. JDS had a i'm a better boxer mind and never bothered to use his jiu jitsu, instead he just looked to push Cain away to stand up.

ps: When did Cain go for a submission? i can't remember that.

In before insecure JDS fans come in and act like Mir isn't credible to comment on anything JDS because he lost

Mir couldn't take Dos Santos down so he had to stand with him.

Mir didn't say Dos Santos wasn't a legit black belt, he just said his ground game wasn't as good as some were implying. He's right that Dos Santos didn't attempt submissions.

I didn't say Mir said it, I'm the one saying it :)
JDS never was good on the ground. He hasn't gotten worse imo...Just never was good.

if JDS is so weak at subs and Mir knows so much, why didnt he sub JDS?
mir is annoying at times

Sounds funny coming from a guy that did not take him to the ground in his fight, instead he got punched in the face really hard. Bet you that JDS is not impressed with and is critical of Mirs stand up game. Not a big fan of Mir never have been, he is an awesome fighter but just the way he handles himself and the shit he says.

I didn't say Mir said it, I'm the one saying it :)
JDS never was good on the ground. He hasn't gotten worse imo...Just never was good.

Dos Santos is a black belt, so he's good. It just depends on what you think is good.

What comes to my mind thinking about JDS blackbelt:

happy-meal.jpg

I think that, you know, knowing, you know, on the feet he's obviously looking for the knockout, then why on the ground aren't you looking for the knockout submission?

funny-gif-Nathan-Fillion-Castle.gif

Wha-... I... but... oh, carry on. :icon_neut

EDIT:
In before insecure JDS fans come in and act like Mir isn't credible to comment on anything JDS because he lost

No, we're reasonable people. JDS himself acknowledged that he should've used his ground game more instead of trying to get up every single time.

Even Junior already said he didn't use his jiu jitsu, why does he need a previous victim to repeat it for him?
That's the difference between someone liek Anderson Silva, who, besides being the best striker in his division, will still fight guys from the bottom and work his jiu jitsu. JDS had a i'm a better boxer mind and never bothered to use his jiu jitsu, instead he just looked to push Cain away to stand up.

ps: When did Cain go for a submission? i can't remember that.

He went for an armbar but JDS defended it well. Can't remember the round.

Last edited:
Back