• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fighters who fell the farthest in one fight

Fighting is a merciless game. Nearly every fighter is one beatdown away from a rapid decline. So who fell the farthest and fastest in one fight?

Rory Mac v Ruthless?
T-Ferg v Gaehtje?
R3 vs Holm?
Silva v Weidman?

Prob gotta be Ronda cus she fell from higher thanks to her crossover stardom and platform. The thorough outclassing exposed her in a way that mortally wounded the rounda rousey machine they'd built

Tony came outta the gaethje fight looking the most lost in terms of direction and momentum & we’ve yet to see him recover and get a w. It was understood that the snakebitten Khabib story had finally slipped away for the last time and it seemed inevitable the story of his career would be el cucuy the monster and folkhero who put together a crazy winstreak for a long time but never got the real shot

After the Robby 2 fight it felt like Rory lost the most in terms of fighting spirit and seemed to have sorta internally moved on from being the silent killer with a fire in him to chase greatness, to the savvy vet conceding that he'd rather get paid and compete. The Robby fight seemed to show him the cost was just not worth it anymore and hard to blame him...Honestly looked like he just became a more mature, balanced human wanting to make sure he could play catch with his future grandkids

IIRC the popular belief after the weidman 1 fight was that Anderson just got caught goofing around, and the betting lines reflected that cus I think anderson was still the favorite for the 2nd fight, so I don’t think he fell super far due to that one fight in particular and still went into the second fight with much of his aura and fan belief. But of course it was after that 2nd fight that everything changed in an instant. It wasn't clear that he'd even fight again, and if he did, it seemed impossible to come back and still be the spider we all knew

tl;dr Prob Ronda lol

Last edited:
the Jiri fight ended his career for sure.

but others fell from a higher place than he did.

True but he literally never looked better than he did in that Jones fight...after that he fell off the cliff.

As an example, Sir, Matt Hughes wasn't the same after fighting a train......
Gb34j-.gif

That's fucked up but I laughed you bastad .. we're both going to hell for that sir lol.

Fighting is a merciless game. Nearly every fighter is one beatdown away from a rapid decline. So who fell the farthest and fastest in one fight?

Rory Mac v Ruthless?
T-Ferg v Gaehtje?
R3 vs Holm?
Silva v Weidman?
I think Rousey just had 2 really bad matchups. That and mentally just wasn't there. You'd think she's be more defensive after Holm kicked her head off but went in again with sloppy boxing against the heaviest hitter the division has ever had so I'd say the evidence of her drop off just isn't there (many think she could come back and be champ though which I think might be a stretch.)

Rashad Evans was a weird one after Jones. Squeaked one out against Hendo then somehow demolished Sonnen and fell off a cliff. The UFC was trying so hard to get him a win and the man couldn't even beat Sam Alvey.

There are a lot of those actually, one that came to mind is BJ Penn in losing against Nick Diaz, I remember BJ saying something like "I don't even know why I'm fighting anymore", from there it has been a tough decline to watch.
Another devastating one is Sakuraba vs Wanderlei 1, which basically ended the whole Saku dream in a brutal wake up call, from there Saku didn't have the same aura.

That's fucked up but I laughed you bastad .. we're both going to hell for that sir lol.
Glad you laughed. I thought it was funny & harsh at the same time, but just could not help myself. Hope we get ringside seats, bruz:) We'll be with the just bleed gods.

Glad you laughed. I thought it was funny & harsh at the same time, but just could not help myself. Hope we get ringside seats, bruz:) We'll be with the just bleed gods.

Lol I love that you're thinking outside of the box with the ringside seats sir.

There are so many examples because its a one man sport, highly driven by psychology and losing badly after a long time of domination breaks a lot of people and many struggle to regain the same momentum, confidence, form which they had before. On the other hand their next opponents gain the confidence which they lost so it makes it even harder.

Its still pretty recent but the Gane Jones fight made Gane looked terrible.
No TDD, no defensive bjj...the guy who was once labeled the new breed of hw just appeared extremly one dimensional after that one.

Brock after "winning" against Carwin, Never even legitimately won a fight or a round again.

There are so many examples because its a one man sport, highly driven by psychology and losing badly after a long time of domination breaks a lot of people and many struggle to regain the same momentum, confidence, form which they had before. On the other hand their next opponents gain the confidence which they lost so it makes it even harder.
I mean people, like let's say Volk or Islam now, who are at the top of the sport but get beat into a living death and are never, ever the same after. People who fall really far in one fight.

Rory Mac v Ruthless?
T-Ferg v Gaehtje?
R3 vs Holm?
Silva v Weidman?
Franklin vs Loiseau was a career altering BEATDOWN!

Back