Florida 3 day "cool off" period on handgun purchases

lilelvis

Church of the Inner Tube
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I went Christmas shopping for my daughters Saturday morning. I Purchased a Springfield Armory competition 1911-A1 with all of the B's & W's for my youngest and a Mossberg 930 guard dog home defense shotgun for the oldest one. (she is recently married, nice addition to the household).
After I passed the background check and paid I was informed that I would have to return to the store on Thursday to pick up the 1911.
Waiting for the pistol is no biggie under the circumstances, but considering that I was allowed to leave with an 18 1/2", extended capacity, assault shotgun with rails and a laser sight, plus 10 boxes of ammo, struck me as a bit strange. If I had a bone to pick with someone I would consider myself MORE equipped for violence than i'd be with the 1911.
I consider this as (1) an example of really stupid and ineffective gun legislation, (2) an "infringement" of a constitutional right that says in its very text "shall not be infringed" (3) something that makes me wonder just how stupid politicians can actually be.
I could have walked out with a bull-pupped AR, Aug, AK or my pick of sawed off shotgun (which I did). I should have been able to walk out with the 1911 too. I'm definitely triggered and feel sick and alone.

Please WR, rub some ointment on my pussy by enlightening me on how this law is for the greater good of our society and my sore twat is an overreaction to having my rights fucked with.

I went to Gander Mountain yesterday and it was PACKED with people purchasing guns.

I went to Gander Mountain yesterday and it was PACKED with people purchasing guns.
It was busy at the shop I went to on Saturday. More so than I've ever seen it.

It was busy at the shop I went to on Saturday. More so than I've ever seen it.

I'm not a "gun enthusiast" and I am someone who supports things like universal background checks and such, but the "3 day cool off" doesn't make sense to me. What's the point? We should have background checks but I can't believe that in today's technology that we can't make this done almost instantly. If a cop can pull up my criminal history sitting in his car at a traffic stop, why does there need to be a three day wait to do a background check or anything else?

Or am I just not educated enough on how it works? I admit I am a newb to the world of firearms, only having recently inherited a few.

I went Christmas shopping for my daughters Saturday morning. I Purchased a Springfield Armory competition 1911-A1 with all of the B's & W's for my youngest and a Mossberg 930 guard dog home defense shotgun for the oldest one. (she is recently married, nice addition to the household).
After I passed the background check and paid I was informed that I would have to return to the store on Thursday to pick up the 1911.
Waiting for the pistol is no biggie under the circumstances, but considering that I was allowed to leave with an 18 1/2", extended capacity, assault shotgun with rails and a laser sight, plus 10 boxes of ammo, struck me as a bit strange. If I had a bone to pick with someone I would consider myself MORE equipped for violence than i'd be with the 1911.
I consider this as (1) an example of really stupid and ineffective gun legislation, (2) an "infringement" of a constitutional right that says in its very text "shall not be infringed" (3) something that makes me wonder just how stupid politicians can actually be.
I could have walked out with a bull-pupped AR, Aug, AK or my pick of sawed off shotgun (which I did). I should have been able to walk out with the 1911 too. I'm definitely triggered and feel sick and alone.

Please WR, rub some ointment on my pussy by enlightening me on how this law is for the greater good of our society and my sore twat is an overreaction to having my rights fucked with.

That's not an infringement.

An infringement would be a law that prevents you from purchasing a firearm.

This is what you would call an inconvenience. It just delays your purchase.

Congrats on the heirloom quality weapons!
Sometime down the road, have SA's Custom Shop do their custom trigger/slide work on it and see how much fun it is to shoot at the range.

"You have to wait three days."
"Three days?! D'oh, but I'm angry right now! "

Congrats on the heirloom quality weapons!
Sometime down the road, have SA's Custom Shop do their custom trigger/slide work on it and see how much fun it is to shoot at the range.
I'm gonna have her put about 1,000 rounds through it before sending it to the shop for a trigger and ramp polish. I have a ported Springfield V-10 commander. It's sweet.

"You have to wait three days."
"Three days?! D'oh, but I'm angry right now! "
Well, if that's the case, just buy a street sweeper shotgun with a 25 round drum. You can leave with that.

Handguns are the weapon of choice for criminals because you can easily conceal them.

Sure, if you were in a suicidal terrorist rampage you would pick a rifle or a shotgun but the fact remain that the vast majority of gun deaths are caused with handguns.

If you really want to off someone and get away with it you will most likely use a handgun.

Well, if that's the case, just buy a street sweeper shotgun with a 25 round drum. You can leave with that.

You will most likely not leave the crime scene with that without being spotted though.

It is an ineffective law that we had in Virginia also at one time.

A feel good bull shit law that was supposed to prevent someone getting mad and buying a handgun then going after the person they were mad at.

So then they could buy a shot gun.

The number of cases of this really happening was so small as to be almost 0.

Your avatar looks like something that belongs on the bathroom wall in Comet Ping Pong.

So, do you think it's a sensible law?

Not really.

I would assume most people willing to go buy a gun and murder someone will still want to murder someone after 3 days have passed.

Im just explaining to you the logic between harder laws for handguns as opposed to long arms.

Back