Fights Where Fighters Broke and "Quit"

Mestre Hulk literally climb out of the ring vs Mark Kerr. DQ crawling out of the ring.

Art Jimmerson tapped out when Royce got mount. Submission due to position.

Rockhold vs Lyoto Machida. Lyoto did nothing to defend against the choke. He was only thinking of tapping.
THIS.

Came in here to post the same thing but you beat me to it.

Nunes vs Tate was another example of an obviously broken fighter using the choke as a way out

I would consider becoming a "panic wrestler" constitutes breaking and quitting.

Not to defend McGregor, but a desperation shoot when hurt is the opposite of giving up/quitting.

Paul Buentello against Kongo. He tapped to elbows to the thigh
I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembered that one.

Another one I'll never forget is Antoni Hardonk vs Sherman Pendergarst: guy gets KOed via kick to the butt.

Sage Northcock with the quick tap?
Very quick but i wouldnt say he was broken, i believe the strep throat played a big part in that and mentally knowing you were sick would be encouraging more then damaging when sage looks back on it

Tapping to a locked submission is not quitting: it's part of the game and it's an expected outcome. Quitting is refusing to fight, calling the fight off, throwing the towel or refusing to answer the bell.

The most obvious choice is BJ Penn refusing to come back for round 5 against GSP. I can't think of another one right now but I'm sure there are a lot more.

Give up their back? I mean...thats the case in %90 of the RNC finishes. So why is Rumble/DC any more quitting than all the other finishes?

And its not like Rumble just gave his back. He gave it after surviving at least 2 rounds being gassed. If anything Rumble showed a lot of heart in that fight.

Now I DON'T agree with Woodley's crazy theories about gassing being black and shit, but I do believe people have pre-assumptions when it comes to Rumble, and not really paying attention to what they are watching.

It's the way a fighter gives up his back.

Again, go watch the kongo/cain fight. Kongo could've EASILY said fuck this and let him get finished and it wouldn't have looked bad at all. You don't think Kongo was absolutely exhausted from having Cain pummeling and wrestlefucking him? He's even a bigger guy with obviously worse cardio and on top of that a lesser grappler than Rumble.

Was Rumble about to get TKO'd and his last resort was to turn to his back to avoid being punched unconscious?
Or did he turn to his back to get a second to breathe as evidence of him loosing his willingness to stay in there?

Belford vs Jacaré.

Ronda vs Holm

I'm far from a Ronda fan but I can't see how she quit during that fight. Her game plan certainly sucked but you can't deny that she had a lot of heart and kept coming forward til the very end.

Now, if you mean breaking and quitting AFTER the fight, then I believe you are absolutely correct.

We need to stop suggesting that gassing = quitting. Quitting is a mental decision. Gassing is a disconnect between the mental and the physical.

He both gasses and quits.

Not sure what Rumble fights you've been watching.

Maybe check out the ones he loses (Koscheck, Vitor, DC)

So he panic wrestled? The thing he would give other fighters shit about?

Doesn't matter if he gave people shit about it.
"Panic wrestling" isn't quitting. Quitting is quitting. Wrestling in a hope that you can continue to fight until you get a better position/recover from getting punched suggests you want to keep fighting, not that you want to quit

GSP broke BJ Penn...
"To the death george"
then after a beating, he wont get off the stool

Velasquez against Werdum. He had enough on the feet. Decided to end it quick and give Fabrico the neck. He wanted outt there.

"Panic wrestling" isn't quitting. Quitting is quitting. Wrestling in a hope that you can continue to fight until you get a better position/recover from getting punched suggests you want to keep fighting, not that you want to quit
Dont know man. Panic wrestling is pretty much quitting if you know its your weakness and taking that route has minute levels of success.

I have nothing against fighters tapping out or trying to get to a better position but it was stupid of McGregor to ever say that.

He did look like he was done and ready to get out of that fight, though. Did you see his body language and how he gave up his back right away?

It's called a Von Flue Choke. Go watch the Gracie breakdown.

I'm a white belt and I've been tapped with that choke.

I know what a von flute choke is, but you shouldn't be able to do it from half guard across the body like that. It just doesn't work like that. In order for Bambam to have generated enough pressure to get a tap would have had to be completely open to an easy sweep.

He both gasses and quits.

Not sure what Rumble fights you've been watching.

Maybe check out the ones he loses (Koscheck, Vitor, DC)

I understand that it looks like he's quitting. But I've been there and know it's not a matter of a mental decision. When your body won't go, your body won't go. What we call "heart" is usually just conditioning/chin. But I'm telling you: It's easy to watch these guys and scream for them to go down swinging, but the body doesn't work that way.

I understand that it looks like he's quitting. But I've been there and know it's not a matter of a mental decision. When your body won't go, your body won't go. What we call "heart" is usually just conditioning/chin. But I'm telling you: It's easy to watch these guys and scream for them to go down swinging, but the body doesn't work that way.

He quit man.

Call it what you like.

Back