fedor

PariahCarey said:
You make me laugh. How easily you lose your poise...let me let you in on a lil secret...girls don't dig psuedo Spocks with anger management issures...listen to what i'm saying maybe you'll get a chick...

Typical last ditch effort from someone whose position was thoroughly dismantled. Clearly this is an open cry for attention regarding a thinly veiled admission of childhood homosexual experimentation.

I couldn

Eh might be arguing petty things here but I'm bored.

thecreator said:
Pullups dont work the traps, they do the lats.

I'd be willing to bet there is use of traps in pullups. I'm not sure if you are talking about main movers or what. However, I am pretty sure that the above statement is wrong.

thecreator said:
You can use as much weight as you want doing pullups, just like on a barbell.

I would think this would be increasing difficult once you get to a certain range. After all, that weight has to hang from somewhere. (Pull ups)

Sean S said:
I would think this would be increasing difficult once you get to a certain range. After all, that weight has to hang from somewhere. (Pull ups)

Yea I think a vest should be safer a while.

Hanging those from the neck or back could cause serious injury.

Ted-P said:
Yea I think a vest should be safer a while.

Hanging those from the neck or back could cause serious injury.

Well either way I would think that when you get to heavy weights like say over 400, the pull up thing just ain't going to work. So to say that a pull up can match barbell rows is going a bit too far.

In vertical pullups, the trap work is minimal.

To use more weight you need a weight belt so that you can hang the weight from your hips, or hold a dumbell with your feet.

grizfbelt2.jpg

The only time weight training is detremental to a fighter is when it leaves him too fatigued to train specific fighting skills and cardio properly.

There is no doubt in my mind that increased strength is helpful to a fighter, but it is not as important as cardio and fighting skills.

If a fighter can find a way to effectivly increase limit strength without compromising the rest of his training then weight training is very valuable. It is very difficult to find that balance though.

From my personal experience I have missed many training sessions because I squatted the day before and couldnt even walk up the stairs, much less fight.

I think that traditional powerlifting and body building programs are not appropriate for a fighters needs. They require more recovery time than a fighter can spare. Perhaps there is something to a bulgarian style of training for fighters.

What if you trained multiple times a day, 5 or 6 days a week, doing singles and doubles at 80% or higher, but kept the reps and sets low, and never came close to failure? I dont know personally, Ive never tried it, but it just poped into my head. Some of you guys really know your shit and id be interested in what you have to say.

PariahCarey said:
Your quest to find the prime movers and limit them to 12 exercises sounds like exactly waht you are looking for: a limit.

In fighting, science while inclusive of and important is subordinate to style which is defined as content and form aligned.

See, you have to go and ruin a perfectly good post with this bullshit bohemian vanity.

Limiting exercises in weight training is a matter of prioritizing; if you'd like to max out the french presses and kickbacks, be my guest. It's the same principle as limiting techniques in MMA: you know, limiting them to the ones that work. Hwa Rang Do boasts something like 4,000 techniques. I'm sure they probably encompass many of those in Muay Thai and Jujitsu, but it's not the techniques you catalog but those that you prioritize and employ in a fight that matter.

Your last sentence doesn't mean anything- as much as you'd like to think it does.

And for the record, I'm not impressed that you can reference book titles. So can any jackass who strolls by the Barnes and Noble window.

cockysprinter said:
clean and jerk(?)
snatch (?)
bench press
deadlift
back squat
front squat
bent over rows
pullups

i say those eight. i put question marks after overhead lifts, becasue of james smith, but at the minimum the power clean should be used. that leaves you 4-5 slots to choose other exercises.

Why, what did James say about those? You linked his forum in my other thread. Did you talk to him about the overhead lifts here or in some other forum, or was it a sticky/FAQ type document?

i'm currently experimenting with low rep work after class with near max wieght for something like the bear complex but only about 80% max loads with squat, dead, weighted situps, and OHP. I do every exercise listed daily and seams to leave me with enough to train MT the next day every time. But i'm only training wieghts when i have class wich is 4 days out of the week. the other days i dedicate to endurance and explosiveness.

thecreator said:
This is because Pullups and Barbell rows are completely different excercises, i.e they provide resistance from different angles.

