Fallout 4 is the most brutal unforgiving game ever made

I loved the game. I put 412 hours into it. I really like the settlement building as well. I have some YouTube videos of the massive settlements I've built.

Yeah, the settlement saving thing for Preston was annoying, but it wasn't a deal breaker for me.

What is the point of settlements? I built Sanctuary Hills up to be sprawling as hell. I put mods related to the settlement improvement, and have like 40 people in my settlement, laser/shotgun and machine turrets, etc. We've gotten attacked by a few raiders here and there, nothing more.

Just wondering if there's more to it.

I must say, though. I put maybe 200 mods into this game. Tons of weapons, extra clothing, armor mods, and lots to increase the difficulty of survival mode and radiation. It's really cool like this. The game still has glaring problems, but as long as Fallout gives me the "Shit, I want that scoped SCAR-H, but it's like 2000 credits!!" moments, I'm cool.

What is the point of settlements? I built Sanctuary Hills up to be sprawling as hell. I put mods related to the settlement improvement, and have like 40 people in my settlement, laser/shotgun and machine turrets, etc. We've gotten attacked by a few raiders here and there, nothing more.

I must say, though. I put maybe 200 mods into this game. Tons of weapons, extra clothing, armor mods, and lots to increase the difficulty of survival mode and radiation. It's really cool like this. The game still has glaring problems, but as long as Fallout gives me the "Shit, I want that scoped SCAR-H, but it's like 2000 credits!!" moments, I'm cool.
The best part to settlements is setting up markets.. and invest heavily in them. You make a lot of caps from them.

Link to your YT vids?

The Coop settlement had a lot more work done to it once mods came out. Vault 88 was upgraded a bit since I made that video.

Hangman's is probably my favorite one though.

I didn’t think it was that bad. I still thought it was fun. I didn’t care for the settlement stuff, but I liked how the game didn’t force you to really have to invest a ton of time with them. You could basically ignore them and just go about the game.

If the game is kicking your ass that bad kid can’t you just adjust the difficulty setting mid game?

I think everyone is misunderstanding the OP. He's not saying brutal in the sense it's difficult, but rather that it's brutal on the senses. Dogs dying, things you love perishing brutally, etc.

What did you think of the Far Harbor story? I'm in shock... It's so damn good. As good as *anything* from Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout 1-3, etc. Searching for the girl is great, but I was loving the Hotel Murder Mystery bit the most.

No this is the most brutal, unforgiving game:
26866-super-mario-all-stars-snes-screenshot-and-lost-levels-which.jpg

What did you think of the Far Harbor story? I'm in shock... It's so damn good. As good as *anything* from Skyrim, Oblivion, Fallout 1-3, etc. Searching for the girl is great, but I was loving the Hotel Murder Mystery bit the most.

I don't think I've touched any dlc yet. About to though.

I don't think I've touched any dlc yet. About to though.

Ohhh, nice! Very excited to hear what you think for better or worse.

Play it on Survival, I've migrated all my saves to that difficulty. Woo. It's fun. I was wrong about the permadeath, it doesn't completely kill your character, just reverts to the last time you saved (which can only be in beds).

It makes roaming the world very, very Dark Souls'eque in the sense that beds now represent campfires, and unless saved, all your progress will vanish. It's even more hardcore than DS in some respects as you don't drop your experience in death, it just goes away forever.

It makes roaming the world very, very Dark Souls'eque in the sense that beds now represent campfires, and unless saved, all your progress will vanish. It's even more hardcore than DS in some respects as you don't drop your experience in death, it just goes away forever.
you can't compare losing your souls in DS just to losing xp in fo4. souls are everything in DS not just xp you die without recollecting them they are gone it's nowhere near the same maybe if bottle caps where like souls but they're not. I never flipped out from getting killed in fallout now getting invaded by some cunt after already been killed by a boss and losing 200k souls because some douche wanted to do PvP is a different story.

you can't compare losing your souls in DS just to losing xp in fo4.

Sure you can! They are almost identical mechanics.

You don't get to keep the experience you've gained until you return to the campfire and spend it in Dark Souls, or in Fallout 4, until you return to the bed and spend the night (but you can level while out in the field, however it's reversed upon death, much like FFXI).

Alternately? It's a little more brutal in Fallout 4 than it is in Demon Souls / Dark Souls / Bloodborne as those titles give you the chance to regain that time invested, and experience lost. Whereas if you die in Fallout 4 after a couple hours of adventuring? It's permagone, no questions asked. The end.

There is also no fast travel to zip you back to a campfire, if you venture out? You have to get your ass all the way back.

souls are everything in DS not just xp

Not really... It's just exp. Sure you can buy some materials and stuff with it, but all of those are cheap, and pale to compare to the 100-150k experience costs of leveling post 70, etc.

you die without recollecting them they are gone

....That's the point. You *get* a chance to recollect them. In Fallout 4 you don't.

it's nowhere near the same

True, it's much worse in Fallout 4.

maybe if bottle caps where like souls but they're not.

Ugh... That's exactly what happens. Any experience, weapons, bottle caps, materials, progress, building, recruiting, quests you've finished are RESET back to zero / unfinished if you die.

No chance to get any of it back at all. Zip. Gone forever.

You don't lose the materials you had spent / saved up before, much like you don't lose progress you've already invested in Dark Souls.

