fedor

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by pie`n`mash, Oct 25, 2005.

1. pie`n`mash

pie`n`mash White Belt

I have a question about grappling strength, in a recent artcle on Fedor emelienkos site he
    states that he believes traditional weight training to be detremental to MMA and that he trains for strength through grappling with his training partners. He also states he trains his conditioning through circular training where equipment is placed in a circle and he moves from one to another, i have heard he uses kettlebells and sledgehammers in his training also. This all seems to go against modern training methods yet he is the best in the world. Can anyone explain?

2. he's saying big bob sapp muscles make you gas like bob sapp.

mags tell fat people to gain muscle mass because it burns more calories and it does. you dont want this if you're a cut MMA fighter in a fight. it will burn your gas tank down faster.

fighting and grappling strength is a lot about explosion and timing more than anything but if you gain strength, you need to gain the cardio ability so use that muscle for an entire fight or it will only help bury you.

3. morganfreeman

morganfreeman Brown Belt

When you are as explosive and agile as fedor is naturally, maybe lifting weights will be detrimental to you as well. For us mortals, nothing beats lifting for increasing limit strength and muscle mass. Kettlebells and sledgehammers are great for increasing speed and strength endurance, but if you aren't that strong in the first place, they won't do much to make you that way. I really don't know enough about what he's doing to have much of an opinion on the matter, but it is obviously working for him. However, he is an incredibly athletic individual, and if you are anything like 99% of the world, you are not.

4. krellik

krellik Gimli son of Cisco

Well Fedor is one side of the coin, and obviously he is extremely effective. On the other side there are guys like Arona and Kawajiri who obviously lifts weights and use their strength to dominate their oponents whitin their weightclass.

Personaly I dont think there is a "right" way to do it. But there are many "wrong" ways. Like for instance focusing to much on strength training and neglecting skill and endurance. That would be wrong.

5. ENTROPY

ENTROPY Purple Belt

Fedor may be the world

6. thecreator

thecreator Blue Belt

7. Sean S

Sean S Brown Belt

And it's also possible that people against weight lifting actually define "weight lifting" as being more toward the common view, which is isolation and curl heavy routines.

8. Diligent

Diligent Blue Belt

That's what I'm thinking ... the thread starter said that's what he says about "traditional" weight training, in which can mean a variety of different things to different people...

either way, Fedor pwns!

9. ENTROPY

ENTROPY Purple Belt

Neither is superior out rightly which is why I specified

10. ENTROPY

ENTROPY Purple Belt

I hold the same position.

11. tokian

tokian Orange Belt

Ive also seen Fedor do sledge-hammer sets.

12. Diligent

Diligent Blue Belt

I really want to try that. Looks like a lot of fun, imo...

13. OpethDrums

OpethDrums Banned Banned

i think fedors training is better than heavy lifting (for fighting), but weights are not detrimental. seems like he does a lot of plyometrics and speed/endurance based strength training which is probably better for the big guys..

igor is another type of guy that wouldnt really need to lift weights.. he looks gHed up already (naturally)

but yes its true.. silva wouldnt be who he is without weights. cro-cop wouldnt be who he is without weights... i dont imagine them being near as good without the extra muscle packed on

14. graedy

graedy Brown Belt

Fedor seems to have such a high natural strengthlevel, that he really doesnt need any heavy lifitng to increase it even more. So he focuses on cardio and muscular endurance. And the only fight you could really see him slow down in my opinion was the one against Cro-Cop. I wouldnt say he gassed. And Cro-Cop, who is also a top athlete in every aspect seemed to be closer to gassing than Fedor.

15. if fedor did lift heavy, we'd be seeing another nastier Karelin. now that is something to fear-- the cyborg getting an upgrade..

16. krellik

krellik Gimli son of Cisco

So your saying that he became best in the world because he -doesnt- lift weight?;)

17. my big toe

my big toe Yellow Belt

That's the problem with trying to emulate the programs of elite athletes, unless you have their genetics and training background, you're not going to get the same results. The top fighters develop programs that work for them, through trial and error. But I would like to see a match between Arlovski and his Milos-inspired 4x10 rep. protocol, and Fedor with his smash-swing-and-bang things all day long in the snow routine. Can someone set that up please? :)

18. ENTROPY

ENTROPY Purple Belt

That is simply incorrect!

The chosen movements in one's fight training must be justified in terms of providing a specific result. Each and every facet of one

19. Sagat

Sagat TIGER UPPERCUT

gym strength is not the same as functional fighting strength. for fighting you train in your skill and you will be stronger in that sense.

20. HULKAMANIA

HULKAMANIA Blue Belt

You don't make sense.