Opinion For the lefties out there, what issue would you sacrifice?

For me, the big issue with the wall is that it was portrayed as "set and forget" when it's literally never that way. I never heard one peep about maintenance, and securing nearly 2000 miles of border with a 50 foot wall is just begging for 100 years of dumping money into maintaining a money pit.

I've never been opposed to increased staffing or technical enhancements because that's smart. It's building a big dumbass wall that I had a problem with. Hell, the wall we have now is in horrid state, and we wanted to slap up more. The juice just isn't worth the squeeze, know what I mean?
yeah there's a financial argument against it like you said. the Chinese made building a wall look too easy! :)

Women's suffrage

I had another answer but I don't need the banstick. My real answer is guns and abortion.

Gun control, identity politics, and crying racism when someone doesn't agree with your point of view.

Abandon gun control, agree that it is a mental health issue and find some form of compromise where we can limit psychopaths going on murder sprees. This is a losing battle and there are many gun owners on the left (such as myself) who are sick and tired of morons who think AR means assault rifle giving opinions, or thinking that if somehow we ban AR-15's people won't just move to a different platform like the mini-14.

Repudiate the vast majority of woke/sjw/cancel culture ideologies. It is like a stink bomb to moderates and the extreme left will never be happy with anything less than total compliance and agreement.

Guns.

I think the left is extremely naive on gun issues. We absolutely have a problem with gun violence in our country but I think it's bigger than guns. Canada has a ton of guns but they aren't killing people anywhere near the rate we are. Yes, banning "assault" rifles and high capacity clips will help reduce the number of lives lost in mass shootings but I would rather get to the problem of why someone would be involved in a mass shooting instead of going after the tool they used. It just seems like a bandaid approach and an appeal to emotion rather than fixing the issue.

To me, the genie is out of the bottle with guns. You can't undo the technology. You can ban them but they are still out there and people will always get them. A quick look to UK tells you what happens when people don't have access to guns but still want to kill each other. They use knifes, swords, cars, bombs, etc.

The guns restrictions currently in place I feel are good enough. There's only so much you can do before it gets heavy handed. It's like murder or drunk driving. It's illegal to murder someone or drive drunk. You go to jail for either yet people still murder and drive drunk. There's not much else you can do at that point other than to educate and discourage people. You don't ban cars because that's what they use to drive drunk.

Most of the gun violence is coming from poverty, gangs and domestic issues. Focus on those issues if you want to stop the mass majority of gun violence. You are never going to solve it all though and I think that's where the left is extremely naive.

I'm Canadian and getting a gun here is much more difficult than in the states. Even gang members really only use Knives/Manchettes and Batons. Most people with guns here are those that hunt and are fairly responsible unlike America where any retard could pick one up.

Agreed man, its really not worth the effort. And there are probably tons of gun owners out there that really have no opposition to healthcare expansion, student debt relief etc, they just wanna shoot their guns and live their lives. But they're single issue voters right now.

often this.

Abandon gun control, agree that it is a mental health issue and find some form of compromise where we can limit psychopaths going on murder sprees. This is a losing battle and there are many gun owners on the left (such as myself) who are sick and tired of morons who think AR means assault rifle giving opinions, or thinking that if somehow we ban AR-15's people won't just move to a different platform like the mini-14.

Repudiate the vast majority of woke/sjw/cancel culture ideologies. It is like a stink bomb to moderates and the extreme left will never be happy with anything less than total compliance and agreement.

<JackieThumbsUp>

I have never owned a gun and never felt compelled to own one.

Therefore the easiest by far and large is: guns.

A lot more complicated, but to some extent abortion. I'm left-leaning, but also pro-life. It's extremely low on my list of priorities and barely affects my position on things.

A lot more complicated, but to some extent abortion. I'm left-leaning, but also pro-life. It's extremely low on my list of priorities and barely affects my position on things.
n

Abandoning the abortion issue would absolutely tank the Dem support among liberal women. It would be political suicide.

Guns.

I think the left is extremely naive on gun issues. We absolutely have a problem with gun violence in our country but I think it's bigger than guns. Canada has a ton of guns but they aren't killing people anywhere near the rate we are. Yes, banning "assault" rifles and high capacity clips will help reduce the number of lives lost in mass shootings but I would rather get to the problem of why someone would be involved in a mass shooting instead of going after the tool they used. It just seems like a bandaid approach and an appeal to emotion rather than fixing the issue.

To me, the genie is out of the bottle with guns. You can't undo the technology. You can ban them but they are still out there and people will always get them. A quick look to UK tells you what happens when people don't have access to guns but still want to kill each other. They use knifes, swords, cars, bombs, etc.

