Economy For the second Halloween in a row, U.S. candy inflation hits double digits

This is the greatest time in American history for the middle class and the greatest economy that America has EVER had.
What in the actual fuck does a shortage of cocoa in some other country driving up the price of chocolate have to do with an appraisal of the overall health of the US economy, and in what way would you say this issue is caused by US government policy or inaction? Please, do tell, I'm all ears.

Hey, you might think that we measure the strength of the economy by looking at things like wages, employment rates, wealth, household debt ratios, etc., but no. Those things are insignificant. The one true measure of the strength of the economy, which Republicans have been extremely consistent about using over the years, is how expensive candy is (the more expensive it is, the worse the economy is, regardless of all that other stuff).
Indeed, but although we said roughly the same thing, I like my response better (please see above). I made a little wager with myself as to whether he'll respond to those questions. Now we wait lol

Last edited:
Greedflation
Indeed, I think a great many companies are raising prices an extra few percent or more over what they need to (as opposed to just the amount needed to cover their own increased costs) just because they can pretend it's all due to inflation.

Indeed, but although we said roughly the same thing, I like my response better (please see above). I made a little wager with the little man in the back of my mind as to whether he'll respond to those questions. Now we wait lol

I think the reason @Rob Battisti has taken the petulant child route is that he doesn't actually have any way to defend the GOP talking point here because it's purely based on vibes.

Probably just greedy companies increasing the price because they know people will buy candy

We're not in any wars (what country are you posting from?), and we can definitely pay our bills. I agree that Trump was an embarrassment as head of state, though.
You're a known sophist and idealogue. You never answer any questions ever, and you have Bertrand Russell in your profile. Why would anyone continue to respond to you?

You're a known sophist and idealogue. You never answer any questions ever, and you have Bertrand Russell in your profile. Why would anyone continue to respond to you?

Chief, you can't even spell "ideologue," and you don't seem to know what a sophist is or to be at all familiar with my posting. I think you should consider yourself lucky that you get any attention.

Anyway, as I pointed out, America is not at war at all, and our economy is doing extremely well. There is no issue with bill-paying. If you can't defend your idol without resorting to outright lies, you should reconsider the whole enterprise. At least you did admit that his personal conduct was unbecoming.

Chief, you can't even spell "ideologue," and you don't seem to know what a sophist is or to be at all familiar with my posting. I think you should consider yourself lucky that you get any attention.

Anyway, as I pointed out, America is not at war at all, and our economy is doing extremely well. There is no issue with bill-paying. If you can't defend your idol without resorting to outright lies, you should reconsider the whole enterprise. At least you did admit that his personal conduct was unbecoming.
You realize people can read your previous posts right? You are 100% a sophist and a ideologue. Also, I can't stand Trump. Bet that'll broke your binary brain.

You realize people can read your previous posts right? You are 100% a sophist and a ideologue. Also, I can't stand Trump. Bet that'll broke your binary brain.

I do, which is why your comments are stupid. You won't find any examples at all of me being a sophist or an ideologue or not answering questions. You're just making that up so you can have a face-saving exit after you just made a few dumb claims. And, sure, the most pathetic Trump fans here all say that. "I blindly accept every dumb pro-Trump argument, I think he should be above the law, I lie constantly about anyone who dares oppose him, but I can't stand the guy." I think people would think of you as less of a joke if you were just honest.

IMG_0875.jpg

Spooked by the high price of Halloween candy? There’s not much relief in sight.

For the second year in a row, U.S. shoppers are seeing double-digit inflation in the candy aisle. Candy and gum prices are up an average of 13% this month compared to last October, more than double the 6% increase in all grocery prices, according to Datasembly, a retail price tracker. That’s on top of a 14% increase in candy and gum prices in October 2022.

“The price of candy has gotten to be outrageous,” said Jessica Weathers, a small business owner in Shiloh, Illinois. “It doesn’t make sense to me to spend $100 on candy.”

Weathers said she usually buys plenty of candy for trick-or-treaters and events at school and church. But this year, she only bought two bags and plans to turn off her porch light on Halloween when she runs out.
Lego-Halloween-2-MOC.jpg

Grandma: Don grab candy from Biden pokets!

Other consumers are changing what they buy. Numerator, a market research firm, said its surveys show about one-third of U.S. consumers plan to trade down to value or store brands when buying candy for trick-or-treaters this year.

Weather is the main culprit for the higher prices. Cocoa prices are trading at 44-year highs after heavy rains in West Africa caused limited production in the season that began last fall. Now, El Nino conditions are making the region drier and are likely to linger well into the spring.

“There may be no price relief in sight, at least through the first half of 2024,” said Dan Sadler, principal of client insights for Circana, a market research firm.

