Everyone still sure Leon beats Jorge?

Would love them to make this match up. 50/50 fight IMO.

Sure but he would have other issues to deal with such as Masvidals more explosive and versatile striking and knock out power. If Nate pillow fist can touch your chin and buckle you, then any WW with decent power can do much worse.

True, but there's a reason Leon has never been finished and this was only the second time he's ever been rocked. Nate took him deep into the fight, never faded, then landed that crisp 1-2 when he had Leon thinking he was safe. The reality is that he would only be in danger against Jorge for the first round and a half or so, and he'd be extremely cautious during that time.

My point is that there is nothing about this fight in particular we can use to say that Jorge has a better shot at beating Leon all of a sudden. We could just as easily say Leon might knock him out now that he got KOd in his last fight. For all we know, Jorge himself would have gotten rocked by Nate in the 5th in their fight.

Don't get me wrong, I actually had a similar thought for a moment right afterward about Leon's skillset. The more I've thought about it though, I don't see anyone replicating what Nate did and I think he's getting too much criticism. There might be guys who will beat him, but they'll have to do it differently and it won't be because of anything Nate exposed in his game. His chin is fine, just as Conor's chin is fine even though he got rocked by that same 1-2.

I would still pick Leon to beat Masvidal
A much more polished striker with good clinch and takedowns
Edwards did not use his wrestling much against Diaz because he was wary of the submission threat

The narrative around a potential fight between Edwards and Masvidal seemed to be overwhelmingly that Edwards would cruise to a decision win, that Jorge is scared, ducking, etc.

But after watching Masvidal toy with Nate and finish him, and Edwards backpedalling and clinching for dear life to survive for another decision, are you still as convinced that Leon is such a favourite in that fight?

I don’t think Jorge is a world beater or anything, but Edwards might be one of the most overrated guys on the roster, And I wouldn’t be surprised if he got knocked out by Street Jesus especially after what we saw the other day.

49-46 with no problem leon wins. or most likely 30-27 since it only be a 3 round fight.

edwards would be able to take jorge down easy an use that to grind out winning just as easy as he beat nate.

jorge is duckikng leon he been vocal that he turned down colby and leon when ufc offered it.

Yes. Leon dominates Nate, who is tougher than Mas, and has a ground game better than Mas.

Leon out points Mas.

True, but there's a reason Leon has never been finished and this was only the second time he's ever been rocked. Nate took him deep into the fight, never faded, then landed that crisp 1-2 when he had Leon thinking he was safe. The reality is that he would only be in danger against Jorge for the first round and a half or so, and he'd be extremely cautious during that time.

My point is that there is nothing about this fight in particular we can use to say that Jorge has a better shot at beating Leon all of a sudden. We could just as easily say Leon might knock him out now that he got KOd in his last fight. For all we know, Jorge himself would have gotten rocked by Nate in the 5th in their fight.

Don't get me wrong, I actually had a similar thought for a moment right afterward about Leon's skillset. The more I've thought about it though, I don't see anyone replicating what Nate did and I think he's getting too much criticism. There might be guys who will beat him, but they'll have to do it differently and it won't be because of anything Nate exposed in his game. His chin is fine, just as Conor's chin is fine even though he got rocked by that same 1-2.
Part of that reason is probably the fact that he has only fought one top 10 fighter in his entire career.

I agree with most of what you said, and as I previously mentioned I would probably have Leon as a slight favourite in that fight simply because I don’t think Masvidal is all that either.

My point is more about Leon being overrated, then Masvidal being great. All I see is another jack of all trades striker who can’t finish and seems to have cardio and chin issues as well.

Wonderboy, Burns, Usman and Colby would all expose him pretty badly imo, Marty already did.

The narrative around a potential fight between Edwards and Masvidal seemed to be overwhelmingly that Edwards would cruise to a decision win, that Jorge is scared, ducking, etc.

But after watching Masvidal toy with Nate and finish him, and Edwards backpedalling and clinching for dear life to survive for another decision, are you still as convinced that Leon is such a favourite in that fight?

I don’t think Jorge is a world beater or anything, but Edwards might be one of the most overrated guys on the roster, And I wouldn’t be surprised if he got knocked out by Street Jesus especially after what we saw the other day.

They just have different styles. Edwards isn’t an aggressive fighter. He’s the kind of guy who will cruise for 25 minutes if you let him.

I think it would be good fight. Leon needs to be careful or he’s going to start losing dumb decisions the way Machida started doing.

Part of that reason is probably the fact that he has only fought one top 10 fighter in his entire career.

I agree with most of what you said, and as I previously mentioned I would probably have Leon as a slight favourite in that fight simply because I don’t think Masvidal is all that either.

My point is more about Leon being overrated, then Masvidal being great. All I see is another jack of all trades striker who can’t finish and seems to have cardio and chin issues as well.

Wonderboy, Burns, Usman and Colby would all expose him pretty badly imo, Marty already did.

Burns and Colby would make him fight, which would be good to see.

Wonderboy and Leon might have a staring contest.

Leon fights the same vs everyone, no matter their skill level. I think a one sided, mostly uneventful UD is how Leon will win once again. Except, Mas doesn't have Nate's cardio, so I don't except any late flurries.

Rocky would rock him.

Mas didn't finish Nate. The doctor did. It's definitely a highly intriguing matchup even without the 3 piece and soda incident.

They both absolutely smashed Nate. Mas was more vicious while Edwards was smoother yet still just as effective.

Sherdog told me not to like Edwards' style but I'm sorry I did enjoy his technical brilliance. I'm not confident one way or the other in the head to head matchup but it seems to me that Edwards might be the better welterweight overall.

Just my 2 cents.

C3D270C7-88F2-4FF3-B82F-C485EBFDC21C.jpeg

It is definitely a fight worth making IMO.

MMA math sucks, gotta actually have the fight to who is best.

Leon will TKO Masvidal with reckless abandon. Mark my words.

I thought Leon was fairly overrated and that was before he fought Nate. Mas has a very real chance of KOing him but it’ll be close either way

49-46 with no problem leon wins. or most likely 30-27 since it only be a 3 round fight.

edwards would be able to take jorge down easy an use that to grind out winning just as easy as he beat nate.

jorge is duckikng leon he been vocal that he turned down colby and leon when ufc offered it.
You start by making a semi logical post, only to close out with 12-year-old tactics using words like “ducking”.

Have you ever thought about how silly it sounds considering that while Masvidal was supposedly ducking Leon, he was fighting the scariest guy in the division twice, a guy who already beat Leon.

Don’t be dishonest bro, don’t try to use word play in an attempt to paint an inaccurate picture when we all know what it was. Leon had absolutely nothing to offer Masvidal who had title shots and big money options on the table.

If Leon had any of those things, any type of fan following where the fight would draw some viewers, or a belt, or something, the fight would have happened long time ago. Fact is no one gives a shit about him outside a few dudes from England who post on sherdog, and he’s got no one to blame but himself. No one gave a shit about Masvidal either when he was coasting to decisions, you gotta go out there and get it if you really want it.

I don't agree with the narrative. Mas is looking for big fights late in his career, and he got them. Match-up wise Mas is the better striker of the 2, while Leon has some wrestling, but most of this would be on the feet.

usman crushed masvidal easily. zero resistance, put his lights out.

dont just compare their fights with nate

Back