Fivefinger Shoes

BOYWONDER88

White Belt
Reaction score
Any body train with the fivefinger shoes? Does it help with performance? Or does it add strain to joints and such? I would like some feed back before i order it.

Pfft, I like them

edit- although I'm not happy with the price it has to be said. Over here they're

Yeah, a PT at my gym always trains with those. And gloves. And underarmour. He has hyooooge pecs, tiiiiiiiiny thighs and has admitted to me that he sometimes has olive oil in his gloves to keep his hands soft for his "girlfriend".

I didn't quite mean train as in rolling or sparring. I meant to do sprints, circuits and squats. It's supposedly better, for it allows you to distribute balance and more push, rather than the spring effect with the cushion.
Just wanted some feedback from actual guys that have used it.

I didn't quite mean train as in rolling or sparring. I meant to do sprints, circuits and squats. It's supposedly better, for it allows you to distribute balance and more push, rather than the spring effect with the cushion.

Yeah, I think Bolt was wearing those when he broke the WR.

I wear them generally.

Until my classics developed a hole in them, I wore them all the time. I'm in quite a relaxed office, so woud wear them here.
I used to run, bike and lift in them as well.

I think they are great for lifting and running etc... There is a larger thread on them in the gear and equipment forum if you want to check that out.

I lift and run in mine all the time. If they stink you can throw them in the washer. Lifting in them is great, but running in them has made all the difference. You can learn more about the benefits of 'em by reading about:

Barefoot running
Minimalist running (would wear Fivefingers)
Running Shoe running

Do you like to train barefeet?

If yes, you'll like them.
If no, you won't.

I don't own them but they are on my list of equipment to buy when I get extra money. The people I know that own them all love them. For running and lifting.

They are great for lifting. However, I had a bad experience with them running. Because they put so much stress on your feet you need to ease into running. While I tried to do this, I clearly pushed it too hard. I ran 2 days in a row, about 1.5 miles each time. My foot was a little sore where the strap goes across the top of my foot. I took the next day off, but then went for 3 miles the following day. After about 2 miles, my foot swelled up like a blimp and I could hardly limp back home. I couldn't walk for about a week without a severe limp. I had to step on the outside of my foot. Now, it has been almost 2 months since then and I am about 90%. I do not run, but am lifting and everything else. I also pop motrin everyday, and continue to RICE it.

Fivefingers are awesome. Period. I am very sure that whoever thinks it's a fad has never owned a pair.

I don't like lifting in them; I've tried but I feel that if there are any lateral forces (where the feet meet the ground) the fabric will tear apart. I like my "lifting shoes" (a pair of cheap flat-soled adidas) and would probably lift bare footed before I lifted in fivefingers. I haven't tried running in them since I don't run these days, but I've heard nothing but good things.

I own a pair of KSO's, I use them every single day unless there's heavy rain. I've ordered a second pair. The gait mechanics are different and it takes some getting used to. Anatomically speaking, they allow for "ergonomically correct" function of the foot muscles as well as the muscles around the ankle, which has benefits all the way up the kinetic chain. The specific reason I got them was that they allow for the calf muscles and achilles tendon to function as a shock absorber, in order to minimize stress in my shinbone edemas.

You can use socks (but they also need to have fingers), and if they get stinky (which, if you don't use socks, they eventually do) put them in the washing machine and dry them with a hair dryer. The only problem is that once you get used to them you won't want to use "normal" shoes ever again.

Its a fact its better for the whole body to train bare foot. So even though these are a fad they are much better for you to train in them. I don't have any but am considering getting some.

Can't you just grab a pair of aqua socks at Walmart for like, 10 bucks? Same principle, no?

I figure if people want to run barefoot, run barefoot. If you want to look cool and have people notice your trendy footwear, buy the fivefingers.

Fivefingers are awesome. Period. I am very sure that whoever thinks it's a fad has never owned a pair.

I said they are a fad because the supposed benefits do not justify the over-inflated price. Plus they have a "cool hipster" vibe to them that makes them even more fad-like. I`ll probably buy a pair in the future but I`ll wait first till they are out of style and the price comes down accordingly. For the time being I`ll stick to my standard trainers and wrestling shoes.

I tried on a pair that would be my size. Unfortuntely my big toe is gargantuan and did not fit right, stretched it out so the toe was touchigthe ground through the fabric not the rubber.

I climbed and walked around in em for an hour. They were fun. Didnt seem worth the 75$ or whatever they are. Kinda flimsy

They are great for lifting. However, I had a bad experience with them running. Because they put so much stress on your feet you need to ease into running. While I tried to do this, I clearly pushed it too hard. I ran 2 days in a row, about 1.5 miles each time. My foot was a little sore where the strap goes across the top of my foot. I took the next day off, but then went for 3 miles the following day. After about 2 miles, my foot swelled up like a blimp and I could hardly limp back home. I couldn't walk for about a week without a severe limp. I had to step on the outside of my foot. Now, it has been almost 2 months since then and I am about 90%. I do not run, but am lifting and everything else. I also pop motrin everyday, and continue to RICE it.

Silly boy

I built up my 5 milers over a period of 4 months or so

Back