Fallout 4 is the most brutal unforgiving game ever made

Maybe one day. Just picked up NiOh and this other RPG called Toukiden Kiwami and with a relatively newborn and studying for certs I may be able to get to it sometime in 2020.
Hahahah. I hear you.

I went 10 months without touching a game after our twins were born.

Shitty thing now is even though they nap well in the afternoon, we also have a 3 year old who doesn’t nap anymore.

Late night and early morning are the only chances I get to game now.

The Fallout games started as top down turned based games....and ultimately failed. All games chance and the Fallout series is not different. After playing Fallout 3 and seeing the trailers for 4 if you went into the game expecting a hardcore RPG, that is on you.

{<huh}

The Fallout games started as top down turned based games....and ultimately failed. All games chance and the Fallout series is not different. After playing Fallout 3 and seeing the trailers for 4 if you went into the game expecting a hardcore RPG, that is on you.

Cults, like the Children of Atom? Ghost Towns like Quincy?

Choice is part of an RPG, don't like a mission don't do it. If you are complaining about the game not being an RPG but playing through to complete as many missions as possible you are not role playing.

You only rise to the top of one faction in the game, the minutemen. You do have a point about being the general and still having to do the leg work, but the other faction you don't get to lead.

The early Fallout games did not fail. They were critically successful, and benchmarks for the genre and computer gaming as a whole.

Yeah, factions unlike the Children of Atom, who are another shoot you on sight group in that game.

Having shitty quests that people won't do is not the choice people like in rpgs. We like choice within the quests themselves. "You don't have to play the shitty fetch quests" Is not a favorable attribute for the game.

Your last point reinforces mine. The game was so lazily made, even when you're the leader, nothing happens, as your guy is still treated like a grunt by having to do the petty minutemen work, and is still addressed normally.

The early Fallout games did not fail. They were critically successful, and benchmarks for the genre and computer gaming as a whole.

Yeah, factions unlike the Children of Atom, who are another shoot you on sight group in that game.

Having shitty quests that people won't do is not the choice people like in rpgs. We like choice within the quests themselves. "You don't have to play the shitty fetch quests" Is not a favorable attribute for the game.

Your last point reinforces mine. The game was so lazily made, even when you're the leader, nothing happens, as your guy is still treated like a grunt by having to do the petty minutemen work, and is still addressed normally.

Yeah, little feeling of reward in this game. Compared that to the likes of oblivion, where for example once you complete the thieves guild you’re given the grey cowl of nocturn, which is the goat RPG item.

Last edited:

Yet those sales could not save Interplay. As for them being benchmarks, Fallout 3 sold more copies then Fallout and Fallout 2 combined.

Well, unless you are in the Glowing Sea, or in Far Harbor....were you can join them.

Not doing a quest is a choice, regardless if you like it or not. You don't get penalized for not doing those quests, and you get plenty of choices in the main quests.

You get addressed as "General", and no one orders you to do anything. You can choose to help the settlements or not. Of course you also get to call in artillery strikes and Minutemen backup.

Yet those sales could not save Interplay. As for them being benchmarks, Fallout 3 sold more copies then Fallout and Fallout 2 combined.

Game was a commercial success, got great reviews, and won a bunch of rewards. Fallout 3 selling more doesn't invalidate that. Game was no where near being a failure.

Well, unless you are in the Glowing Sea, or in Far Harbor....were you can join them.

Not doing a quest is a choice, regardless if you like it or not. You don't get penalized for not doing those quests, and you get plenty of choices in the main quests.

You get addressed as "General", and no one orders you to do anything. You can choose to help the settlements or not. Of course you also get to call in artillery strikes and Minutemen backup.

When people talk about choice, nobody is talking about the ability to not do sidequests. We're talking about choice within the structure of the quests themselves. An aspect of previous Fallout games that has been largely neutered and made uninteresting by the removal of good writing and skill based checks.

Cool, I get to be the general, of a boring as fuck group who gave me countless uninspired fetch quests and shittily written, absurd "Story".

Being able to join two shitty factions, for no reward or meaningful conclusion of any kind is not the problem. It's a symptom of Bethesda's resting on their laurels for years at this point. They focused so much on the shooting, they made it a shooter. Instead of handcrafting a world to have interesting scenarios, mysteries, funny, odd and chilling shit, they gave us a ton of awesome shooting galleries.

This is how much they cared: They gave you a minigun and a suit of power armor within the first 30 minutes. Any pretense of them using their whole ass in development died with that deathclaw.

Fallout 4 is the most brutal unforgiving game ever made. Im just walking through the forest with my dog and out of nowhere i get attacked by 3 Boatflies. Between myself and my trusty dog we killed all 3 then out of nowhere 3 ghouls (aka zombies) ran out of nowhere and my dog was able to kill 2 of them while i was running like a bitch and then ....well......i stood on top of a car......puppy didnt make it.
That's not how you spell dark souls

When people talk about choice, nobody is talking about the ability to not do sidequests. We're talking about choice within the structure of the quests themselves. An aspect of previous Fallout games that has been largely neutered and made uninteresting by the removal of good writing and skill based checks

Fallout 4 has some of the best questing out of any Bethesda game, and the only better questline I can think of is Dark Brotherhood from Oblivion.

