Explain why Holly doesn't get taken down and her arm broken by Rhonda

Just like we were talking about an OLYMPIC WRESTLER in Cormier that Jones just outwrestled. How does a guy like Gus with no wrestling background stuff Jones takedowns better than Cormier, an Olympian does? Because it's a different game in there. Chael Sonnen outstruck Anderson Silva on the feet in their 1st fight. Nobody would EVER call him a better striker, but when it's a fight, you have to account for the threat of takedowns and who is the more complete fighter. I'm telling you right know, Rousey would outstrike Holm. It's a lock.

I don't care about your achievements in other martial arts, doesn't mean it translates to making you the best in MMA. It has become clear to me that you don't watch MMA period if you don't realize this fact because this very fact was proven just 2 weeks ago when Jones outwrestled Cormier. I, on the other hand, have seen several of Holm's fights.

Jones was on track to becoming a potential National Champ which DC missed when he tried, like he missed at the Olympics. Jones, on the other hand didn't peak in amateur wrestling and continued to develop his MMA wrestling from that point onward. Cormier was a perennial runner-up years ago. That their wrestling would likely cancel out was not that difficult a problem to solve, imo.

Striking is a whole different ball game. Although Ronda is probably one of the better female strikers, at least in terms of power from her explosiveness, the overall level of striking in WMMA is abysmal. Holly is a world class striker in both boxing and kickboxing. She is worlds better than Ronda, with currently just a couple of years of serious striking under her belt, will likely ever be. This is night and day to the Jones/Cormier situation.

To say that Ronda would outstrike Holm is a "lock" is pure fantasy. Unless you mean she will land more rabbit punches in the clinch when she has Holly pressed against the cage and is going for a throw, it won't happen. Holly almost certainly pieces Ronda up from range, assuming she can keep the fight standing for any length of time. To say anything is a "lock" however, much less your claim that Ronda outstrikes her, is silly.

How did Chael outstrike Anderson on the feet? Because Anderson was scared of getting taken down, and left openings. Would be the same for Holm vs. Rousey. And Rousey would destroy her with knees in the clinch like she did to McMann. Rousey TKO's her within a round if she doesn't just choose to arm bar her instead. Could do whatever she wanted to her, really. Just a more gifted fighter and athlete. Deal with it, bro.

You probably think Wonderboy Thompson outstrikes everyone in the WW division, too. That's just not how MMA works. Take a look at it's history and study up.

I get what you are saying but to compare what Chael did to Anderson to what Ronda can do in the feet is a moot point to make since Chael's takedowns come from the outside. Ronda will likely have to get in close, and get a clinch on Holm for her to take her down. Besides, its quite premature to thinking of this match-up as Holm is unproven. Let her fight against Carmouche, Tate or Kaufman and we'll have a better chance of gauging her skills.

Jones was on track to becoming a potential National Champ which DC missed when he tried, like he missed at the Olympics. Jones, on the other hand didn't peak in amateur wrestling and continued to develop his MMA wrestling from that point onward. Cormier was a perennial runner-up years ago. That their wrestling would likely cancel out was not that difficult a problem to solve, imo.

Striking is a whole different ball game. Although Ronda is probably one of the better female strikers, at least in terms of power from her explosiveness, the overall level of striking in WMMA is abysmal. Holly is a world class striker in both boxing and kickboxing. She is worlds better than Ronda, with currently just a couple of years of serious striking under her belt, will likely ever be. This is night and day to the Jones/Cormier situation.

To say that Ronda would outstrike Holm is a "lock" is pure fantasy. Unless you mean she will land more rabbit punches in the clinch when she has Holly pressed against the cage and is going for a throw, it won't happen. Holly almost certainly pieces Ronda up from range, assuming she can keep the fight standing for any length of time. To say anything is a "lock" however, much less your claim that Ronda outstrikes her, is silly.

garbage. everyone said the same about mcmann, and the same about davis. Ronda wouldn't be able to outstrike them, she better get a fast throw or wall+stall. Instead, she jumps in like a beast and chases the KO.

If this were kickboxing, Holm would outstrike Ronda. I say Ronda outstrikes holm in MMA, and KO's holm before Holm even has a chance to get started. Ronda has real power, and has fought much better opposition.

Holm will get her hype train crushed soon enough. Rd1 TKO for Ronda, and making it look easy.

Let her fight against Carmouche, Tate or Kaufman and we'll have a better chance of gauging her skills.

She probably won't fight Kaufman, they're training partners.

