Fivefinger Shoes

This. Water shoes, aqua shoes, whatever you want to call them. I jump rope and do conditioning stuff in them, but have never tried running, and they cost like $5. The only different is you dont have individual toe cutouts.
this is so past preposterous its not even funny.

When I was a kid, I had them and used them a lot, for innertubing in Texas. to walk back up to the ponit where you jumped in, you wanted shoes. IMO it was easier to walk barefoot, which I did.

The soles in aqua shoes would give me blisters if it was a long walk. Only thing in my life to ever give me blisters (boot camp USMC I didn't get blisters)

They also flop side to side when running, so you might land on the side of the shoe and end up splatting. If not moving location I will admit they would have similarities. So jumping rope I'd say better than normal shoes. But I'd rather jump rope barefoot. Oh wait I did that in highschool too. This is like comparing cheap 20 dollar tennis shoes to mizunos/assic/top end new balance shoes. You can't do it.

I'm not going to say you get what you pay for. a 60 buck pair of mizunos for me eat out my 130 buck pair of aasics by a mile. They start flatter so they keep a more continous shape throughout their life.

But comparing something thats a friggin slip on almost one size fits all shoe designed to keep glass out of your foot to something thats designed to allow your foot to work like your foot is preposterous.

Also like my 100 buck pair of brooks they seemed to make my foot slap the ground which can lead to stress fractures (not saying it would for everyone but its a concern to be aware of)

I wear them occasionally, and my feet definitely get tired and feel bruised after awhile. I have really rigid arches, so I'm trying to learn to "absorb force" better with my feet, because if I can do that, it plays up the kinetic chain to the knees, hips, low back, etc.

I just got the same size as my classic.

When I was on the phone to the woman I said I need a size smaller. She said they were finding that the sizes matched and rather then listen to instinct and the bloody measurements, I took her advice.
They were the all black ones, EU 42

:icon_sad: I'm a 41!

A) Not that simple - actually running barefoot in most places would leave you with stones, glass etc. in your feet.

B) I guess this is specific to me but I bought my KSOs in the US for ~$85 or so. That's less than a pair of chucks cost around here (so I ended up importing my pair of those too).

Trends must be different where you are. They look pretty ridiculous and people look at you all funny around here.

At least 5 fingers you have something to talk about..barefoot (me) just looks like a dirty hippie..without a shitty hair cut :D

Theirs not THAT much glass around, going barefoot you just look at the ground more..mostly because your heel fucking HURTS if you hit something wrong not paying attention.

Most people are getting hurt (IMO) because they feel license to run / do more in Vibrams then if they were barefoot. Their is / should be a large timescale ramp-up period to get used to the lack of shoe support. Act accordingly.

Weirdly though, when I walk around barefoot 1) I walk faster, maybe its the forwardness (walking on the middle instep vs the heel) and 2) I always WANT to run / jog. Feels like it would be easier.

Sorry to hear about this ^^^.

You do bring up a great point though, a person new to either barefoot running, or minimalist running really needs to go slow.. way slower than you would normally start running. Not because it puts to much stress on your feet, but because running this way will correctly re-train everything from the knee down.. and that can be painful.

My calves deep deep down were in pain for a week, and I started out walking in mine before I ran at all...

After my first 3 miler after building up into it, I couldn't walk properly for a week. By that time, I went for another one :icon_chee

Re people talking about boxing in them.

That would be a no as you have too much grip on them (on wooden floors anyway) and you could injure your knee when you try and pivot.

I have worn them in the ring and on mats when sparring. But that is because I sweat like a pedo in a playground and slip fucking everywhere by the time it comes to sparring.

:icon_sad: I'm a 41!

I'm a EU 44 in my normal shoes!

At least 5 fingers you have something to talk about..barefoot (me) just looks like a dirty hippie..without a shitty hair cut :D

Theirs not THAT much glass around, going barefoot you just look at the ground more..mostly because your heel fucking HURTS if you hit something wrong not paying attention.

Most people are getting hurt (IMO) because they feel license to run / do more in Vibrams then if they were barefoot. Their is / should be a large timescale ramp-up period to get used to the lack of shoe support. Act accordingly.

Weirdly though, when I walk around barefoot 1) I walk faster, maybe its the forwardness (walking on the middle instep vs the heel) and 2) I always WANT to run / jog. Feels like it would be easier.
Running in classics fucking hurts if you land on a sharp pebble, so you definitely have to watch where you are going (although in woodland, it's hard to see them and roots).

Maybe you walk faster due to less weight on your feet?

On topic- I went for a run yesterday morning. Only 2 miles as I damaged my achilles the end of August I think and trained on it for 2 weeks before I thought best let hit heal and no kicking etc on it.
Calves are pretty sore today, although touch wood the achilles feels no worse.

I have stupidly signed up for a 15 miler off road the end of next month, a 22 miler in March and a 78 miler (still to be paid) which are all either fell running, trail running or a combination of those and beach runs.
I'm going to get myself some treks for these and hope I can get back into it and get the miles in my legs.

Only issue is, the further I have ever run is 13 miles in one go, so very unsure how to train for these longer ones in general, let alone how much adaption will be needed for the 78 miler while wearing vibrams.
It will be interesting me thinks, especially as I'm like 14st at the moment (196lb plus some change for you yankees).

Remember to roll and stretch your lower legs, back front and sides, and that there's a difference between running (forwards) on the balls of your feet and (too far forwards) on your toes. Some great discussion in here.

Remember to roll and stretch your lower legs, back front and sides, and that there's a difference between running (forwards) on the balls of your feet and (too far forwards) on your toes. Some great discussion in here.

can you explain to me what you mean by roll your legs?

Back