Fedor is 38 years old...

Also, speed is the first thing that goes. At his size without having that speed advantage or ability to take punishment like he one could, I don't see much success. Though, if there's one MMA fighter that could always do the impossible it was Fedor.
He was fighting 800lb Giants who were too big to tie their own shoes...

MMA fans are in capable of differentiating between numerical age & ring age.

Yeah, but that doesn't really help in Fedor's case, since he's at least as ring-old as he is actual old. His losing streak (and honestly, even the Rogers and Arlovski fights were the beginning of the slide) showed he was slowing down and that his fighting style wasn't enough anymore against top-level competition.

Don't call it a comeback. He's been here for years.

But Fedor getting time off to heal mentally and physically is important. If Fedor is coming back it's because he is hungry and wants Gold. Motivated Fedor is scary.

Yea, not likely. I wish he would not do this. He is more than likely to take some beatings. Think about this, GSP has a way higher chance for success at a comeback and he won't even do it at age 33. Fedor needs to stay retired but I guess that isn't happening.

What do you think people will say after he gets smashed a couple times? "Well, he's old."

I don't need to see him fight to tell you right now, He's old, its over, has been for a while.

Also, speed is the first thing that goes. At his size without having that speed advantage or ability to take punishment like he one could, I don't see much success. Though, if there's one MMA fighter that could always do the impossible it was Fedor.

Will still be faster than other HWs

Yea, not likely. I wish he would not do this. He is more than likely to take some beatings. Think about this, GSP has a way higher chance for success at a comeback and he won't even do it at age 33. Fedor needs to stay retired but I guess that isn't happening.

What do you think people will say after he gets smashed a couple times? "Well, he's old."

I don't need to see him fight to tell you right now, He's old, its over, has been for a while.

So how cool is it living with Fedor?

I understand your point and respect it. Your right, Fedor is better off staying retired and his legacy could take a serious hit. People will not have mercy if he loses in the UFC. They will say "See he lost when he fought in the best organization" , i can already see it.
But i guess what i'm hoping for is, Fedor is healed and rested. He must be motivated if he is coming back, and looking at the heavyweight division he might be able to make a little run. But his first fight in the Octagon will be a huge measuring stick to see where he is at. I wish he'd come back and fight like Meathead or Struve to gauge where he's at ,but knowing him he'll want to jump right into a top 5 fight.

And also the GSP situation is much different imo. GSP could still be the champion right now if he came back. Lawler is not stopping the double leg. GSP retired more because of mental reasons imo. He couldn't take the pressure of people leaning on him because he can't finish fights. I really think that is really why he left and also because of the TRT/PED's situation. I think it really hurt GSP mentally that people were criticizing his performances ,which were dominate for the most part.

He will be 39 at his return.

We must keep our expectations in check, but we can hope.

I understand your point and respect it. Your right, Fedor is better off staying retired and his legacy could take a serious hit. People will not have mercy if he loses in the UFC. They will say "See he lost when he fought in the best organization" , i can already see it.
But i guess what i'm hoping for is, Fedor is healed and rested. He must be motivated if he is coming back, and looking at the heavyweight division he might be able to make a little run. But his first fight in the Octagon will be a huge measuring stick to see where he is at. I wish he'd come back and fight like Meathead or Struve to gauge where he's at ,but knowing him he'll want to jump right into a top 5 fight.

I'm not even shitting on Fedor, he is one of the all time greats, which is why I want him to never return. I also don't want to see GSP return and Anderson has already stayed too long. Its just that I have been watching sports for a long ass time and when athletes come out of retirement its often an ugly thing to watch.

I don't want to see diminished Fedor which pretty much is going to happen, he is about to turn 39 years old.

And also the GSP situation is much different imo. GSP could still be the champion right now if he came back. Lawler is not stopping the double leg. GSP retired more because of mental reasons imo. He couldn't take the pressure of people leaning on him because he can't finish fights. I really think that is really why he left and also because of the TRT/PED's situation. I think it really hurt GSP mentally that people were criticizing his performances ,which were dominate for the most part.

You might be right, its difficult to factor everything into the equation. He said he wanted more drug testing, he said the training was wearing him down, his knees were going bad, people were pressuring him about finishes, and he had missing time.

He did it right though, 25-2 and left as champ. Don't come back Georges, let your career stand for what it is.

Imagine if he was something like 4 years old. He would be too young. 38 years old Fedor would murder 4 years old Fedor.

I'm not even shitting on Fedor, he is one of the all time greats, which is why I want him to never return. I also don't want to see GSP return and Anderson has already stayed too long. Its just that I have been watching sports for a long ass time and when athletes come out of retirement its often an ugly thing to watch.

I don't want to see diminished Fedor which pretty much is going to happen, he is about to turn 39 years old.

We are in the same boat. And your right "comebacks" don't really ever work out like the fans hope. I am just praying that "rested/motivated" Fedor will make a run threw in the UFC's heavyweight division. Also fun stat Ali came out of retirement at 38 , but was only retired for one year and lost two fights in a row via TKO i believe.

You might be right, its difficult to factor everything into the equation. He said he wanted more drug testing, he said the training was wearing him down, his knees were going bad, people were pressuring him about finishes, and he had missing time.

He did it right though, 25-2 and left as champ. Don't come back Georges, let your career stand for what it is.

I forgot about GSP knee as well. That was probably a major factor as well.

Back