Flat Earther's

I think the Bible is filled with some good philosophy, some bad. The stories are interesting, kind of like one of the original fantasy novels. It's all very entertaining stuff, based on some great imagination and what people knew of the planet back then. But I couldn't honestly view it in the literal sense, without suspending a whole lot of disbelief.

I'm guessing it's pretty hard when influential people, like say your parents, are insisting to you that they believe it's really a literal book. It's hard to call those you look up to on their bullshit or to tell yourself that those you love the most are out of their fucking minds.

have no issue with it.

but called like it is

its not proof or fact.

its the best explanation with the limited information we have.

pretty sure that ends the 'debate' since that covers basically everything known to man.

cool.

mind sharing them?

Sure, it'll be the umpteenth time I've done it on these forums though so I'm going to try to streamline it. None of this works if you dispute and disagree with the concept of carbon dating, though. In which case, you'll disagree with just everything the scientific method can provide when speaking in terms of age and there's nothing anyone can say to change that. Meaning facts are irrelevant.

First, try researching the neolithic revolution and the birth of agriculture in society. The hunter/gatherer mentality we had going on was working, but we then evolved to the domestication of plant and wild life, making it a much easier process. This happened an estimated 12,000 years ago.

Evidence suggests that most migrated to the Americas thousands of years ago using the land bridge from Russia to Alaska.
Evidence suggests big-game hunter gatherers crossed the Bering Strait from Asia (Eurasia) into North America over a land bridge (Beringia), that existed between 47,000

The non-literalist always befuddles me. So you admit that what the Bible says is not the word of God, but just the imagination of man seeing the world through their own lens?

If not, can you explain why God would be unable to explain the truth to us and be forced to create "allegorical facades"? If he is God, that shouldn't be a limit for him, should it?

no, by my lens comment I was referring to the fact that the people during the time the current iteration of the bible was written down didn't have access to the information we have today. We view things very differently than people did 5k years ago...who viewed things very differently than people who lived 20k years before them.

I don't believe the bible is the word of God, I believe it's clearly a compilation of tradition, myth and admittedly some rather uncomfortable historical facts that are FAR older than anything resembling what Christians of today see as the manifestation "God".

The Romans, the ones responsible for the current Christian understanding of "God", took an otherwise rather romantic and healthy view of humanity and it's place in the universe and turned it into an egocentric control device for elites to subdue the plebs. It's a very complicated situation, but anyone interested can read about the history of Christianity and how it's earliest forms are almost polar opposite to it's current incarnation...in other words, according to the original Gnostic Christians, if you're a practicing Christian today, you are worshiping a demon...essentially. Another thread I suppose.

cool.

mind sharing them?

Next, check out some of the oldest artifacts known.

In what seemed like an unusual occurrence, a map artifact aged more than 14,000 years was found in 1993. The discovery was made in Spain by scientists. The map is embedded on a stone tablet. The artifact reveals a time when maps were not common and neither did they seem to have any use. Primarily, people could just walk around as it is the main highlight in this artifact. Measuring about 13 cm by 18 cm, the stone artifact highlights things about its surrounding including animals and human beings. It signifies a time for hunters and gatherers.

d4962e39847c59ba67c280bb8c01ff8a.jpg

http://www.enkivillage.com/oldest-artifacts.html

3.3.5-1_Spear_Schoningen_CC_p.jpg

Oldest Wooden Spear
Exhibit item
Date of discovery: 1995
Discovered by: Hartmut Thieme
Site: Sch

pretty sure that ends the 'debate' since that covers basically everything known to man.

Except, we can say for certain that the limited information we have in modern times is more than the limited information they had in the BC times. Unless we really want to argue the primitive nature of our modern selves on a computer using the internet.

I'm guessing it's pretty hard when influential people, like say your parents, are insisting to you that they believe it's really a literal book. It's hard to call those you look up to on their bullshit or to tell yourself that those you love the most are out of their fucking minds.

My grandmother insisted that I goto church and sunday school as a child, but even she would laugh at this 6,000 year BS.

who said i believe that?

the only fact is we TRULY DONT KNOW.

we might have an idea using science, but we cant say with 100% certainty that what we believe now is true.

besides i was talking about flat earth not how old earth was

We actually do know that the earth isn't flat. We have actual photo evidence, taken from space, of the planet Earth.

article-2142884-00A32E15000004B0-324_470x423_popup.jpg

Does that look "flat" to you?

hqdefault.jpg

How about that?

earth_2-jpg.jpg

Or that?

facebook-image.jpg

Looks pretty round to me.

I'd like some of these religious nuts to explain core samples. Sediment and especially ice are often distinctly layered like rings on a tree. This is observable as the layering is an ongoing process. In ice samples, we can even extract the gas trapped within and clearly observe that they contain different concentrations of oxygen, carbon dioxide, etc depending on the depth. This correlates to differences in atmospheric conditions and even temperature changes over time. And yes, they date back millions of years.

I believe the earth is 6000 years old and I believe it's a sphere.

That's not what the bible says.

Revelation 7:1
And after these things I saw four angels standing on FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree

who said i believe that?

the only fact is we TRULY DONT KNOW.

we might have an idea using science, but we cant say with 100% certainty that what we believe now is true.

besides i was talking about flat earth not how old earth was

You said you believed that, and yes, we do know.

Is this a real thing? I have never heard of such a thing until I was cruising Joe Rogans Twitter. I am 45 and I have never heard this was a current belief.

Scientists proved the Earth was round 1500 years ago.

Is their still people believe that the earth is flat. Or are they just creating propaganda to make a living of YouTube views.

This baffles me.
Has to be trolling

That's not what the bible says.

Revelation 7:1
And after these things I saw four angels standing on FOUR CORNERS OF THE EARTH, holding the four winds of the earth, that the wind should not blow on the earth, nor on the sea, nor on any tree

Well that just happened.

Only idiots who have fried their brains believe this.

I'm just gonna go ahead and put this right here.
[YT]/watch?v=9yg9cb99CKE[/YT]

Back