This is the precise reason I stated that both variants have benefits not inherent in the other. As such, do not neglect one for the other based on the advantages of each.

thecreator said:
The Barbell equivalent to a pullup would be to hang upside down with gravity boots and lift the bar off the ground to your chest or back of neck.

Despite being a technical equivalence, at best this unrealistic variation is simply an imaginary equivalent given that it can not be reasonably be performed.

thecreator said:
Pullups dont work the traps, they do the lats.

Where did you get that from?

I specified that rows work the traps far more than pull ups.

thecreator said:
You can use as much weight as you want doing pullups, just like on a barbell.

Really?

Do me a favor, and physically test outrageous claims before you make them.

I can barbell row 405 for reps, yet I cannot perform A SINGLE PULL UP with a 165 lb dumbbell hanging from my neck which would total 405 lbs.

thecreator said:
If the weight is equal, and the thickness of the bar is equal, the grip work will be equal.

Given the fact that one can row more weight than one can pull up, the barbell row is superior for grip work.

Also, when was the last time you saw a thick pull up bar you could hang from?

ENTROPY said:
Despite being a technical equivalence, at best this unrealistic variation is simply an imaginary equivalent given that it can not be reasonably be performed.

I know, this is why I initially stated that pullups have no superior.
The closest excercise is the lat pulldown macine, and being a machine it is inferior.

ENTROPY said:
Where did you get that from?

I specified that rows work the traps far more than pull ups.

From Personal experience.

I agree with this

ENTROPY said:
Really?

Do me a favor, and physically test outrageous claims before you make them.

I can barbell row 405 for reps, yet I cannot perform A SINGLE PULL UP with a 165 lb dumbbell hanging from my neck which would total 405 lbs.

I didn't write that you could use equal weight, I wrote that you can use as much weight as you want.

Once again; because they are different excercises, just like most people can flat bench more than they can incline bench.

How do you hang weight from your neck without injuring yourself??

ENTROPY said:
Given the fact that one can row more weight than one can pull up, the barbell row is superior for grip work.

Also, when was the last time you saw a thick pull up bar you could hang from?

Yeah alright, but I train my grip with various grip excercises, because my grip can hold more on a bar than I can row.

I have a thick pull up bar at home, (I made it).

thecreator said:
STFU brownnose

Trust me on this; Foulsmeller is the very last person on this board that I'd accuse of brown nosing!

In support of this, we've had it out on this forum several times over the last couple of years.

He simply calls things as he sees them and if it means stepping on toes, he

ENTROPY said:
Trust me on this; Foulsmeller is the very last person on this board that I'd accuse of brown nosing!

In support of this, we've had it out on this forum several times over the last couple of years.

He simply calls things as he sees them and if it means stepping on toes, he

Fight_Song said:
if fedor did lift heavy, we'd be seeing another nastier Karelin. now that is something to fear-- the cyborg getting an upgrade..

wholly shit

Madmick said:
Why, what did James say about those? You linked his forum in my other thread. Did you talk to him about the overhead lifts here or in some other forum, or was it a sticky/FAQ type document?

hes highly against overhead lifting for most athletes, especially combat athletes because of repeated shoulder joint shock, etc. i personally find dumbell variants less stressful on the shoulder girdle, and maybe someday ill start use barbell overhead lifts. hes stated his opinion repeatedly both on this forum and his own forum.

Mr.Maximal said:
strength/power training in fighting circles is so behind the curve it's laughable.

what possible detriment could more power have to fedors game?

He has more energy to train skill.

He is lifting weights when he trains , his weights are his brother and other training partners.

It is not like your body doesn't get stronger lifting people and only gets stronger lifting barbells.

When he was at a good base from genetics from previous training he seems to have switched over to more training of skills and only maintaining his strength.

groo said:
He has more energy to train skill.

He is lifting weights when he trains , his weights are his brother and other training partners.

It is not like your body doesn't get stronger lifting people and only gets stronger lifting barbells.

When he was at a good base from genetics from previous training he seems to have switched over to more training of skills and only maintaining his strength.

relying on resistance from his training partners is limiting his limit strength potential. sure it works, but it's not ideal for for reaching his potential. it's antiquated training protocol.

certainly there are other mothods to increase strength other than lifting weights, but none are better. however, i wouldn't suggest he spend alot of time in the weight room when preparing for a fight.

Back