I never flipped out from getting killed in fallout

Yeah well, maybe you should play some Fallout 4 again... This time on Survival.

now getting invaded by some cunt after already been killed by a boss and losing 200k souls because some douche wanted to do PvP is a different story.

And you STILL get to get them back after he kills you.

In Fallout 4 the progress is gone forever.

Sure you can! They are almost identical mechanics.

You don't get to keep the experience you've gained until you return to the campfire and spend it in Dark Souls, or in Fallout 4, until you return to the bed and spend the night (but you can level while out in the field, however it's reversed upon death, much like FFXI).

Alternately? It's a little more brutal in Fallout 4 than it is in Demon Souls / Dark Souls / Bloodborne as those titles give you the chance to regain that time invested, and experience lost. Whereas if you die in Fallout 4 after a couple hours of adventuring? It's permagone, no questions asked. The end.

There is also no fast travel to zip you back to a campfire, if you venture out? You have to get your ass all the way back.

Not really... It's just exp. Sure you can buy some materials and stuff with it, but all of those are cheap, and pale to compare to the 100-150k experience costs of leveling post 70, etc.

....That's the point. You *get* a chance to recollect them. In Fallout 4 you don't.

True, it's much worse in Fallout 4.

Ugh... That's exactly what happens. Any experience, weapons, bottle caps, materials, progress, building, recruiting, quests you've finished are RESET back to zero / unfinished if you die.

No chance to get any of it back at all. Zip. Gone forever.

You don't lose the materials you had spent / saved up before, much like you don't lose progress you've already invested in Dark Souls.

Yeah well, maybe you should play some Fallout 4 again... This time on Survival.

And you STILL get to get them back after he kills you.

In Fallout 4 the progress is gone forever.
fallout is nowhere near as brutal as dying in DS how much souls it take to get to the point of diminishing returns where you get to the point you're farming souls with bonfire ascetics because it takes 50k+ souls to gain a lvl. there is beds all over in fallout not just two - three bonfires hidden per lvl where if you use them all the enemies respawn. In fallout you clear an area sleep and everything is saved and what's dead stays dead. If FO4 is hard it's because the player makes it harder then it should be.

It's definitely not more brutal and unforgiving than Super Mario Brothers: The Lost Levels. What a fuckin joke.

Ohhh, nice! Very excited to hear what you think for better or worse.

Play it on Survival, I've migrated all my saves to that difficulty. Woo. It's fun. I was wrong about the permadeath, it doesn't completely kill your character, just reverts to the last time you saved (which can only be in beds).

On survival with increased radiation penalties, a crippled limb mod, and a couple others. Gotdamn. I'm near an explosion, I'm screwed. Eesh. But I bought an automatic AK4M, a Glock18 and a SCAR-H. That's Fallout to me. Saving for weapons, then wrecking with them.

fallout is nowhere near as brutal as dying in DS how much souls it take to get to the point of diminishing returns where you get to the point you're farming souls with bonfire ascetics because it takes 50k+ souls to gain a lvl. there is beds all over in fallout not just two - three bonfires hidden per lvl where if you use them all the enemies respawn. In fallout you clear an area sleep and everything is saved and what's dead stays dead. If FO4 is hard it's because the player makes it harder then it should be.

Nah, it's hard because it's unpredictable, and even the enemy patterns can't be memorized completely. That combined with beds being owned, enemies near by, etc.

I have thousands of hours in the Souls series, I know for a fact you're wrong. Not going to waste anymore time battling opinions.

Nah, it's hard because it's unpredictable, and even the enemy patterns can't be memorized completely. That combined with beds being owned, enemies near by, etc.

I have thousands of hours in the Souls series, I know for a fact you're wrong. Not going to waste anymore time battling opinions.

Enemy simply have three patterns, its not hard to figure out.

1. Stand still and shoot while cursing you.
2. Retreat to some form of cover shooting while cursing you.
3. Run towards you shooting while cursing you.

If you have difficulty with Fallout 4 I don't know what you're doing wrong.

Enemy simply have three patterns, its not hard to figure out

Sigh.

I'm talking about their placements on the world map, and how certain enemies roam / respawn in irregular areas.

As in you can't memorize exactly where people are like you can in Dark Souls.

If you have difficulty with Fallout 4 I don't know what you're doing wrong.

Let us know when you try Survival dip shit.

Last edited:
I loved the murder mystery in the hotel with the robots. Far Harbour showed us that Bethesda can deliver a great role playing experience still, they just got off track a bit in the base game for Fallout 4. I still love this game though, put a couple of thousand hours into it, mainly settlement building. They really mastered gunplay, so I can't wait to see how they incorporate that, and whatever else they learn/develop for the next FO game, with better roleplaying elements. I'm sure we'll get Elder Scroll 6 before that, and a brand new/retooled engine, which is much needed

I loved the murder mystery in the hotel with the robots. Far Harbour showed us that Bethesda can deliver a great role playing experience still, they just got off track a bit in the base game for Fallout 4. I still love this game though, put a couple of thousand hours into it, mainly settlement building. They really mastered gunplay, so I can't wait to see how they incorporate that, and whatever else they learn/develop for the next FO game, with better roleplaying elements. I'm sure we'll get Elder Scroll 6 before that, and a brand new/retooled engine, which is much needed

The Far Harbour DLC was one of my favorites honestly. I loved everything about it. Wayyy better than Nuka World.

Back