flexiblity, squat depth ... stretches... how to?

3 dimensional

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
trying to point somebody in the right direction here. i am no expert ... so here i am. what types of stretches for flexibility to achieve squat depth... thanks in advance...

I've been having the same problem. I've been holding the squat position, and doing light pause squats and It's improved my depth pretty well. Still not as flexible as I want to be, just below parallel.

Posted something I thought was relevant, reread it, and realized it was a god-awful thread that wasn't helpful at all. I mindlessly posted it:|

How did you know?

I found the "Asian squat" / "third world squat" to be tremendously helpful.

This has helped me a lot. I started doing it halfway through my Smolov cycle and have been doing it before squatting ever since. Don't pay attention to the fact that the dude does Crossfit.

^^^ what the fuck did I just watch. Sounds like he was trying to teach someone how to stretch in a construction zone lol.

I like:

Bodyweight squats, keeping back arched and holding at the bottom
Overhead squats with a pipe or broomstick
Super-strict GMs (arch back, bend knees fractionally, push hips back as far as they will go)
Reverse hyperextension (put an exercise ball on a bench if you haven't got a machine)

I also think some gentle knee stretching can be helpful, like, sitting with between your knees with your legs bent and feet in by your ass and gently leaning back. But I don't think knee flexibility is the binding constraint for most people- I think for most people it is hips, hamstrings and lumbar mobility.

I found the "Asian squat" / "third world squat" to be tremendously helpful.

I dont find that helpful at all. I could always do that asian squat since I was a child, but you sit in that asian squat with a rounded back and it doesnt stretch anything. So being able to asian squat allows me to squat with a rounded back....

Got the same problem with bodyweight squats. At the lowest point I can go with an arched back, I dont feel any stretch. If I go lower, my back just starts to round, so I still dont feel any stretch. Really makes it hard to believe that bodyweight squats can really be helpful!?

Im also still trying to figure out how to squat below parallel. I guess its pretty much everything from the waist down that has to be flexible. Gonna be some tough work all that stretching coming up...

That super squat video looks interesting. Gotta try that out. Although I believe I have pretty solid spiderman stretch flexibilty. Also, that looks pretty hard to for a pre workout routine. Id do that as a straight stretching session.

Last edited:
I dont find that helpful at all. I could always do that asian squat since I was a child, but you sit in that asian squat with a rounded back and it doesnt stretch anything. So being able to asian squat allows me to squat with a rounded back....

Got the same problem with bodyweight squats. At the lowest point I can go with an arched back, I dont feel any stretch. If I go lower, my back just starts to round, so I still dont feel any stretch. Really makes it hard to believe that bodyweight squats can really be helpful!?

Im also still trying to figure out how to squat below parallel. I guess its pretty much everything from the waist down that has to be flexible. Gonna be some tough work all that stretching coming up...

That super squat video looks interesting. Gotta try that out. Although I believe I have pretty solid spiderman stretch flexibilty. Also, that looks pretty hard to for a pre workout routine. Id do that as a straight stretching session.

You're doing it wrong, obviously. Stand a little higher till your back isn't rounded. Then gradually go down lower.

Back