Fallout 4's writing is fucking *incredible*, and Cogsworth alone is worth high marks. I'm rebeating it as we speak, just put 20 hours into over the weekend. I'm taking my time, letting everyone talk and finish, etc. The writing is so Goddamn good, and after spending 70+ hours in Skyrim over the last month? It's such a refreshing switch up. The voice actors are amazing, the conversations are deep, etc. The story is fantastic, and really draws you in. But most importantly? The Elder Scrolls / Fallout games are *never* about a single story / pathway, they are about a sandbox that allows you to experiment, and play your own way, while making up your own story.

Being able to join two shitty factions, for no reward or meaningful conclusion of any kind is not the problem. It's a symptom of Bethesda's resting on their laurels for years at this point.

Oh wow.... This just got awkward. I think our friend just got exposed as a liar who didn't play Fallout 4, or if he did, he blazed through it, set it down and never gave it another look.

...Two shitty factions? Oh goodness. :eek:

Did you not even play the game?

This is how much they cared: They gave you a minigun and a suit of power armor within the first 30 minutes. Any pretense of them using their whole ass in development died with that deathclaw.

I fucking knew it. God, you people are so predictable it's hilarious. You are repeating (and kind of what I insinuated above) videos on youtube that talk shit about Fallout 4, and you have *no* idea what you're talking about.

You can get the Power Armor in Fallout 3 very early as well. How could you not know this?

You can rush to Lost Hills in Fallout and grab Power Armor. How did you not know this?

You can rush to the Military Base in Fallout 2 and grab the Power Armor. How did you not know this?

Secondly? The Power Armor has a build to it. Who gives a fuck if you get it 30 mins in the game, if you are playing a stealth / melee build, or sniper build? <45>

I mean, come'on man.

Last edited:

"Talking about why a game is good, is far less interesting than talking about why it sucks, and even your brain is programmed to pick up / reserve negativity."

Pretty much explains 99% of the hate in this thread.

Fallout 4 has some of the best questing out of any Bethesda game, and the only better questline I can think of is Dark Brotherhood from Oblivion.

Fallout 4's writing is fucking *incredible*, and Cogsworth alone is worth high marks. I'm rebeating it as we speak, just put 20 hours into over the weekend. I'm taking my time, letting everyone talk and finish, etc. The writing is so Goddamn good, and after spending 70+ hours in Skyrim over the last month? It's such a refreshing switch up. The voice actors are amazing, the conversations are deep, etc. The story is fantastic, and really draws you in. But most importantly? The Elder Scrolls / Fallout games are *never* about a single story / pathway, they are about a sandbox that allows you to experiment, and play your own way, while making up your own story.

Oh wow.... This just got awkward. I think our friend just got exposed as a liar who didn't play Fallout 4, or if he did, he blazed through it, set it down and never gave it another look.

...Two shitty factions? Oh goodness. :eek:

Did you not even play the game?

I fucking knew it. God, you people are so predictable it's hilarious. You are repeating (and kind of what I insinuated above) videos on youtube that talk shit about Fallout 4, and you have *no* idea what you're talking about.

You can get the Power Armor in Fallout 3 very early as well. How could you not know this?

You can rush to Lost Hills in Fallout and grab Power Armor. How did you not know this?

You can rush to the Military Base in Fallout 2 and grab the Power Armor. How did you not know this?

Secondly? The Power Armor has a build to it. Who gives a fuck if you get it 30 mins in the game, if you are playing a stealth / melee build, or sniper build? <45>

I mean, come'on man.

I guess 90 hours isn't enough to judge a Fallout game now.

The story was obvious as fuck, and had gaping holes.

The rpg elements were stripped to being nearly non existent.

The entire system of skill checks in dialogue was torn away

98% of the settlements are either jackasses sitting doing nothing, or jackasses that are immediately hostile.

The world lacks much of the random shit that gave the world personality. Yes, there is a good deal, but nowhere near the level of weird, haunting, funny shit in NV, FO3 or other Bethesda titles.

It was riddled with bugs for way too long.

But it's cute, how you don't seem to know the difference between a game allowing you to find a powerful piece of armor early, and the game literally handing you that armor and a minigun to rail down one of the most fearsome enemies in the series 30 minutes in.

But hey, I guess some youtuber made this critique, so it's invalid.

I guess 90 hours isn't enough to judge a Fallout game now

Sure.

The story was obvious as fuck, and had gaping holes.

So was Fallout 1-3, and every Elder Scrolls game? Super obvious, very on the nose, and often *very* short main stories that give way to a bigger / more diverse world of quests after (or before).

