Florida 3 day "cool off" period on handgun purchases

My biggest issue with a waiting period on handguns is that MOST people that buy handguns legally at a store is either for defensive purposes or for competition shooting... Making someone wait 30 days for a firearm when they want it for a defensive purpose seems, well, absurd.

What's even dumber about this cool-off period is it doesn't account for current ownership or private sales. If I've already got handguns then why the wait? People who tout "common sense gun laws" are usually illinformed and unwilling to apply logic or view the right to self-defense with the strict scrutiny they would other rights.
"BUT WE NEED EXPANSIVE COMPREHENSIVE BACKGROUND CHECKS!"

You mean, the ATF going through my entire history isn't enough? What else do you need... my damn tax forms and medical history. Good luck getting the ACLU to go quietly into the night for the gov't to have unfettered access to medical histories.

That's pretty stupid. She is having her rights (to keep and bear) infringed on for days, as a matter of course, with no evidence to suggest she's done anything outside the bounds of the law. Just because there's a time limit on the infringement doesn't negate the fact that it is. That's three less days out of a person's life that they are able to exercise their rights.

2martinlutherkingro7.jpg

I guess she could always buy a black powder gun {<diva}

That is super practical for self defense outside the home(its not that good inside the home either)

And some woman who doesn't already own a handgun is going to learn to shoot it accurately immediately?

I would say a shotgun would be the best choice in the scenario presented.

I think it's like 10 days in california

I guess she could always buy a black powder gun {<diva}

And as the know-it-all's claim, if it takes more than one shot you suck at your weapon. :rolleyes:

And some woman who doesn't already own a handgun is going to learn to shoot it accurately immediately?

What was the scenario? That she never left the house?

Haven't thought this through I see, but I will bite

Going to carry a shotty around, if that was even legal or feasible everywhere

You still have to aim a shotgun and perform its manual of arms

You then have greatly reduced effective killing range of a shotgun at a much greater recoil, greatly reduced ammo capacity, horrible followups, not as maneuverable, not as weapon light friendly, and greater failure rate with a harder means to clear the stoppage.

pretty sure a conceal permit lets you take it right away

Problem with the shotgun is several imo:
1.) the "scatter" would make people feel it's a good home defense option but what happens if you are shooting down a hallway? Shotguns will rip through trees and shit, it's a big reason the Model 12 saw so much action in Vietnam is because the buckshot won't bounce of trees and ricochet the way rifles will. You shoot a 12 gauge down a hallway who knows what it hits in rooms along the hallway on the way so to speak

2.) Continuing with the hallway example... maneuvering say a 28" 12 gauge you use for ducks in a hallway will be a bitch

3.) Recoil... this video says it all:

I'm starting to think, if money isn't an issue, the greatest home defense option is a .300 Blackout AR that is an SBR with suppressor loaded up with subsonic frangible rounds.

Haven't thought this through I see, but I will bite

Going to carry a shotty around, if that was even legal or feasible everywhere

You still have to aim a shotgun and perform its manual of arms

You then have greatly reduced effective killing range of a shotgun at a much greater recoil, greatly reduced ammo capacity, horrible followups, not as maneuverable, not as weapon light friendly, and greater failure rate with a harder means to clear the stoppage.

I guess it just depends on the situation.

If it were a complete novice with no firearms experience who simply wanted to defend themselves inside their home, I would say a shotgun would be the best option. Just my opinion though, and I agree that there are problems with both options.

AR family is the best defense or offense weapon for a single person when there are no restrictions upon freedom

If it were a complete novice with no firearms experience who simply wanted to defend themselves inside their home, I would say a shotgun would be the best option. Just my opinion though, and I agree that there are problems with both options.
A 10/22 or a AR shooting subsonic rounds would be better. The recoil of a 12 gauge (the most standard gauge for home defense or bird hunting) vs the recoil of an AR shooting even .223 is huge when comparing the 2.

9mm recoil, the most standard home defense cartridge for hand guns is super manageable that even 7 year olds with proper training can shoot it without trouble.

Problem with the shotgun is several imo:
1.) the "scatter" would make people feel it's a good home defense option but what happens if you are shooting down a hallway? Shotguns will rip through trees and shit, it's a big reason the Model 12 saw so much action in Vietnam is because the buckshot won't bounce of trees and ricochet the way rifles will. You shoot a 12 gauge down a hallway who knows what it hits in rooms along the hallway on the way so to speak

2.) Continuing with the hallway example... maneuvering say a 28" 12 gauge you use for ducks in a hallway will be a bitch

3.) Recoil... this video says it all:

I'm starting to think, if money isn't an issue, the greatest home defense option is a .300 Blackout AR that is an SBR with suppressor loaded up with subsonic frangible rounds.

Ya, there are problems with a shotgun - also with handguns.

The spread can be limited by what type of ammo you are using - same with recoil - just like with a handgun, depends on what you are using.

I would agree that an AR would probably be a better choice than both though.

And I am telling you that you are wrong, a pistol is a much better option

Shotguns have this stupid aura like the shitty M14

I think so!

2 mags on a coupler, 1 of subs and 1 of supersonic. Noveske 8.2" and an AAC .30 suppressor.

But I always grab my 1911 out of habit.

Also, TS - you said you could walk out with a sawed off shotgun? Ehhhhhhh....no.

I think so!

2 mags on a coupler, 1 of subs and 1 of supersonic. Noveske 8.2" and an AAC .30 suppressor.

Really need to start saving up to get my tax stamp for a suppressor. I want to SBR but I TECHNICALLY could just make a pistol variant in .300... I just wouldn't be legally allowed to shoulder it like a rifle.

This is my home defense pistol (got an InForce light on mine)
wm_7655614.jpg

Mine also has a threaded barrel and suppressor sights. 14 rounds of .45 ACP to lay down range.

Ya, there are problems with a shotgun - also with handguns.

The spread can be limited by what type of ammo you are using - same with recoil - just like with a handgun, depends on what you are using.

I would agree that an AR would probably be a better choice than both though.
Admittedly best defensive option is probably buckshot and there are ways to mitigate recoil but I'd still argue that either a 9mm pistol or a AR would be best.

I think so!

Hypothetically I really want to use my M1 so it gets multiple generations, but it isn't that practical

And I am telling you that you are wrong, a pistol is a much better option

Shotguns have this stupid aura like the shitty M14

You are welcome to your opinion. But making a declaration that I'm simply wrong doesn't make it so.

If we both took two women, who had no experience whatsoever with firearms, given the chaos of a home invasion situation, I would say it would be very difficult for a complete novice to stand her ground, aim properly, and hit her target. She might have problems with a shotgun as well, but if we were to give percentages as to whom would have more chance to disable their assailant, I would put my money on the shotgun.

You are welcome to your opinion. But making a declaration that I'm simply wrong doesn't make it so.

If we both took two women, who had no experience whatsoever with firearms, given the chaos of a home invasion situation, I would say it would be very difficult for a complete novice to stand her ground, aim properly, and hit her target. She might have problems with a shotgun as well, but if we were to give percentages as to whom would have more chance to disable their assailant, I would put my money on the shotgun.

You think that because for some reason you believe the myth you do not have to aim a shotgun

Back