Fivefinger Shoes

A guy I train with had the buckle break on his pretty easily. I went the Nike Free Run route. More durable, and a little less ridiculous looking

I do everything I can in my KSOs. Why the comments like you need a heel to lift correctly or that if you're lifting in them you're doing it wrong?

I can see how doing oly style squats with them would be less efficient compared to oly shoes, or raised heels. That's mainly due to a lack of ankle flexibility though, not that it makes it mechanically easier or something if I'm remembering right.

I remember reading a lot on barefoot lifting, mainly on t-nation, but other sites too.

You guys do know that the athletic/running shoe was created in the 70s, right? Barefoot running has been around for millions of years. Which is the "fad" again?

Minimalist running shoes aren't anything special. Shoe companies have been making them for years. Back then they were called running flats - shoes with thin soles made for competitive running. If you look at the past great runners, they all wore running flats, not these thick heeled monstrosities that we wear on our feet these days. If anything, these minimalist shoes encourage forefoot striking vs traditional heel striking which causes high stress impact injuries. Forefoot striking has been clinically shown to provide minimal impact injuries because landing on your forefoot acts as a suspension system for your legs. Besides a great benefit for runners, barefoot training also helps strengthen the muscles in your feet that were weakened by today's "supportive" athletic shoes. Look up the causes of plantar facilititis.

Either way, you don't need to buy these fancy shoes. If anything, try training WITHOUT shoes first. Like a previous poster mentioned, start slowly first. I wouldn't throw my shoes away and run a marathon without strengthening your feet first to get used to barefoot running.

You guys do know that the athletic/running shoe was created in the 70s, right? Barefoot running has been around for millions of years. Which is the "fad" again?

Minimalist running shoes aren't anything special. Shoe companies have been making them for years. Back then they were called running flats - shoes with thin soles made for competitive running. If you look at the past great runners, they all wore running flats, not these thick heeled monstrosities that we wear on our feet these days. If anything, these minimalist shoes encourage forefoot striking vs traditional heel striking which causes high stress impact injuries. Forefoot striking has been clinically shown to provide minimal impact injuries because landing on your forefoot acts as a suspension system for your legs. Besides a great benefit for runners, barefoot training also helps strengthen the muscles in your feet that were weakened by today's "supportive" athletic shoes. Look up the causes of plantar facilititis.

Either way, you don't need to buy these fancy shoes. If anything, try training WITHOUT shoes first. Like a previous poster mentioned, start slowly first. I wouldn't throw my shoes away and run a marathon without strengthening your feet first to get used to barefoot running.
flats are faster. barefoot running or not. When I run a PFT (3 mile run) its going to be in flats

If I could do my day to day activities in them and not look like a complete idiot with them I would.

I don't like them for lifting, stability issues. I don't like lifting barefoot either.

I just got a pair of kso treks today no heel so you shouldn't be lifting in them. I'm going to spend an hour or two every day in them until I get to ca, then in my off time they will be on my feet there.

I want a pair of treks, but over here they are

My ex was quite unhappy with the smell my feet had after wearing mine

What size and colour combo are the KSO that are too big mate?

I just got the same size as my classic.

When I was on the phone to the woman I said I need a size smaller. She said they were finding that the sizes matched and rather then listen to instinct and the bloody measurements, I took her advice.
They were the all black ones, EU 42

I got a 45 like I do in everything else (matched the measurements too) and they fit perfectly even though I have rather huge big toes.

Fivefingers are awesome. Period. I am very sure that whoever thinks it's a fad has never owned a pair.

I don't like lifting in them; I've tried but I feel that if there are any lateral forces (where the feet meet the ground) the fabric will tear apart.

I wore a pair of the Sprints through the floor, and eventually tore a hole in the right big toe that was the end of the shoe. I have found that if after you wash them, you let them air dry outside over night then the smell is much easier to handle. It almost makes the stench non-existent.

I own a pair of KSO's, I use them every single day unless there's heavy rain. I've ordered a second pair. T

I also just ordered a pair of the Moc. Im hoping that it'll be a decent lifting shoe, supposedly it's a stronger fabric. We'll see.

Wearing my KSO's as we speak just got done a run.

They will change the way you train. As for the fad part...If they work and help you out I don't see how they are a fad?

I know one thing, I'll never run in anything else again.

ALSO Ricardo Almeida is a big fan of them just a little FYI

To find out more about this ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^, and even if you're not a runner but like a good read. Read this:

borntorunw.jpg

Wearing my KSO's as we speak just got done a run.

They will change the way you train. As for the fad part...If they work and help you out I don't see how they are a fad?

I know one thing, I'll never run in anything else again.

ALSO Ricardo Almeida is a big fan of them just a little FYI

A also just got back from a run in a pair of KSO's.. and as I thought about it, the only thing I wouldn't do in Fivefingers is play basketball... but I'm 5'7 and fat, so no biggie!

A also just got back from a run in a pair of KSO's.. and as I thought about it, the only thing I wouldn't do in Fivefingers is play basketball... but I'm 5'7 and fat, so no biggie!

haha if I were you in invest in stilts then!

They are great for lifting. However, I had a bad experience with them running. Because they put so much stress on your feet you need to ease into running. While I tried to do this, I clearly pushed it too hard. I ran 2 days in a row, about 1.5 miles each time. My foot was a little sore where the strap goes across the top of my foot. I took the next day off, but then went for 3 miles the following day. After about 2 miles, my foot swelled up like a blimp and I could hardly limp back home. I couldn't walk for about a week without a severe limp. I had to step on the outside of my foot. Now, it has been almost 2 months since then and I am about 90%. I do not run, but am lifting and everything else. I also pop motrin everyday, and continue to RICE it.

Sorry to hear about this ^^^.

You do bring up a great point though, a person new to either barefoot running, or minimalist running really needs to go slow.. way slower than you would normally start running. Not because it puts to much stress on your feet, but because running this way will correctly re-train everything from the knee down.. and that can be painful.

My calves deep deep down were in pain for a week, and I started out walking in mine before I ran at all...

Can't you just grab a pair of aqua socks at Walmart for like, 10 bucks? Same principle, no?

This. Water shoes, aqua shoes, whatever you want to call them. I jump rope and do conditioning stuff in them, but have never tried running, and they cost like $5. The only different is you dont have individual toe cutouts.

This. Water shoes, aqua shoes, whatever you want to call them. I jump rope and do conditioning stuff in them, but have never tried running, and they cost like $5. The only different is you dont have individual toe cutouts.

If you're a runner and you put 20 - 30 miles a week of running in, I wonder if the aqua shoes will last very long? I've never tried and don't know, but at some point the cost to replace the pairs of aqua shoes may be more than just buying a good pair of Fivefingers?

Back