For real, how well do you get on with your folks?

My dad managed to have our house taken away due to some messed up attempts to start a business with the wrong people, then he left my mom on her own with two kids after cheating on her for almost a year. He then knocked up that braindead **** of his twice, and now he's pretending this all never happened and tries to be civil. I keep my thoughts to myself but I don't really care for him after all this, plus he was a dick to me and my sis throughout our childhood.

My mom is a hero, but the price of keeping a roof over our heads and food on the table after my dad bounced was that she worked so much we hardly know each other anymore, she kind of missed out on us growing up. Kind of sad, but I still love her even though she gets on my nerves sometimes and I'm trying to at least call her every few days.

I see them about once a month maybe, we get on fine.

My dad managed to have our house taken away due to some messed up attempts to start a business with the wrong people, then he left my mom on her own with two kids after cheating on her for almost a year.

Similar deal. My dad went in business with a shyster. When shyster decided he wanted half of what their company was worth my dad was stuck between a rock and a hard place. He paid but in the process he was in debt. Once in debt he started doing shady shit and was eventually charged with embezzeling. He was taking money his clients gave him to pay off his debts rather than provide the service they paid for.

When he avoided jail time he left my mom because he didn't need her any more.

I pretty much hate my dad and my mom is alright.. I pretty much don't have a relationship with either of them

This is gonna sound a little fucked up - maybe a little Freudian - but my mother speaks to me with a kind of sexual tone in her voice, and often conducts herself in a way toward me that I feel entirely unsuitable given she's my mother.

Yolo.

Nah, she's not flirting with me.

Just uses a tone of voice and behavioral that is highly inappropriate.

It kind of serves as a reflection to me that she regards me in a way that is not correct for a mother to regard her son in.

By example, if this were a regular girl that was not a blood relative that was speaking to me in this way, and I were interested in her sexually, this behavior would be very much giving me the "go ahead".

So it's kinda fuckin' messed up to say the least.

Now, for me, I regard myself as a bit of playboy with women.
Don't hate on me here, but chicks dig me.
I guess they dig my mojo.

It's like my mother wants in on a piece of the action and excitement that regular girls get around me.

Again, don't hate on me.
I'm not blowing smoke up my own ass or anything.

Maybe I'm wrong, but just calling it like I see it.

And how I see it is, she should maintain a dignified demeanor relative to me, AT ALL FUCKING TIMES.

*unzip*

Please, give specific examples of your mother's behavior.

Typical teenage drama years aside, I've had a great relationship with my parents. Especially nowadays.

Just checked my CP and this thread was in it, Tremendous was the last poster.

So obviously it read

For real, how well do you get on with your folks? Tremendous.

TS, it sounds like you have good, supportive parents (outside the Oedipus thing) but that you were the problem and decided to be a rebellious jerk.

As for me in a nutshell, my parents were only about rules and work. They were big and strict on discipline and there was no resting. If I wasn't wiring up houses and offices with my dad or cleaning offices for my mom's janitorial business, I was cleaning the house and/or the yard. There was no support or affection in my household. I didnt play sports or do any fun adolescent type stuff. I feel like I went from childhood directly into adulthood around the age of 12. I still see them quite a bit, but it's almost out of necesity than out of want.

I think learning skills and how to work is good for teenagers, but there has to be a balance.

You'll regret not working through some of that with a counselor so you can have a relationship with them.
I was 22-23 when I got along well with my mother and stepfather. I'm glad I figured my shit out enough to have a relationship with them.

My mother passed away when I was 26, just as I was coming out of my angry "why me" years. I really regret that her last memories of me were me feeling sorry for myself and hating everyone around me. Its been 11 years and I still feel just as shitty about it as I always did. She was a strong woman.

My father was a bad drunk when I was a kid. I have no good memories of my father at all. I learned a lot about what not to do as a parent from my father and in a way, I guess thats a good thing. I think I'm a decent father to my daughter.

My father did get some help but not until death stared him in the face. He regrets who he was and tries to be a better man today but its tough sometimes sitting in the same room. I never bring it up because he truly does try to be a good person and I guess he is but I never feel like he's my father. I've never called him "dad" that I can recall.Not even when I was small.

One thing I took from all that is that I never depend on anyone for anything. Its better for me personally to be the one people depend on.

Last edited:
I live about 100 yards from my parents and I've always got along with them, I talk to them 2-3 times a day. I grew up about 150 yards from my grandparents so I've always had a real close bond with my family.

I have no contact with my mother, nor do I have any desire. Former meth-head, now moved her addiction to pills. The only reason she got off meth was because she had her other children, my half-siblings taken away. Always plays the victim card, nothing bad that's happened in her life was ever her fault type mentality. Jobless and leaches off the system. Constantly complains about her life, yet makes no effort to change any of it. Complete and absolute compulsive liar. I stopped talking to her about 3 years ago when she used my name and information on her utilities in a completely different state and I had a credit check done for a purchase and it said I was 6 months past due on multiple accounts. Yeah, my mother stole her son's identity. A real winner. Oh and she wrote bad checks in her deceased mothers name no more than 2 days after her mothers death.

My father on the other hand is my best friend and hero. I have the absolute best relationship with him.

Maybe the way you interpret your mothers voice is not the way she means it.

My mom is a very conniving and manipulative woman. She is a very good friend, just have to know the signs. She has always put my brother and I first. I learned how to be a man through the eyes of a woman, I wouldn't have it any other way, conniving or not.

I've followed my father's life path almost to the T, however we don't talk much. They got divorced when I was very young(1-2) and I didn't see him for a long time. When I did see him it was usually just to bash my mom. When I got older he told me she cheated on him. I responded "well at least she was there", and we never spoke about my mom again, and in very limited spurts from then on. I hear from him on my birthday and christmas.

The step-father I had for 17 years just cheated on my mother with one of our customers. Very nasty divorce that will be going on for the next few years presumably. So, even now I don't talk to my family too much because it's to depressing. My life is going great actually, so I don't want to be "brought down" and I also don't want to seem like I'm bragging about it or anything. And the dominant male figure throughout my childhood turned out to be a piece of shit, so there's that.

All in all it's okay. Get along with my mom, and I could get along with my dad if I wanted to build the bridge.

This is gonna sound REALLY fucked up - maybe a little Freudian - but my mother speaks to me with a kind of sexual tone in her voice, and often conducts herself in a way toward me that I feel entirely unsuitable given she's my mother.

Fixed.

Back