First time parents..What to expect? Seeking advice from the knowledgeable.

You won't get a lot of quality sleep for a while, but don't worry. It gets better. Congrats, brah!

i honestly suggest just each of you taking turns being with the kid ALONE for 1-2 days a week. i mean if you gotta have her stay with her parents for a couple days then do it. catch up on sleep and then its your turn. its good to get away from each other (and the kid) now and then.

Don't know if this has been said,but for the first 6 months sleep when your baby sleeps,if they are awake at night. And get ready for never being sure what is gonna happen at any given moment.

Lack of sleep can be really tormenting and be prepared for the home invasion of family and relatives because everyone wants to see the baby.

We told our closest one that we want to be on our own the first two to three weeks.

first time father here (6 weeks Friday)! Get ready for a fucked up sleep schedule

yup. My daughter will be 1 on monday. I'm currently fighting her off as i type this. For the past month or so, she's been waking up at 1-2am for 2 hours of playtime (more like knock every fucking thing in the room down thats within reach before moving on to unplugging things and beating the shit outta the cats).

pay close attention to the times when u are asleep, remember them, and cherish them. for very soon you wont get the chance to any longer.
also, i hope u like poopoo and peepee, and crying.
and not having money.

this...

also do you have low income? check with your state, you may qualify for programs that give you aid to milk, diapers etc etc

Start saving money now. Diapers and onsies are just the tip of the watch your money disappear iceberg.

All babies are different but general rules: babies cry alot which usually means hunger, tiredness, boredom, or not feeling well. Hunger and boredom are easy to determine. For tiredness try doing squats while holding them to your chest. You look like an idiot but it puts em to sleep quick. White noice and vibrations help (bounce on your toes as you walk them around).

Also, mainly breast feed for the first 6 months. You`ll save a shitload as formula is expensive plus breast milk is healthier.

Babies are super fragile and don`t have any body or muscle control at first so don`t be upset when ur newborbn kicks you and make sure to give them head and neck support while holding them

I had my daughter when I was 19. Learn to be patient and buy a gas mask for cleaning up the insane amounts of shit the little bastards manage to produce.

But seriously it's not so bad. Just keep your head on your shoulders and you'll be fine.

Ok..... So... According to two pregnancy 'pee' sticks, my GF appears to be pregnant. Im keeping a calm and cool demeanor, but obviously Im a little nervous, since this was unplanned.

I havent talked to anyone family or friends yet, and want to try and keep this relatively low key from people in my close circle.

Im probably setting myself up posting this anywhere a Sherdogger can see this, but Im taking a chance that I wont get trolled too hard. Hopefully I will get some good answers, or "insider advice" if you will.(and yes, Im also searching other articles and references) Naturally, Im not leaving all my answers/decisions in the hands of Sherdoggers, as most of you have yet to have kids. No offense).

Thanks in advance.

This ought to be good.... :cool:

Expect very little sleep the first 6 months or so unless you're lucky. Lot's or crying, changing diapers, getting frustrated, doctor's visits, no sex for a while after and various other things.

But, you do have one of the most wonderful things that can ever happen to you and you will look into their eyes and feel so much love. It really makes up for any of the bad stuff by a mile.

Congrats.

If you live together, make sure you have a comfortable couch--if you want to get some sleep.

Sleep now. And get as much sex as you can before it starts becoming painful and unappealing to your old lady

Other then that, I personally developed a serious taste for Canadian whiskey..

Also make sure you guys are making time for yourselves as well. Yourchild is tthe most important thing but you have to maintain a happy home too :) good luck and congrats!

No knowledge here, but good luck.

Size 1 diapers are the best value, so don't bother with the newborn diapers unless your kid comes out under six pounds and keep them in them for as long as possible. Sign up for Amazon mom and amazon prime, you can get 20% off diapers and wipes etc.

I gave all three of my kids Sam's Club formula, it's probably the best value if you don't qualify for WIC. You'd be surprised how many people qualify for WIC the first six months after the baby is born. The WIC lady will come to your gf's hospital room and sign her up. It might only save you 30 dollars a week, but it's something.

Figure out how to save money now(cancel subscriptions you don't use, TV, netflix, xbox...) so it'll be easier when you don't have time to think and everything seems rushed. Also, you need to sign your baby up on your(or your GF's) health insurance before the baby is born or you'll get stuck with the hospital bills. If that's not possible, go to medicaid, the reason it exists is to cover babies and children who don't have access to health insurance.

Thank you all for your responses. I thought I would revisit this thread. Its been well over a year and I love being a dad. Yes you get tired a ton more, a lot less late night benders, but I would not trade it for anything in the world. It truly is an amazing-blessed feeling. Numero 2 should be coming next year.

Thank you all for your responses. I thought I would revisit this thread. Its been well over a year and I love being a dad. Yes you get tired a ton more, a lot less late night benders, but I would not trade it for anything in the world. It truly is an amazing-blessed feeling. Numero 2 should be coming next year.

Good for you, man. Becoming a father really changes you. It really is amazing.

Back