The guns restrictions currently in place I feel are good enough. There's only so much you can do before it gets heavy handed. It's like murder or drunk driving. It's illegal to murder someone or drive drunk. You go to jail for either yet people still murder and drive drunk. There's not much else you can do at that point other than to educate and discourage people. You don't ban cars because that's what they use to drive drunk.

Most of the gun violence is coming from poverty, gangs and domestic issues. Focus on those issues if you want to stop the mass majority of gun violence. You are never going to solve it all though and I think that's where the left is extremely naive.
F*cking five star post.

You just said everything i wanted to say, but better.
<RomeroSalute>
@moosaev i agree with your stance

Why the fuck are kids given an option to call their own identity. Men need to be taught they are men very early. Not this beta form of a male we have today.

I dont agree with letting Pedo’s off the hook, they deserve a firing squad or a public beheading.

And like the first page, please, please, stay the fuck away from my legal guns.

We cant live in a perfect utopia where no one gets left behind and equal everything for all. Just doesnt work that way. In a village, everyone needs to provide in one way or another. The world is no different.

Why the fuck are kids given an option to call their own identity. Men need to be taught they are men very early. Not this beta form of a male we have today.

I dont agree with letting Pedo’s off the hook, they deserve a firing squad or a public beheading.

And like the first page, please, please, stay the fuck away from my legal guns.

We cant live in a perfect utopia where no one gets left behind and equal everything for all. Just doesnt work that way. In a village, everyone needs to provide in one way or another. The world is no different.
I have to disagree and say that Republicans and conservatives are gonna have to let go of this obsession with gender pronouns, gay marriage etc, who gives a fuck about that shit. Just live your own lives and stop losing your shit over what people wanna call themselves. Everyone has to give a little and conservatives spend so much energy on absolutely retarded shit.

I have to disagree and say that Republicans and conservatives are gonna have to let go of this obsession with gender pronouns, gay marriage etc, who gives a fuck about that shit. Just live your own lives and stop losing your shit over what people wanna call themselves. Everyone has to give a little and conservatives spend so much energy on absolutely retarded shit.

I said kids. Once your ass is 18 you do you. But having forms that kids fill out with a gender option other than boy or girl was brought on by the left. They dont deserve the option when young.

Guns and the regulations on free speech the fringe is pushing

Like others said the gun thing is a total lost cause right now. Focus on more popular issues like UHC and harm reduction.

I said kids. Once your ass is 18 you do you. But having forms that kids fill out with a gender option other than boy or girl was brought on by the left. They dont deserve the option when young.
I agree with this but this is not a topic that is widely supported by Dems. Don’t confuse extreme left with core Dems and left of center folks. Sounds like you’re just believing the caricature the right wing media has been painting about lefties. This is an extremely fringe issue, stuff like gun control, abortion, etc aren’t fringe issues.

I agree with this but this is not a topic that is widely supported by Dems. Don’t confuse extreme left with core Dems and left of center folks. Sounds like you’re just believing the caricature the right wing media has been painting about lefties. This is an extremely fringe issue, stuff like gun control, abortion, etc aren’t fringe issues.

I believe in some made up picture? I live in California, have a son, and have seen these gender forms in place already letting kids select either one or a third option for “other”.

Its people like you who brush these things off, or let them fall into place unobstructed because its not a major issue to them is whats fucked. Or Dems trying to pass props to lessen charges on sexual offenders, like the current one I voted NO against.

With how divided our country is, it's pretty clear that the left won't get everything we want, practically speaking if you have to abandon any single issue to peel off more voters to gain the edge, what would you sacrifice?

Personally, I think we need to ditch gun control as an issue. The juice isn't worth the squeeze. Focus on healthcare and financially shoring up the poor/middle class, and reforming the justice system and policing. The 2nd amendment is there to stay, all we're doing with anti-gun rants is pissing a lot of people off, there is no viable path to materially change this.
Yeah. If anything, as leftists we should be arming ourselves and preparing to even up the firepower and tactical advantage that the right has...

I believe in some made up picture? I live in California, have a son, and have seen these gender forms in place already letting kids select either one or a third option for “other”.

Its people like you who brush these things off, or let them fall into place unobstructed because its not a major issue to them is whats fucked. Or Dems trying to pass props to lessen charges on sexual offenders, like the current one I voted NO against.
Again, the California Democratic Party is far from representative of mainstream left of center voters across the country. The issue you’re pointing out isn’t a national issue. Guns, abortion, etc are national issues.

Back