Opinion For the lefties out there, what issue would you sacrifice?

Guns, abortion (find a fucking compromise), immigration, identity politics.

Stop the illegals streaming in across the border, then give us Medicare for all.

I said kids. Once your ass is 18 you do you. But having forms that kids fill out with a gender option other than boy or girl was brought on by the left. They dont deserve the option when young.
What forms are you talking about? At any rate, it's a fringe issue. It's not a core policy issue that should inform where you lie on the political spectrum and who you vote for. The vast, vast majority of kids are going to be just fine and will identify with the sex that they were born as. Transgenders are a VERY small segment of the population. They're a minority within a minority. Even the vast majority of LGBT are not T.

Guns, abortion (find a fucking compromise), immigration, identity politics.

Stop the illegals streaming in across the border, then give us Medicare for all.
I support border security, but you have to pass M4A on its own merits regardless of the immigration situation. Even with "illegals" coming in and getting "free" healthcare, it's still a far superior system that will cover everybody and save us money. Because you're NEVER going to stop people coming across the border. They'll ALWAYS find a way. So fix the systemic domestic issues first and foremost.

LGBTQ and BLM

Don't get me wrong, I support same sex civil union and equal rights for all. I always hated how these movements fueled further identity politics and oppression Olympics in society. This is one thing I agree with the right wing.

I think we should focus on getting universal healthcare, a fair taxation system where the rich can't evade and promote STEM and skilled based education.

I support border security, but you have to pass M4A on its own merits regardless of the immigration situation. Even with "illegals" coming in and getting "free" healthcare, it's still a far superior system that will cover everybody and save us money. Because you're NEVER going to stop people coming across the border. They'll ALWAYS find a way. So fix the systemic domestic issues first and foremost.

Yea, I just meant if theoretically that compromise would get it implemented, I would be for it.

Illegals will always get across the border, but the government hasn't always been tough on them.

Lefties will gladly give up the fight on gun control because most of us don't believe in it lmao. Liberal Democrats do, but not many people further to the left do.

LGBTQ and BLM

Don't get me wrong, I support same sex civil union and equal rights for all. I always hated how these movements fueled further identity politics and oppression Olympics in society. This is one thing I agree with the right wing.

I think we should focus on getting universal healthcare, a fair taxation system where the rich can't evade and promote STEM and skilled based education.
It’s pretty clear now that black folks are the reason Trump lost this election (Philly, Atlanta, Detroit, and Milwaukee all made the difference). Throwing BLM under the bus would be the single dumbest thing you could do politically if you want healthcare to be expanded. The fact that people are still taking black votes for granted is mind boggling. Without BLM Trump is still President, you can bank on that.

100% agree with you on gun control being the issue I would drop.

I really think it’s a big reason why rural America hates democrats so much.

Gun control seems like the obvious answer. It's not even an issue that needs to be abandoned or conceded on, it just needs rebranding to "illegal firearms" and result in a crackdown on inner city gangs, further policing of the southern border to prevent the arms trade happening there and restrictions put on children + guns to address school shootings.

I'd also put a big focus on letting legit gun owners know they're being left alone. Joe Biden would be taught to shoot and would be doing promo videos about how he loves old cowboy films and how he remembers when Colt released the Peacemaker when he was a young boy.

Last edited:
With how divided our country is, it's pretty clear that the left won't get everything we want, practically speaking if you have to abandon any single issue to peel off more voters to gain the edge, what would you sacrifice?

Personally, I think we need to ditch gun control as an issue. The juice isn't worth the squeeze. Focus on healthcare and financially shoring up the poor/middle class, and reforming the justice system and policing. The 2nd amendment is there to stay, all we're doing with anti-gun rants is pissing a lot of people off, there is no viable path to materially change this.

hello moosaev,

in addition to abandoning guns, i'd abandon protecting a women's right to choose. i'm fine with seeing the fights play out on state level - its not one that i think will go well for the GOP anyway.

in exchange, though, i'd like the GOP to give up the charade of fiscal conservatism.

- IGIT

I do have to question the lefty credentials of all those saying guns. There is so much room for improvement on American gun control its hard to imagine it goes untouched.

For example a registry, the only real opposition is the thin edge idea of it leading to confiscation.

But I suppose its a tough question as the election was soon extremely light on policy.

Yea, I just meant if theoretically that compromise would get it implemented, I would be for it.

Illegals will always get across the border, but the government hasn't always been tough on them.

Need to address the pull factor. While huge numbers of illegals can find better paid work in America they will find ways.

hello moosaev,

in addition to abandoning guns, i'd abandon protecting a women's right to choose. i'm fine with seeing the fights play out on state level - its not one that i think will go well for the GOP anyway.

in exchange, though, i'd like the GOP to give up the charade of fiscal conservatism.

- IGIT
Giving up women’s right to choose is not tenable. It would crater support for the Dem party from younger women which is one of their key constituents. It would be a politically stupid thing to do.

Also, charade of fiscal conservatism isn’t an issue. Which specific issue do you think the GOP should drop that a) they’re not going to win on and b) they will gain votes

Without BLM Trump is still President, you can bank on that.

hi there moosaev,

i believe the Black Lives Matter movement is a just one; i can get behind a movement that's opposed to racially motivated police brutality.

but i think BLM hurt the Democrats more than it helped them.

- IGIT

hi there moosaev,

i believe the Black Lives Matter movement is a just one; i can get behind a movement that's opposed to racially motivated police brutality.

but i think BLM hurt the Democrats more than it helped them.

- IGIT
Highly disagree, without BLM organizers driving voter registration in Milwaukee, Detroit, Atlanta, Philly, etc. Donald Trump would’ve won. BLM absolutely helped Dems, not hurt. And it’s not even close to be honest.

hi mooseaev,

Giving up women’s right to choose is not tenable. It would crater support for the Dem party from younger women which is one of their key constituents. It would be a politically stupid thing to do.

i'm responding to the OP, and i'm operating under the assumption that to get something significant you have to give up something significant.

also, young women (and young people in general) don't really vote that often. they are a historically unreliable demographic to pin ones hopes on.

Also, charade of fiscal conservatism isn’t an issue. Which specific issue do you think the GOP should drop that a) they’re not going to win on and b) they will gain votes

if you think the GOP's charade of fiscal conservatism isn't an issue, we're going to have to agree to disagree.

- IGIT

Highly disagree, without BLM organizers driving voter registration in Milwaukee, Detroit, Atlanta, Philly, etc. Donald Trump would’ve won. BLM absolutely helped Dems, not hurt. And it’s not even close to be honest.

hi moosaev,

i don't think BLM absolutely helped the "Dems", as you put it - i do think horror of black people and riots and fire and THE ANTIFAS did much to motivate the right this electoral season.

- IGIT

Can't sacrifice something that is mostly a figment of the right's imagination.

You might be right. Antifa usually sticks to destroying Democrat cities so right wingers probably wouldn't run into them. It's like watching Frankenstein getting destroyed by his own creation.

Back