• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fighter you expected to make it big in the UFC

Will brooks
Lorenz Larkin
Gilbert Melendez
Phil Davis

Going back a bit here, but anyone remember Jason Lambert from around 2005 or 2006. He won his first three fights in the UFC and later ko’d Babalu. Rashad derailed him at some point. I thought he was going to smash his way through the lhw division.

Attachments

• C90E11B9-626B-4B79-828D-6DCC4B993C34.jpeg
    C90E11B9-626B-4B79-828D-6DCC4B993C34.jpeg
    161.4 KB · Views: 5
Another one, before David Bielkhieden debuted in the UFC someone posted this highlight of him here on Sherdog. People were greatly influenced by it, he looked incredible and came from a great team in Brazilian Top Team. He did not quite pan out.

David Terrell was another great prospect from the 2005ish era. He looked great against his first few opponents and then got crushed by Evan Tanner. I think he only fought a couple more fights after that. It’s a shame. I still believe he could have been one of the greats.

Attachments

• 01C8135F-402F-4A8C-9474-584ED73CFA4F.jpeg
    01C8135F-402F-4A8C-9474-584ED73CFA4F.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 3
Cholish - thought he'd be top 5 or at least top 10.
Phan - thought he'd be a solid top 15 gatekeeper type.

Melendez fought for the belt.
Davis finished Gustafsson.
Yup. After the Brian Stann fight I thought he was going to be fighting for the belt.

Gilbert is 1-5 in his UFC career moron, he was gifted a title shot because he was the strikeforce champion.

A lot of guys already mentioned it

One fighter I'd like to add is Josh Punk Thomson, not because he sucked in the octagon, I think if injuries and some bs decisions hadn't happened, he could have been UFC champion at one point

CM Punk

giphy.gif
{<jordan}
Is this the most pathetic thing ever in the UFC? No counting WMMA ofcourse

Cro-Cop
Houston Alexander
Hector Lombard
Costas Philippou
Joe Lauzon
Jake Ellenberger
Uriah Hall

Hermes Franca went an a smashing spree in 2006 and won something like 7 in a row that year. A bunch of us from the office were cheering for him when he fought Sherk. Sadly it was the end of his streak and he faded from the scene shortly after.

Attachments

• 18192585-7C40-4A56-B33A-5547CC051949.jpeg
    18192585-7C40-4A56-B33A-5547CC051949.jpeg
    37.9 KB · Views: 2
Anthony Johnson at 170
Todd Duffee
Gilbert Melendez
It was obvious Johnson was never going to remain at 170. He missed weight every other fight, and he looked like a literal skeleton when he did make weight.

Duffee got waaaaaaaay too much hype behind him for a one-punch KO against a completely unknown fighter in his debut. He was the most over-hyped fighter of the decade after one fight.

Melendez fought for the belt and only lost by a split decision, so it's not like he didn't live up to his Strikeforce hype. Post-roid suspension Melendez...that's another story.

Going back a bit here, but anyone remember Jason Lambert from around 2005 or 2006. He won his first three fights in the UFC and later ko’d Babalu. Rashad derailed him at some point. I thought he was going to smash his way through the lhw division.
I think you were the only one who thought that dude...what am I forgetting? I only remember him losing to Rashad, and his wins were pretty forgettable.

Back