Fighters who retired too early

GSP fought smart and retired smart.
Khabib still could have done plenty of great things if he had stuck around. Chad Mendez and others “retired” only to go to BKFC for bigger pay days.

memories were telling me Mark Hominick but after a quick search i realize that he went 0-2 after the Aldo-Zombie fights, i genuinely remembered that he quit after the Zombie ko.

At least a rare shoutout for Mark! A Canadian pioneer for sure

It's never too early if the fighter thinks its the right move.

I suppose the correct answer is the fighters that make a comeback, like Jimmy Flick or Henry Cejudo, but in terms of as a fan?

Yeah Duquesnoy was a good one, Khabib obviously, but it used to be that most fighters cut by the UFC instantly retired as there was no point. 30 year old guys just retiring.

That seems to have changed a bit now.

I don't really even think Henry 'retired', I just think he overplayed his hand with UFC, was 'coming back' either way lol.

Khabib retired before he lost and i think he did what was best for him, I see a few mention of the guy here

Konrad was a better wrestler than Cain. Maybe even better than Cormier since Konrad was a heavyweight wrestler, Cormier was far from it during his wrestling career.

Would've been very interesting to see how that one played out.
Too one dimensional. Cain would have whooped his ass. Brock was also a better wrestler than Cain and we all know how that went.

Mendes maybe? Lost against Volk in a dogfight, then decided to call it quits. To be fair he didn't know how good Volk would turn out to be.

I think he would have hung around in the top 5 for a while after. He would wrestle the hell out of Yair, and beat Ortega probably.

Mendes probably could beat a lot of guys back then or even now. But retiring at 33 when he wanted to from mma doesn't sound like a bad idea to me.

Did I want to see him continue? 100 percent yes.

Too one dimensional. Cain would have whooped his ass. Brock was also a better wrestler than Cain and we all know how that went.

bruh we need my thread back.

Cain wasn't whooping Conrad. I doubt that. Conrad isn't Brock Lesnar

bruh we need my thread back.

Cain wasn't whooping Conrad. I doubt that. Conrad isn't Brock Lesnar
Konrad was less physically impressive and had even worse striking than Brock. Dude was literally a can crusher.

Konrad was less physically impressive and had even worse striking than Brock. Dude was literally a can crusher.

Bruh, Cormier looks less impressive than Cain and Konrad combined.

Konrad was legit.

Bruh, Cormier looks less impressive than Cain and Konrad combined.

Konrad was legit.
DC was also an elite striker and even he admits Cain got the better of him in the gym. Konrad had no striking. He was the heavyweight Ben Askren.

DC was also an elite striker and even he admits Cain got the better of him in the gym. Konrad had no striking. He was the heavyweight Ben Askren.

This is false.

Askren has no striking. Konrad did.

Ok, point to a fight where he displayed his striking.
He had an 80 inch reach, he routinely controlled the distance in every fight I can remember. He had basic striking, but it was good enough to play his game. He wasn't winning K-1 Grand Prix's any time soon, but for MMA it weas clearly effective.

Been a long time since he last fought...

He's legit. He's not Ben Askren.
Point to a fight where he showed off his striking.

And who says Ben wasn't legit? Ben faced way more legit competition than Konrad did. Konrad's best win is Neil Grove.

Back