Gavilan
Napoles
Hearns
Griffith
Rodriguez
Britton
Mickey
Armstrong

Hes like a top 15, top 20 level WW. The top 5 is set in stone BTW. Anyone that has a top 5 different than SRR, SRL, Gavilan, Napoles and Hearns is flatout wrong.

Not sheriff trolling.......he doesnt even sniff top 10

SRR
SRL
Gavilan
Napoles
Hearns
Griffith
Rodriguez
Britton
Mickey
Armstrong

Hes like a top 15, top 20 level WW. The top 5 is set in stone BTW. Anyone that has a top 5 different than SRR, SRL, Gavilan, Napoles and Hearns is flatout wrong.

Who does hearns have at WW that is that much better than Tito. Duran? A LW who moved up?

Look at the resumes of some of these guys. Are they really much better than Tito. Do they have a better undefeated record at WW. Do they even have a better finish record than Tito?

I am not wrong.

Are you saying with a straight face that you think henry Armstrong would beat Tito ?

You have to go by reality. Not if this guy could have today’s standards or this or that. Just what is. Trinidad would slaughter henry. And that shouldn’t be a controversial. Opinion.

You’re taking a 5’5 featherweight over Trinidad?

i sell my house my bank account and put it all on Tito. Especially with say a bert sugars odds
Well, the "reality" is that they exist in two different eras, so all we can really do is speculate. But Armstrong was insanely successful at welterweight. Tito would be bigger and more powerful, but I definitely wouldn't see him "slaughtering" Henry. Armstrong is clearly the superior inside fighter between the two and Tito Trinidad isn't the best at dictating range against people at Armstrong's skill level. Tito's size would definitely help him, as would his power, but those are just two factors among many.

Not sheriff trolling.......he doesnt even sniff top 10

SRR
SRL
Gavilan
Napoles
Hearns
Griffith
Rodriguez
Britton
Mickey
Armstrong

Yeah, I don't necessarily think that Tito beats Napoles. Look at Napoles versus Monzon. This isn't to crap on Tito. I just don't think he's close to the greatest welterweight of all-time. I also think if Whittaker caught him a little earlier he would have outboxed him pretty decisively. His win over Whittaker was great, but it was a broken down Whittaker.

Top 10 WW, titles at SWW and MW, exciting fights. Great power, left hook and combo punching. Uncommon Puertorican boxing superstar while other PR greats didn’t get that big. Not the most adjustable fellow and a tendency to lose his balance. You can be picky about a few wins (gift vs DLH, old Pernell)

He has a case for being the greatest from his island and he’s top 100 material. Maybe Top 50, but it needs quite some work to establish it. He’d rank higher if it was about bringing up fireworks and excitement.

Who does hearns have at WW that is that much better than Tito. Duran? A LW who moved up?

that same “lightweight” beat sugar ray leonard in his prime. hearns’ benítez win was as good as felix’s oscar win as well. we all love tito but he’s not even close to the best welterweight of all time. he’s potentially top 10-15 with new contenders like spence making their cases to eclipse him right now.

he can be your favorite, and maybe you see stylistic strengths that would benefit him against fighters with better resumés, but he’s definitely not holding a candle to a lot of welterweights.

this is laughably confident & matter-of-fact for being so based on opinion. a top 5 ww list is far from set in stone, although robinson & leonard should absolutely be in everyone’s top 5.

Far better, given that it was an actual win.
well tito’s was an actual win too. like it or not, he did enough to convince the only judges that matter that he won the fight. that’s the same criteria necessary for every decision win. you and i might disagree with the judges but he deserves credit for accomplishing what he did.

well tito’s was an actual win too. like it or not, he did enough to convince the only judges that matter that he won the fight. that’s the same criteria necessary for every decision win. you and i might disagree with the judges but he deserves credit for accomplishing what he did.
Well, then I would just say, Hearns' win was clear and decisive. He kept Benitez on the outside and jabbed his way to victory. Meanwhile, against Oscar, Tito was outlanded by close to 100 punches and was essentially ineffectual offensively for the entire fight. So they aren't comparable performances, other than that they both may have disappointed fans in search of fireworks.