Correia would be the most favorable matchup for Holm in the top 10 but they probably wouldn't make that matchup, Eye would be next the rest would test her grappling.

Are you trying to say she doesn't finish fights. She's 7=0 with 6 finishes.

She's not a power puncher. She's finishing amateurs after several rounds. Ronda would likely knock out the same fighters in the first round.

So how does this translate to Holly finishing Ronda of all fighters with any amount of time spent standing? Maybe if she has the luxury of several rounds to break her down. But she doesn't.

garbage. everyone said the same about mcmann, and the same about davis. Ronda wouldn't be able to outstrike them, she better get a fast throw or wall+stall. Instead, she jumps in like a beast and chases the KO.

If this were kickboxing, Holm would outstrike Ronda. I say Ronda outstrikes holm in MMA, and KO's holm before Holm even has a chance to get started. Ronda has real power, and has fought much better opposition.

Holm will get her hype train crushed soon enough. Rd1 TKO for Ronda, and making it look easy.

Pretty much, because MMA can't be compared to other combat sports. Its the reason you see weird stuff like GSP never wrestling in high school or college but being perhaps the greatest MMA wrestler of all time. Ronda is on another level compared to anyone in women's MMA. She probably KO's her if she wants to.

Who the hell said that about McMann? lol, right away it seems like you are talking out of your ass. McMann was supposed to get top position on her with her wrestling. I don't know what Davis was supposed to do besides gut it out and find a way, maybe drag Ronda into deep water and hope her conditioning is better. What happened was that, as is so often the case on WMMA, they stood in front of each other with very little in the way of defense/head movement (you don't tend to get hit as hard in WMMA, so this is common) and just started throwing 1-2s at each other. Just happens that Ronda is stronger than most and more explosive by far. Holm is leagues better than that from a technique perspective.

Ronda struggles a lot with left handed strikes, and Holly is a very skilled southpaw striker. If Holly can work the inside angle while on the back foot she should be able to keep Rousey off her, and if she can get Rousey to hesitate at the edge of her range then she can work outside and set up her bigger shots. I don't know if I'd bet on it, but it's possible.

Pretty much, because MMA can't be compared to other combat sports. Its the reason you see weird stuff like GSP never wrestling in high school or college but being perhaps the greatest MMA wrestler of all time. Ronda is on another level compared to anyone in women's MMA. She probably KO's her if she wants to.

The only reality that RRR outstrikes Holm in is if Holm spends the whole fight gun shy in suspense of the td. And GSP would've great at any martial art he wanted to pursue. Incredible work ethic + natural athleticism + intelligence + yrs of training with top guys in the field = success.

That is not my argument. my argument is if Ronda stands with her and doesn't attempt TDs she will not outstrike Holly. In reality Ronda will put her on her head and tap her.

I won't say I 100% agree with Tapped2Strikes but I think he does have a valid point.

Realistically Ronda will take the fight to the ground like you claim so I think you're most likely right in that regard.

However lets say hypothetically Ronda decides to stand with Holly instead of going for a TD. Holly isn't going to know Ronda doesn't intend to take her down so will be concerned about the TD and will plausibly leave herself open to shots that she ordinarily wouldn't be hit with. Thus I think Ronda would do better standing against Holly than a lot of people believe.

Now would Ronda outstrike Holly? That would depend on how long it is until they fight (Ronda's striking will progress more the longer they wait to fight) and how much Holly's standing is impacted by being worried about TDs.

Summary: realistically Ronda will submit Holly. Hypothetically Ronda could possibly beat Holly standing.

lol.

I've seen Holly fight in MMA before, and it isn't pretty.

Ronda flashes a fake jab into a trip TD, lands in side control, fight over by either GnP or armbar. This would be one of her easier fights.

I don't think Holly will win but as long as her game plan doesn't involve karma she's already ahead of Ronda's last opponent.

I think Ronda might go for breaking Holly's neck instead of breaking her arm. I wonder how Holly sustained her neck injury, perhaps she's not very used to falling on her head?

In a pure striking match, though, Ronda would be so outmatched it would be embarrassing to watch. Probably eventually floored with a high-kick.

she wont get that far. She'll get retired by a 7-10 ranked bantam

Because holm is the only fighter she's ever fought that has good footwork/lateral movement and understanding of range. I'm not saying that it will be enough, but if she has a chance of keeping Ronda off of her it will be because of those attributes. Watch Gus vs. Jones for an example.

Holm has only a puncher's chance, I think.

Back