Frank Mir heavily criticizes JDS' submission game.

I think that people who thought JDS had a solid submission game(though I don't remember any particulars) were coming off unrealistic expectations, even if he's a black belt he'd never been off his back on a real MMA fight.

INB4 JDS heavily criticizes Mir's stand-up game...

STFU MIR
dos-santos-hammerfist.gif

I didn't see Frank throw up any submissions against Brock the second time around when he was on his back.

what submission game lol??

jds bjj bb is obviously not legit

How many black belts do you think can translate their submission game into an actual MMA fight with 0 experience off their back? Not a ton. Add that to the fact JDS's game plan was always to stand up and it's ridiculous to claim his black belt wasn't legit, he's been training in BJJ since before he started training MMA.

Thoughts?

Why didn't Mir sub Lesnar in the second fight? I don't recall too many attempts that night. Mir is all hot air. He got spanked by Cigano, will get manhandled by Cormier, and then maybe he can stop all this bullshit and concentrate on a career as a commentator.

I am sure people will bring up the Mir JDS fight but in this interview Mir speaks the truth, he gives JDS a lot of praise in this interview but criticizes his submission game which clearly was lacking against Velasquez.

Dos Santos is getting hated on a lot recently. That's not cool at all, he deserves more respect.

JDS will never be champion again if he doesn't expand his game. Obviously the guy has great boxing, but he never uses his black belt. And Mir was on point with his quote. He might be a black belt but he might actually use his jiu jitsu like a blue belt. People can talk about how he is a black belt and has good JJ all they want ... its not a valid argument because he hasn't showed any sign of great grappling or submissions.

you get hit that much, your submission game is not going to be super-sharp. seems harsh.

I think this is quite close. In the beginning JDS did not even consider any sub. attempts, just get up and try to KO him. As time passed he got hit and hit again still trying to only stand up. Until it quite clearly came to a point where he had difficulty standing and we can assume was far from sharp in his mind.

All those hits, exhaustion and most of all suprise at being on his back and everything going exactly the opposite way he intented, all that combined, his mind was on autopilot, which thoughout his career has been get up and fight. I think level headed and clear minded, after all these years he is damn good on the ground.
He was just completely out of his comfort zone. i was thinking, muscle memory maybe?, that instinctual movements gained through rolling and bjj. I think he doesnt have that (yet) for whatever reason. Probabily he never dedicated his mind/heart that much to it, just to his standup.
Going in a fight with the intention of subbing someone, I think he would be great.

you hear all the excuses he made after the cain fight lol?

Some of the fighters on your list whine way more than Dos Santos does. He didn't make excuses he just said what happened, Dos Santos still said Cain was better on the night.

Mir is right, JDS obviously isnt a legit black belt, but who really thought he was?

Hopefully JDS replies by heavily criticizing Mir's stand-up, and then cites knocking him out.

Back