Fights Where Fighters Broke and "Quit"

Before a fight or during a fight?
Because IMO Conor broke during it, but Forrest broke before it

Nunes broke Tate. I don't think that choke was even under Tate's chin, she was just done.

Rockhold vs Lyoto Machida. Lyoto did nothing to defend against the choke. He was only thinking of tapping.

Last edited:
Woodley vs. MacDonald also possibly Woodley vs. Shields

Every Ken Shamrock fight since 2004.

BJ Penn had some fights were he quit & just tried to not get finished. Also a lot of Anderson Silva's opponents broke mentally before they even came to the fight.

I don't get the "Rumble quit against DC" argument. He fought till his gas tank is completely over, even took DC down a round after he started to gas. That alone is a sign of heart.

Its not like he tapped to strikes either, the choke was locked deep in an he tapped after a moderate amount of time.

Can anyone help me understand how any of this is "Quitting" ? I think people are confusing being physically done with mentally done

Diaz-Double-Finger.gif

Cowboy vs. Pettis, RDA, and Nate.

That Russian that fought against Luis Henrique too, dude tapped to a no hooks RNC after getting dominated for most of the fight. I really thought Smolyakov was going to become one of the better prospects at HW.

I don't get the "Rumble quit against DC" argument. He fought till his gas tank is completely over, even took DC down a round after he started to gas. That alone is a sign of heart.

Its not like he tapped to strikes either, the choke was locked deep in an he tapped after a moderate amount of time.

Can anyone help me understand how any of this is "Quitting" ? I think people are confusing being physically done with mentally done

Would have to watch it again but you can tell when a fighter is giving up, giving up their back, giving up the choke.

Watch Kongo vs Velasquez. Kongo had every opportunity there was to quit in that fight but managed to stay in there for the full 15. I'm not saying Kongo is a fighter that never quits but that fight is similar to the DC/RUMBLE fight where one guy is drowning the other. Kongo kept moving from bad position to bad position never surrendering and remaining still and letting the "ocean drown him".

Back