For real, how well do you get on with your folks?

I get a long with them ok, but I'm not going to lie, being 3000 miles away from them helps. I'd go nuts if I had to spend every weekend hanging out with them.

sub par, never really got that much help. But still greatful i was fed and had a roof over my head until i was 18

My mother especially.
This is gonna sound a little fucked up - maybe a little Freudian - but my mother speaks to me with a kind of sexual tone in her voice, and often conducts herself in a way toward me that I feel entirely unsuitable given she's my mother.
This acts a massive repellant and really makes me want to completely exclude her from my life however I can.
I mean, when that begins, immediately I look for an excuse to put the phone down.

lol, troll paragraph in the middle of a "serious post." Hilarious though.

There you have it.

Like trying to get blood from a stone making conversation.

Even worse, when we're talking about something, it's like there's always this underlying resentment.

Maybe my mother does that weird sexual disposition shit just to antagonize me.

Yeah, I am not a huge fan of small talk but my parents are religous social conservatives while I am an atheist and socially liberal so really it's the only viable option short of a bunch of fruitless arguing.

bro its called puberty not maturity.

llool @ ur mom tryna fuck u.

I get along with my parents great. I wish I lived closer. I talk to my mom multiple times a day and my pops a few times a week. Skype a few times a week with them too. My parents are awesome. I am in my mid-late 20's and have a couple kids. Maybe it is weird that I talk to my mom so much. My wife has said it is kind of weird.

Get along great . Always had a great relationship with my mom. My dad and I had a bit of a falling out for a couple months 5 years ago but since then we get along better than ever. It ended up opening the gates on both sides for completely open conversation.

My bro and I get on great too.

I tend to be the mediator of my family. Everyone gets along with me better than everyone else so if there is a problem or dispute with fam members (which is very common) I have to hear both sides of it and reason with both sides so that they reconcile. Every month is something new

I started to have trouble at home around 13/14 years old, and when I was 17 I had had enough and took off to live on my own. There was always some distance from my folks until I was about 25 and my brother died. It was(is) a tough experience for my parents and I knew I had to be there for them. But all these years later, I still think I was right and they were wrong about all the shit we fought over when I was 15-17. Some people are just ready to be their own person sooner than 18.

Yeah, I am not a huge fan of small talk but my parents are religous social conservatives while I am an atheist and socially liberal so really it's the only viable option short of a bunch of fruitless arguing.

Well, good to know I'm not the only one.

And that this is not totally out of the ordinary.

It kind of sucks in one way though, right?

The people that raised me and provided for me and looked out for me and now, really I'm in a position where I don't want to much to do with them and we seem to constantly antagonize and irritate each other.

I don't want to burn every bridge with them but, the fact is, certainly as far as my overbearing mother is concerned, the less I have to do with them, the better.

I get along with my parents great. I wish I lived closer. I talk to my mom multiple times a day and my pops a few times a week. Skype a few times a week with them too. My parents are awesome. I am in my mid-late 20's and have a couple kids. Maybe it is weird that I talk to my mom so much. My wife has said it is kind of weird.

Its cool man. I talk to my mom 2-3 times a week. Multiple times a day seems a bit excessive but whatever. The amount of joy our moms get for talking to us for a few minutes is ridiculous. I mean I know its the best part of my moms day when I call her and it takes no effort from me

Good. All good relations. They are educated, rational and good natured.

Haven't seen my biological father in 35 yrs. Neither of us wants to bother. LOL - we're identical that way.

My mother especially.
This is gonna sound a little fucked up - maybe a little Freudian - but my mother speaks to me with a kind of sexual tone in her voice, and often conducts herself in a way toward me that I feel entirely unsuitable given she's my mother.
This acts a massive repellant and really makes me want to completely exclude her from my life however I can.
I mean, when that begins, immediately I look for an excuse to put the phone down.

TS is Ryan Gosling's character from Only God Forgives.

Civil, but not close by any means. My dad was never a big participant in my life even though he lived in the house. So we are kind of acquaintances and might make small talk when I come around. Its the same with my sister and because I am not close to the majority of my family over the years I have lumped my mom in there too so we are not really close these days. She calls every couple of weeks but the conversations are shallow and I am usually working to get off the phone. She really wants to be close, but my bitterness from being ignored so much in the house carried over to me distancing myself from her too.

Mother, most of the time, yes.

Dad, most of the time, no.

I love them both
But got sent to boarding school, young
Always = fun dynamics

My mom gets on my tits, but that's cos she's trying to develop a relationship with me
She's started telling me how to do things, like even run my kitchen!
It'll be interesting when/if I get kids, how she plays out
She wasn't a fan of me doing combat sports - too brutal

Funny cos Dad and I get on well, but I don't see him often
I have a natural rapport with him better than my sisters and brother
Still don't see him much at all

Tomorrows my bd so will see how well I get on, based on calls etc

My brother doesn't believe in family, he's into Nietzsche and nihilism
I'm the opposite
They can be damn annoying though
You don't choose them, but they make decisions and judgements on your life
Often on things they caused by their own decisions

Great relationship with my parents. They have sacrificed so much for my siblings and I, and I truly owe everything I have to them.

With that being said, they (particularly my mom) coddle me. It's both good and bad, but I am pretty sure they have crippled me from being a functional and independent adult. I never really learned to cook, do laundry etc by myself. I am basically a man child when it comes to performing the basic necessities of life.

Don't get along with my dad. Love my mom an abnormal amount. As for the siblings, meh...so and so. I assume it will all improve when I move out.

Back