Frank Mir: Al Iaquinta a much better wrestler/TDD than Conor. Conor only has one predictable weapon

What’s the verdict? I refuse to look through his posts.
He actually had an in-depth post. Couldn’t go through it a work. At first glanced he criticized some collar tie and him digging for an underhook, I think. But I realized we were entering something I needed to pay attention to.

Conor fanboys asserting their superior fight knowledge over whitebelt Mir.

<{outtahere}>

Frank Mir dead wrong again. I already proved to some other moron Al isn't a better wrestler than Conor. Actually now that I think about it was probably Frank's Sherdog account.

Try harder. You suck at this:
giphy.gif
QEwJ.gif

I don't like Mir, but I respect his analysis. He's pretty much saying what any logical person would be saying.
  • Conor will get taken down, or clinched and pressured against the cage.
  • Khabib has much better pressure and grinding ability than anyone else in the division. If Diaz could get Conor gassed by rd 3, it'll be even worse with Khabib.
  • Khabib's cardio will be fine, as he will be in control of where the fight takes place and won't work as hard as Conor.
  • Conor has cardio/punching power for 2 rounds, even in the fights that stay standing. By the 3rd round he's gassed. No chance at winning a decision.
  • Conor on his back will not be able to submit or threaten Khabib. At this point he's only looking to get back up, which isn't likely to happen without expending tons of energy, or if Khabib goes for a submission.
  • Conor is not as well rounded as Iaquinta, and his only real shot at winning is by early KO. It won't look any better than what Khabib did Johnson and Barboza, it will probably be even worse than that.

Conor doesn't have as many tools to win the fight. In fact, he only has one. But Khabib does. All Khabib has to do is weather the storm, avoid the KO punch, and make Conor work at all times.

It's MMA.

There's a chance even the first one won't happen.

Everyone acts like Conor getting taken down is a sure thing.

We EXPECT him to be taken down but what if Conor flashes KO like Aldo?

lulz @ all the fortune tellers on here...

For now I'm just hoping both fighters make it inside the O.

It's MMA.

There's a chance even the first one won't happen.

Everyone acts like Conor getting taken down is a sure thing.

We EXPECT him to be taken down but what if Conor flashes KO like Aldo?

lulz @ all the fortune tellers on here...

For now I'm just hoping both fighters make it inside the O.
I think the fortune tellers are the Conor fans. They tend to be the "magical thinkers" claiming he has touch of death and is a wizard or something. A casual mindset.

Most of the Khabib fans here are seasoned enough to know that Conor has as good as punchers chance as any striker, but also that Khabib is a pretty terrible matchup for him and the favorite for a reason.

He took him down easily is the point.

And he was able to do so only because Conor did something stupid. Anybody could've taken him down there because he put himself in a terrible spot, not Diaz put him there.

You're acting like Conor was completely sprawled and Diaz still drove through and got him down which shows he has bad TDD, instead of the fact that he was stupidly lazily throwing a bad kick and was on one leg.

That sweep didnt mean shit, he started working a kneebar once that happened. The same way Artemij tapped Conor.

If he wanted to maintain a dominant position he could have simply put his weight behind his hips while standing over him. He didnt because he knew there was no threat on the ground.

Jesus Christ, make up your mind. Diaz got swept and so immediately went for a kneebar to make the best of it, yet could've stayed upright if he'd wanted to? All while perceiving that Conor was less of a threat on top of him than if he was on top of Conor?

<36>

Mir on point, it's a fight, everything can happen but 9 times out of 10, maybe even more Khabib wins this easily

The best wrestler at fw took down Conor, Im shocked, which he defended plenty of clean shots, Nate got tagged and dropped before that. Nate fucking diaz, the guy whose only been dropped twice in his career got dropped 4 times in 2 rounds. Like I said its gonna be matter of how well khabib takes a shot and how it will effect his wrestling. If he gets Conor down early then its gonna be a long night for Conor. Jesus I said khabib will probably win and I still get lumped in with the nuthuggers
Which two fights are you referring to? He got dropped by Bendo, Thomson, and Guillard just off the top of my head.

