fedor

pie`n`mash

White Belt
Reaction score
I have a question about grappling strength, in a recent artcle on Fedor emelienkos site he
states that he believes traditional weight training to be detremental to MMA and that he trains for strength through grappling with his training partners. He also states he trains his conditioning through circular training where equipment is placed in a circle and he moves from one to another, i have heard he uses kettlebells and sledgehammers in his training also. This all seems to go against modern training methods yet he is the best in the world. Can anyone explain?

he's saying big bob sapp muscles make you gas like bob sapp.

mags tell fat people to gain muscle mass because it burns more calories and it does. you dont want this if you're a cut MMA fighter in a fight. it will burn your gas tank down faster.

fighting and grappling strength is a lot about explosion and timing more than anything but if you gain strength, you need to gain the cardio ability so use that muscle for an entire fight or it will only help bury you.

When you are as explosive and agile as fedor is naturally, maybe lifting weights will be detrimental to you as well. For us mortals, nothing beats lifting for increasing limit strength and muscle mass. Kettlebells and sledgehammers are great for increasing speed and strength endurance, but if you aren't that strong in the first place, they won't do much to make you that way. I really don't know enough about what he's doing to have much of an opinion on the matter, but it is obviously working for him. However, he is an incredibly athletic individual, and if you are anything like 99% of the world, you are not.

Well Fedor is one side of the coin, and obviously he is extremely effective. On the other side there are guys like Arona and Kawajiri who obviously lifts weights and use their strength to dominate their oponents whitin their weightclass.

Personaly I dont think there is a "right" way to do it. But there are many "wrong" ways. Like for instance focusing to much on strength training and neglecting skill and endurance. That would be wrong.

pie`n`mash said:
I have a question about grappling strength, in a recent artcle on Fedor emelienkos site he
states that he believes traditional weight training to be detremental to MMA and that he trains for strength through grappling with his training partners. He also states he trains his conditioning through circular training where equipment is placed in a circle and he moves from one to another, i have heard he uses kettlebells and sledgehammers in his training also. This all seems to go against modern training methods yet he is the best in the world. Can anyone explain?

Fedor may be the world

ENTROPY said:
Mike Tyson, Randy Couture, Tito Ortiz, Matt Hughes and countless fighters of various disciplines are avid weight lifters and to suggest they suffered detrimental effects as a result of weight training is laughable at best!

And it's also possible that people against weight lifting actually define "weight lifting" as being more toward the common view, which is isolation and curl heavy routines.

Sean S said:
And it's also possible that people against weight lifting actually define "weight lifting" as being more toward the common view, which is isolation and curl heavy routines.

That's what I'm thinking ... the thread starter said that's what he says about "traditional" weight training, in which can mean a variety of different things to different people...

either way, Fedor pwns!

thecreator said:
Pullups have no superior, if you need more weight use a weight belt, or hold a dumbell with your feet.

Neither is superior out rightly which is why I specified

Sean S said:

I hold the same position.

i think fedors training is better than heavy lifting (for fighting), but weights are not detrimental. seems like he does a lot of plyometrics and speed/endurance based strength training which is probably better for the big guys..

igor is another type of guy that wouldnt really need to lift weights.. he looks gHed up already (naturally)

but yes its true.. silva wouldnt be who he is without weights. cro-cop wouldnt be who he is without weights... i dont imagine them being near as good without the extra muscle packed on

Fedor seems to have such a high natural strengthlevel, that he really doesnt need any heavy lifitng to increase it even more. So he focuses on cardio and muscular endurance. And the only fight you could really see him slow down in my opinion was the one against Cro-Cop. I wouldnt say he gassed. And Cro-Cop, who is also a top athlete in every aspect seemed to be closer to gassing than Fedor.

if fedor did lift heavy, we'd be seeing another nastier Karelin. now that is something to fear-- the cyborg getting an upgrade..

Gordon said:
I am sure I have read fedor used to lift weights in the traditional way, and was actually into it in a big way, but gave it up because he didn't feel it was all that beneficial to what he wanted to achieve and so moved onto whatever program he uses now.

Can't have been that bad a decision, when he said he lifted weight nobody had a clue who he was, quits doing the usual weight thing and becomes one of the best fighters on the planet.

So your saying that he became best in the world because he -doesnt- lift weight?;)

That's the problem with trying to emulate the programs of elite athletes, unless you have their genetics and training background, you're not going to get the same results. The top fighters develop programs that work for them, through trial and error. But I would like to see a match between Arlovski and his Milos-inspired 4x10 rep. protocol, and Fedor with his smash-swing-and-bang things all day long in the snow routine. Can someone set that up please? :)

OpethDrums said:
i think fedors training is better than heavy lifting (for fighting),

That is simply incorrect!

The chosen movements in one's fight training must be justified in terms of providing a specific result. Each and every facet of one

gym strength is not the same as functional fighting strength. for fighting you train in your skill and you will be stronger in that sense.

Back