Fedor vs CroCop. Fedor's team share their memories.

This was an awesome read. Thanks for sharing TS. Didn't know half of this stuff. So Sponge prepared Fedor. That's awesome as fuck. Will save this for future re-reads. This is exactly why Fedor is considered to be the greatest heavyweight. He didn't just beat his opponents, he beat them at their own game. Mauls Nog in his sweet spot, the guard and outstrikes the best HW striker at the time in Cro Cop.

Just a question, is this the entire translated article or just parts of it? It seems a bit lenghtier in the original link. Also, another question for anyone that could answer me. Why did they pick Spong? Wasn't he a mw at the time?

They picked him because he's 6'2", a good kickboxer, and has a good high kick. Check the link I posted above for some footage of Spong doing some light sparring with Fedor in the arena before the fight. Really cool stuff.

Last edited:
From the first post, the best quote is
"Guys, he hits, they fall. What else do you want?"

This is why we will never see PRIDE Fedor. Not only he is older now, but the way he used to train would be way too much for him now.

This is one of the all time great reads in sherdog history.

One of they key differences between fedor and cc: when cc threw a leg kick full force and fedor blocked it, cc winced heavily in pain yet fedor's face stayed the same.

This is one of the all time great reads in sherdog history.

One of they key differences between fedor and cc: when cc threw a leg kick full force and fedor blocked it, cc winced heavily in pain yet fedor's face stayed the same.

I still remember being completely wowed by that check. It happened at the very start of the fight, and was incredibly quick. I thought "Shit Fedor must have been training his ass off"

I still remember being completely wowed by that check. It happened at the very start of the fight, and was incredibly quick. I thought "Shit Fedor must have been training his ass off"

That was my favorite moment in the entire fight. Holy reflexes!

excellent, excellent read, thanks for sharing and war fedor.

i hope this is illuminating for the newer fans. newer fans and people saw cro cop in the ufc and kind of thought "m'eh". what they dont realize is that crocop was one, if not the, most feared strikers in mma for years and years.

the tentative crocop that showed up in the ufc would have been koed by the old crocop within minutes.

i recall seeing the fight and didnt know much of fedors background, but followed crocops for a time and i could not believe that this doughy, baldingish, plain faced russian was putting pressure on crocop and winning the fight.

Lol at the comments about his facial expressions. "Same as ever, same as ever".

excellent, excellent read, thanks for sharing and war fedor.

i hope this is illuminating for the newer fans. newer fans and people saw cro cop in the ufc and kind of thought "m'eh". what they dont realize is that crocop was one, if not the, most feared strikers in mma for years and years.

the tentative crocop that showed up in the ufc would have been koed by the old crocop within minutes.

i recall seeing the fight and didnt know much of fedors background, but followed crocops for a time and i could not believe that this doughy, baldingish, plain faced russian was putting pressure on crocop and winning the fight.

:confused:How the hell did you follow Crocop back then and not know about Fedor????

And thanks TS, rewatched the fight again... PRIDE is the best

What a fantastic read. THANK YOU!!!!

Sometimes Sherdog delivers.

One of the better threads in recent memory, thanks ts.

Monumental fight.

Bookmarked for completion later. Thanks for the share, TS!

:confused:How the hell did you follow Crocop back then and not know about Fedor????

And thanks TS, rewatched the fight again... PRIDE is the best

well...

my budddy had satelite and had access to all teh fights. my buddy became my roomate and i saw a fight (Cant recall which event) that showcased crocop, and teh commentators (could have been bas, i cant recall) was touting crocop as the big thing--not the next big thing, then i began googling him and had learned some things about the croation equivalent of a swat team captain.

dont get me wrong, fedor was on the scene, i just didnt know as much as i clearly ought to have at that time.

hope this clears it up--cheers

I can't recall many fights that were as highly anticipated as this one. It was a real clash of the titans.

Fedor is the greatest, it blows my mind that so many people on here disrespect such a legend. You don't see boxing fans disrespecting Roberto Duran or Sugar Ray Robinson.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back