The rpg elements were stripped to being nearly non existent.

Absolutely not true.

The entire system of skill checks in dialogue was torn away

Wrong. It was only fully implemented in *one* Fallout game, that being Fallout: New Vegas. That said? It's not completely removed from Fallout 4, it's just a charisma factor now, whereas your experience in explosives don't pertain as it did in New Vegas.

Are you still quoting shitty YouTube videos at me?

98% of the settlements are either jackasses sitting doing nothing, or jackasses that are immediately hostile

Compared to... What?

I honestly don't even know why I'm bothering doing this. This is such a waste of time, you have no idea what you're talking about, come off as jaded as fuck, etc.

The world lacks much of the random shit that gave the world personality. Yes, there is a good deal, but nowhere near the level of weird, haunting, funny shit in NV, FO3 or other Bethesda titles

Completely disagree.

It was riddled with bugs for way too long.

Welcome to a Bethesda product Sherlock.

But it's cute, how you don't seem to know the difference between a game allowing you to find a powerful piece of armor early, and the game literally handing you that armor and a minigun to rail down one of the most fearsome enemies in the series 30 minutes in

Man, you can lead a horse to water...

You already failed at this, and you want to do it again?

You can get Power Armor + Minigun / Nuke / Missle Launcher in any Fallout game in under an hour. You are so stupid it hurts.

Keep on doing you man, it's a shitty look, but I don't want to change your style.

Sure.

So was Fallout 1-3, and every Elder Scrolls game? Super obvious, very on the nose, and often *very* short main stories that give way to a bigger / more diverse world of quests after (or before).

Absolutely not true.

Wrong. It was only fully implemented in *one* Fallout game, that being Fallout: New Vegas. That said? It's not completely removed from Fallout 4, it's just a charisma factor now, whereas your experience in explosives don't pertain as it did in New Vegas.

Are you still quoting shitty YouTube videos at me?

Compared to... What?

I honestly don't even know why I'm bothering doing this. This is such a waste of time, you have no idea what you're talking about, come off as jaded as fuck, etc.

Completely disagree.

Welcome to a Bethesda product Sherlock.

Man, you can lead a horse to water...

You already failed at this, and you want to do it again?

You can get Power Armor + Minigun / Nuke / Missle Launcher in any Fallout game in under an hour. You are so stupid it hurts.

Keep on doing you man, it's a shitty look, but I don't want to change your style.

Yeah, Bethesda games don't have great stories. That's not a good point in F04's tally.

Where is all the rpg stuff? Merely giving you a perk point, or letting you increase 1 attribute point when you level up is shallow as shit.

Previous FO and ES games had a diversity in settlements and encounters you could find. FO4 is a series of shooting galleries for the vast majority of your time.

The skill checks in New Vegas were lauded for adding a lot of depth, and were not used in 4. That sucks, and there is no way around it.

And once again, there is quite a difference between allowing you to do something, and thrusting it upon you within 30 mins, and directing you to rip apart one of the hardest enemies in the game with ease.

Bethesda games being lazily developed, at this point, is not some point for FO4. It's odd you keep using the "Dude, it's Bethesda!" defense. It reeks of the blind fanboy allegiance that makes sure they'll pump out mediocre shit like FO4 in the future.

You may call it jaded, but I have limited time, and used to love how much effort Bethesda put into their games. I LOVED Morrowind, Oblivion, FO1, 2, 3 and New Vegas. I started to notice a lack of evolution in Skyrim, and Fallout took it to another level.

Oh, and fuck pointless crafting, and fuck lame generic Codsworth.

Yeah I agree skill checks in FO4 would be better, of course. I had a character that looked identical to Steven Seagal in Oblivion, hundreds of hours with that guy I won't forget, and I've never put that into a single character in Skyrim / Fallout 4. So I understand but at the same time there is sooooo much that goes unpraised in FO4.

I think it's the medium as well as being jaded, and I wouldn't be playing through Fallout 4 again if it wasn't for the experience being in virtual reality. Which if you ever get a chance to play? Try it out, it'll make you love FO4 / Skyrim like you never imagined. You care about the characters more, small details are *huge* in VR, and everything just feels larger and with more consequence.

I rarely ever used the power armour. I liked to collect them and line them up at my house though.

I rarely ever used the power armour. I liked to collect them and line them up at my house though.
Did you have a boxingscene account of the same name Sonny? (sometime in the last 15 years)

Fallout 4 is the most brutal unforgiving game ever made. Im just walking through the forest with my dog and out of nowhere i get attacked by 3 Boatflies. Between myself and my trusty dog we killed all 3 then out of nowhere 3 ghouls (aka zombies) ran out of nowhere and my dog was able to kill 2 of them while i was running like a bitch and then ....well......i stood on top of a car......puppy didnt make it.
Dark Souls, Nioh, Demon Souls, Bloodborne are much much more unforgiving.

Back