All that said, I guess you can't really include it in a discussion of welterweight accomplishments, given that it took place at 154, for Benitez's title.

that same “lightweight” beat sugar ray leonard in his prime. hearns’ benítez win was as good as felix’s oscar win as well. we all love tito but he’s not even close to the best welterweight of all time. he’s potentially top 10-15 with new contenders like spence making their cases to eclipse him right now.

he can be your favorite, and maybe you see stylistic strengths that would benefit him against fighters with better resumés, but he’s definitely not holding a candle to a lot of welterweights.
Spence? <puh-lease75>

Well, then I would just say, Hearns' win was clear and decisive. He kept Benitez on the outside and jabbed his way to victory. Meanwhile, against Oscar, Tito was outlanded by close to 100 punches and was essentially ineffectual offensively for the entire fight. So they aren't comparable performances, other than that they both may have disappointed fans in search of fireworks.

All that said, I guess you can't really include it in a discussion of welterweight accomplishments, given that it took place at 154, for Benitez's title.
I think Hearns edges Tito especially at 154. At that weight Tommy was a wrecking machine.

oh for sure, i definitely agree. i think hearns was obviously more impressive in dissecting a nearly perfect defensive fighter in his prime, re: benitez. as for ATG rankings at WW i think benitez and DLH are on a similar level though, so i think a W by decision over either should bolster one’s resume nigh-equally.

i did forget about that, but both men were longtime welterweights. mayweather/cotto was at 154 as well but i think the fight has merit in discussions about both fighters in the context of their overall careers, and 7 more pounds of water and fat on two grown men don’t really make me think the fight would unfold any differently without it.

Hopefully that fight gets made.
agreed. and i should correct myself, he doesn’t even have to beat him handily. even a close competitive decision win would catapult him into those discussions. he would have beaten porter, garcia (danny), and crawford. all of whom are welterweight champs who have been top 10 pound for pound in this era. throw in complementary wins over algieri, brook, and mikey, and his resumé is quite impressive.

oh for sure, i definitely agree. i think hearns was obviously more impressive in dissecting a nearly perfect defensive fighter in his prime, re: benitez. as for ATG rankings at WW i think benitez and DLH are on a similar level though, so i think a W by decision over either should bolster one’s resume nigh-equally.

i did forget about that, but both men were longtime welterweights. mayweather/cotto was at 154 as well but i think the fight has merit in discussions about both fighters in the context of their overall careers, and 7 more pounds of water and fat on two grown men don’t really make me think the fight would unfold any differently without it.
I think Tommy and Tito put on muscle at 154. It's too bad Tito didn't stay there longer. IMO DLH was at his best at 140.

agreed. and i should correct myself, he doesn’t even have to beat him handily. even a close competitive decision win would catapult him into those discussions. he would have beaten porter, garcia (danny), and crawford. all of whom are welterweight champs who have been top 10 pound for pound in this era. throw in complementary wins over algieri, brook, and mikey, and his resumé is quite impressive.
He needs a win over Crawford but I think he still has a ways to go after that to catch up to Canelo. I think some good wins at 154 would help his case a lot.

He needs a win over Crawford but I think he still has a ways to go after that to catch up to Canelo. I think some good wins at 154 would help his case a lot.
canelo is out far and ahead resumé-wise. he’s already a top 50-75 p4p fighter of all time, easily. could be top ten once it’s all said and done. i just meant spence is the closest to top ten for welterweights.

canelo is out far and ahead resumé-wise. he’s already a top 50-75 p4p fighter of all time, easily. could be top ten once it’s all said and done. i just meant spence is the closest to top ten for welterweights.
As far as top ten all time WWs I still don't know. Mikey might be his best opponent but he's a LW.

Back