71qlumf7wev71.jpg

Kelly Goughary, a senior research analyst with Gro Intelligence, an agricultural analytics firm, said Ivory Coast — which produces around 40% of the world’s cocoa — is already showing the signs of one of its worst droughts since 2003.

Meanwhile, global sugar prices are at 12-year highs, Goughary said. India, the world’s second-largest sugar producer after Brazil, recently banned sugar exports for the first time in seven years after monsoon rains hurt the upcoming harvest. Thailand’s output is also down.

EIM9c0YX0AAUhpj.jpg

Those costs, combined with increases for labor, packaging, and ingredients like peanuts, are pushing up prices for all kinds of candy.

Discount grocer Aldi is advertising a 250-piece variety pack of Mars chocolate bars — including Milky Way, Twix and Snickers — for $24.98. Two years ago, the same package was advertised at $19.54.

Hershey — which has raised its prices by 7% or more in each of the last seven quarters —acknowledged this week that higher prices are taking a toll on demand. Hershey’s North American confectionary sales volumes fell 1% in the July-September period.
maxresdefault.jpg

“We know that value and affordability continue to be top-of-the-line for consumers as budgets are stretched,” Hershey’s President and CEO Michele Buck said Thursday on a conference call with investors.

Buck said Hershey is trying to meet consumers’ needs with offerings in value stores and pack sizes at various price points.

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/10/28/for...ow-us-candy-inflation-hits-double-digits.html

Oh my god!!

The junk food for the obese fat american kids !!!!!!
<Ellaria01>

You realize people can read your previous posts right? You are 100% a sophist and an ideologue. Also, I can't stand Trump. Bet that'll broke your binary brain.
Lmao I have him on ignore but when I saw someone say sophist it could only be the one and only

What in the actual fuck does a shortage of cocoa in some other country driving up the price of chocolate have to do with an appraisal of the overall health of the US economy, and in what way would you say this issue is caused by US government policy or inaction? Please, do tell, I'm all ears.
What are you talking about? All I’m saying is that despite everything being more difficult to afford that this is the absolute greatest economy and time to be in the middle class in the history of the country? Do you disagree?

Lmao I have him on ignore but when I saw someone say sophist it could only be the one and only

Good move. If you can't see people questioning GOP narratives, you'll never have to consider the possibility that they're wrong.

What are you talking about? All I’m saying is that despite everything being more difficult to afford that this is the absolute greatest economy and time to be in the middle class in the history of the country? Do you disagree?
What am I talking about? What are you talking about? I asked you a direct question. You posted that ITT as though the current high price of cocoa was some kind of indicator of how the economy is performing. Of what relevance is your comment to the thread topic? Of what relevance is the cost of coca to the health or lack thereof of the US economy?

It's like if I started a thread about having to take antibiotics for an infection and you popped in to say, "But the state of healthcare in this country is really really great, right?"

I mean, seriously. Go back and read my earlier reply to you and try this one again, why don't you?

What am I talking about? What are you talking about? I asked you a direct question. You posted that ITT as though the current high price of cocoa was some kind of indicator of how the economy is performing. Of what relevance is your comment to the thread topic? Of what relevance is the cost of coca to the health or lack thereof of the US economy?

It's like if I started a thread about having to take antibiotics for an infection and you popped in to say, "But the state of healthcare in this country is really really great, right?"

I mean, seriously. Go back and read my earlier reply to you and try this one again, why don't you?
I’m saying that despite candy being expensive, like everything else, that people shouldn’t take it as an indication that the economy is bad. This is a historically amazing economy. In fact, it’s the best ever for Americans — particularly the middle class.

I don't think rob even knows how to form a position on an issue other than just blindly parroting GOP talking points and then insulting people who are more thoughtful.

I’m saying that despite candy being expensive, like everything else, that people shouldn’t take it as an indication that the economy is bad. This is a historically amazing economy. In fact, it’s the best ever for Americans — particularly the middle class.
In other words, you're in this thread to post irrelevant nonsense and waste other people's time. That's worse than useless.

I don't think rob even knows how to form a position on an issue other than just blindly parroting GOP talking points and then insulting people who are more thoughtful.

Is that why he kicked your ass in your bet on the economy? Because he's a blind partisan, and you're more "thoughtful"? LOL.

In other words, you're in this thread to post irrelevant nonsense and waste other people's time. That's worse than useless.
It’s irrelevant to get people to not fret about the ever rising costs of everything? This is a scaremongering thread and I was trying to get people to see they literally have it better as a society than any period in American history. Unless you think that’s not on topic or you think this isn’t the golden age of American prosperity?

Back