Félix Trinidad All-time ranking?

Ok. let's say Oscar made it a close fight by trying to winning pitter patting point fighting and didn't want anything to do with Tito in the championship Rd where Tito got most of his KOs and his rep for being of the greatest finisher of alltime. Let's say that it was close. So his only close fight at 147 was to another fighter who some argue as being one of the best of his era and could run with anybody and in any era. I don't see how that proves he couldn't walk though folks. No Real Champion would fight like Oscar did and therefore get KOd. SRL is the only fighter that would run like that.
I don’t really see how most of this matters. DLH gave away the last three rounds, sure, but there’s no way on Earth Tito won more than two rounds prior to that. It should have been impossible for him to win without KD’s or a stoppage. You can think whatever you want about De La Hoya’s tactics in that fight. Tito shouldn’t have won.

Tito is a top 5 WW all time, minimum. I’d say low end of the top 100, 70-100 somewhere.

I don’t really see how most of this matters. DLH gave away the last three rounds, sure, but there’s no way on Earth Tito won more than two rounds prior to that. It should have been impossible for him to win without KD’s or a stoppage. You can think whatever you want about De La Hoya’s tactics in that fight. Tito shouldn’t have won.

Tito is a top 5 WW all time, minimum. I’d say low end of the top 100, 70-100 somewhere.
I had the fight a draw in real time. Hard to say what would have happened if DLH tries to win the last rounds. If I'm not mistaken he made changes to his team because they assured him he couldn't lose on points so he started coasting.

I had the fight a draw in real time. Hard to say what would have happened if DLH tries to win the last rounds. If I'm not mistaken he made changes to his team because they assured him he couldn't lose on points so he started coasting.
Exactly what happened. Turned out to be a great tactical blunder.

Campas was 56-0 with 50 KOs when he fought Tito.

This was such a great fight

Tito is a top 5 WW all time, minimum.
from beating de la hoya and whitaker? two great names to have on your resumé, and DLH was in his prime, but that’s enough for top 5 for you? i struggle to see the justification.

from beating de la hoya and whitaker? two great names to have on your resumé, and DLH was in his prime, but that’s enough for top 5 for you? i struggle to see the justification.

I don't think you given Carr,Blocker,Campas enough respect. They were ATG but they were Solid Champion/Contenders at the time. The were the worthy opponents and then to look at it at he dimished them. And what about Camacho. Tito spank him too.

I don't think you given Carr,Blocker,Campas enough respect. They were ATG but they were Solid Champion/Contenders at the time. The were the worthy opponents and then to look at it at he dimished them. And what about Camacho. Tito spank him too.
camacho was like 35 and so was whitaker. they’re solid wins and made tito one of the best of his era, both guys were just FAR past their best. camacho was in his prime around 1984-1986. they fought in 1994.

i’m not trying to insinuate that felix sucks, i think he’s arguably top ten all time WW material. i just can’t see someone ranking him ahead of guys like duran, leonard, robinson, hearns, napoles, mayweather, pacquiao, as examples.

also not trying to be disrespectful, but oba carr, maurice blocker & campas really weren’t very good. not compared to the elites of the division at the time like chavez, quartey, de la hoya, etc.

camacho was like 35 and so was whitaker. they’re solid wins and made tito one of the best of his era, both guys were just FAR past their best. camacho was in his prime around 1984-1986. they fought in 1994.

i’m not trying to insinuate that felix sucks, i think he’s arguably top ten all time WW material. i just can’t see someone ranking him ahead of guys like duran, leonard, robinson, hearns, napoles, mayweather, pacquiao, as examples.

also not trying to be disrespectful, but oba carr, maurice blocker & campas really weren’t very good. not compared to the elites of the division at the time like chavez, quartey, de la hoya, etc.
I agree w Blocker but Carr was up against some serious competition, he would have picked up a title in any other era, Campas was good imo, he would go on and become champ later

If not because of Tito, Campas and Carr would have had better careers

I was about 14 at the time but it was as if Tito was brought in to lose, I remember it was on an JCC card on Mexican independence day with a pro Mexican crowd and the broadcasters giving Campas a lot of hype as the next JCC, Bobby Czysz was the only one who didnt fall for the hype, I also remember at the post fight interview Tito said he would go down to 140 and fight Chavez there, my point is, the Campas win imo was the best in at 147 for Tito

I agree w Blocker but Carr was up against some serious competition, he would have picked up a title in any other era, Campas was good imo, he would go on and become champ later

If not because of Tito, Campas and Carr would have had better careers
i’m not pretending they’re cab drivers by any means, just not keystone wins in a HOF resumé

Back