He tkod chad after defending a submission that alpha male is known fir after having a 60% td defense on a short notice fight against the best wrestler at fw......oh wait mendes only had two weeks to train so the 2 decades of wrestling experience he has went out the window.
He basically let conor bridge out going for the guillotine and stood in front of him waiting for the fight to be over.
And he was able to do so only because Conor did something stupid. Anybody could've taken him down there because he put himself in a terrible spot, not Diaz put him there.

You're acting like Conor was completely sprawled and Diaz still drove through and got him down which shows he has bad TDD, instead of the fact that he was stupidly lazily throwing a bad kick and was on one leg.

Jesus Christ, make up your mind. Diaz got swept and so immediately went for a kneebar to make the best of it, yet could've stayed upright if he'd wanted to? All while perceiving that Conor was less of a threat on top of him than if he was on top of Conor?

<36>
Things happen in a fight and people adjust. Not everything is black/white either/or. You conor nuthuggers are truly obsessed putting your boy on a pedestal.

Last edited:
Former HW champ and an actual fighter opinion > over some fat unathletic casual Conor fanboys on Sherdog.

Yes, it's so easy to avoid getting punched by Conor.... lmfao.

Yes, it's so easy to avoid getting punched by Conor.... lmfao.
Conor lands most of his shots against guys who come rushing in at him with sloppy punches trying to engage in his superior striking game. He's a counter puncher, not a magician who regularly significantly damages fighters who are standing out of range, diving at his ankles, clinching up with him, pressuring him against the cage, and going for TD's. The UFC has kept him away from wrestlers for a reason... especially after seeing what Mendes did to him during those 2 rounds before succumbing to fatigue.

I think this goes like the Khabib/Barboza fight. In a way Barboza has better tools to beat a wrestler/grappler because he can time knees against td attempts which are generally more effective against guys attacking low than punches are.

Last edited:
Conor lands most of his shots against guys who come rushing in at him with sloppy punches

Sounds like what Khabib will do.

He's a counter puncher, not a magician who regularly significantly damages fighters who are standing out of range, diving at his ankles, clinching up with him, pressuring him against the cage, and going for TD's.

People bandy about the term counter puncher with Conor but it's misleading about his style. Conor largely doesn't wait for his opponent's to come to him, he walks them down. He's ready to counter punch their panic at his forward pressure, but he's coming either way. People regularly make the mistake of the thinking they just need to intelligently pressure Conor, and instead find themselves on the backfoot when it's Conor intelligently pressuring them instead.

Anywho, here's Conor beating the shit out of Holloway for that exact reason

XaDsetj.gif

Yeah andbif Miguel Torres was still fighting, he’d pick him over tj and cruz

Sounds like what Khabib will do.

People bandy about the term counter puncher with Conor but it's misleading about his style. Conor largely doesn't wait for his opponent's to come to him, he walks them down. He's ready to counter punch their panic at his forward pressure, but he's coming either way. People regularly make the mistake of the thinking they just need to intelligently pressure Conor, and instead find themselves on the backfoot when it's Conor intelligently pressuring them instead.

Anywho, here's Conor beating the shit out of Holloway for that exact reason

XaDsetj.gif

It's a poor gif to choose because half of the strikes landed here are counter shots. Conor often walks his opponents down but it's generally to set traps, get them to exchange, and he does most of his damage with countershots. He is generally much more effective as a counter puncher, but he has shown he can be effective as the aggressor as well. He seems to have taken on that roll less often after the Diaz fight because he's been trying to pick his shots more carefully as not to gas himself out.

Statistically, Khabib's defensive boxing striking fares so well numerically because he is generally standing out of range and is excellent at avoiding exchanges, while being able to implement his wrestling gameplan. Given that Khabib has not been truly hurt a single time in his career, you are vastly underestimating this aspect of his game, couple this with the fact that he has made it clear that he wants nothing to do with striking exchanges in this fight in particular, it's even less likely McGregor will be the one to find success here where others have failed.

Back