Frank Mir heavily criticizes JDS' submission game.

haha just seen about 100 people have quoted me to call me a twat about that post haha

*runs*

People here are criticizing the "legitimacy" of JDS's black belt.

There are thousands (if not more) of BJJ black belts who are nobodies in MMA. A BJJ black belt is touted as way more than it should be (in the UFC at least). World champion black belts have had a difficult time grappling and subbing wrestlers who have also trained BJJ. A regular black belt like JDS I wouldn't expect to be very effective against a monster like Cain.

The belt awarding system in BJJ does not have much more to do with MMA grappling (strikes, more aggressive, etc) than it did 20 years ago. I have seen only a few schools change their curriculum to be more applied to MMA. In many of these schools, the MMA fighters (or prospective fighters) who train no-gi BJJ don't even get ranks and are not part of the ranking system.

Also, I believe Dominick Cruz was a blue/purple belt when he fought Urijah the second time and he didn't have much trouble in the scrambles because of his wrestling (he escaped a few bad positions real quickly).

Oh no.. Frank Mir raised some legitimate points about JDS ground game that most of us were probably thinking about while watching the JDS vs Cain 2 fight.. Lets talk about how much of a twat Mir is and how he shouldn't have the right to talk about anyone he hasn't beaten, ever!!

/sarcasm

In all fairness Aldo outgrappled Hominick pretty handily from what I remember, until he was gassed out in the 5th. In the case of JDS, he was on queer street, he wasn't submitting anybody

You remember correctly.

I'm not sure if its been said, but JDS was following his corners instructions to just stand up each time rather than go for subs. Pretty rough to judge a lack of BJJ when JDS was being instructed not to use it.

I think Mir could have mentioned that Cain didn't seem to know how to put in hooks and go for a RNC, seemed like a bit of an issue to me.

Wow that is amazing that you all can tell JDS has no ground game from just one fight. A fight where he was rocked by a world champion who relentlessly attacks and has superb wrestling and basically never slows down because of unusually good cardio for any weight class, much less heavyweight. Oh, and he didn't get finished in 5 rounds from strikes or submissions because of his defensive grappling? (if you have no ground game you will get finished by a world class MMA ground fighter like Cain. Please tell me this is obvious.) So many smart, perceptive people on sherdog. You all should be talent scouts.

The one guy who said one overrated fighter criticizing another? Really? Because I don't think Mir or JDS are overrated. To call a fighter like JDS overrated as soon as he loses... Ughhh.

"Punch a BJJ black belt on the face once, he becomes Brown belt. Put a good combination on him and he becomes white belt"

Krzysztof Soszynski

Ironically, he said that just before losing to BJJ black belt Vinny Magalhaes :)

if JDS is so weak at subs and Mir knows so much, why didnt he sub JDS?
mir is annoying at times

Somebody already said because he couldn't get him down. Takedown defense and submission skill aren't the same thing.

I think Mir is spot on. JDS never was a legit BJJ black belt. Velasquez almost had that armbar, and lost it due to both bodies being so slippery.

Um, no. Not even close.

"Punch a BJJ black belt on the face once, he becomes Brown belt. Put a good combination on him and he becomes white belt"

Krzysztof Soszynski

Ironically, he said that just before losing to BJJ black belt Vinny Magalhaes :)

Vinny is a real BJJ black belt. It has been very earned and tested. JDS not so much.

Back