Everyone still sure Leon beats Jorge?

Mas didn't finish Nate. The doctor did. It's definitely a highly intriguing matchup even without the 3 piece and soda incident.

They both absolutely smashed Nate. Mas was more vicious while Edwards was smoother yet still just as effective.

Sherdog told me not to like Edwards' style but I'm sorry I did enjoy his technical brilliance. I'm not confident one way or the other in the head to head matchup but it seems to me that Edwards might be the better welterweight overall.

Just my 2 cents.
I still think Leon dominates Mas rather easily.. however, if Nate can rock him then Mas could certainly put him out if he lands. Like you said, intriguing fight

Good match up still. Should be fairly fun unless Leon goes full wallnstall or laynpray, but that's Jorge's fault for not getting out of there.

Usman struggled to get Masvidal down & hold him down in the 1st fight. I was surprised because I thought Usman would easily get him down & keep him down. 2nd fight Usman ended up TKO'ing him. Leon doesn't hit nearly as hard as Usman, & Leon just isn't as good &/or strong a wrestler as Usman. I think people would be surprised, I think Mas could keep it on the feet & Leon is more chinny than Usman. Its not a good style matchup but Mas a decent chance

I thought this fight was competitive back in 2019 and 2020. Now though Jorge is coming off a bad KO and hasn't been active.
The guy has over 50 fights and taken major damage, being 37 won't help either. I think Leon will probably pick him apart a slower Jorge for 3/5 rounds, that being said he could still have moments of success.
Sucks because 2019 Jorge was a fucking monster and woulda put up a fight, maybe he'll prove me wrong.

I think a better comeback fight for Jorge would be Ponzi.

The narrative around a potential fight between Edwards and Masvidal seemed to be overwhelmingly that Edwards would cruise to a decision win, that Jorge is scared, ducking, etc.

But after watching Masvidal toy with Nate and finish him, and Edwards backpedalling and clinching for dear life to survive for another decision, are you still as convinced that Leon is such a favourite in that fight?

I don’t think Jorge is a world beater or anything, but Edwards might be one of the most overrated guys on the roster, And I wouldn’t be surprised if he got knocked out by Street Jesus especially after what we saw the other day.
The Jorge that beat Nate beats the Leon that fought Nate.

I think Jorge is getting older so I don't know about now, but I think he would have been a very tough fight for Leon

I thought this fight was competitive back in 2019 and 2020. Now though Jorge is coming off a bad KO and hasn't been active.
The guy has over 50 fights and taken major damage, being 37 won't help either. I think Leon will probably pick him apart a slower Jorge for 3/5 rounds, that being said he could still have moments of success.
Sucks because 2019 Jorge was a fucking monster and woulda put up a fight, maybe he'll prove me wrong.

I think a better comeback fight for Jorge would be Ponzi.
Yeah, once you hit 37 and have the mileage he has, it's pretty much impossible to still be in your prime

Yes Edwards will LnP til he gets tired. Mas does not have Conditioning as the Diaz boys have so he wont last 3 rounds.

Yes Edwards will LnP til he gets tired. Mas does not have Conditioning as the Diaz boys have so he wont last 3 rounds.
Leon would gas a lot quicker when he is actually in a competitive fight

Jorge has a better gas tank than Leon

It's a very different stylistic matchup. Edwards would engage far more in the clinch and on top after the takedowns. Also, Masvidal slows down while Diaz doesn't. The two things that kept Diaz in the fight and dangerous are non-issues with Masvidal.

Just on eye test i think leon would outstrike masvidal. But that's a very interesting match up.

i never thought leon would beat mas.

It's a very different stylistic matchup. Edwards would engage far more in the clinch and on top after the takedowns. Also, Masvidal slows down while Diaz doesn't. The two things that kept Diaz in the fight and dangerous are non-issues with Masvidal.
Sure but he would have other issues to deal with such as Masvidals more explosive and versatile striking and knock out power. If Nate pillow fist can touch your chin and buckle you, then any WW with decent power can do much worse.

Leon would resort to his wrestling UD Mas

I personally would prefer Leon to win that match but I have a feeling Jorge is a bad matchup for Leon.
Leon’s coaches will have to see some exploitable flaws in Jorge and game plan for Leon to execute.
Mas has fast and impactful hands especially when the fight first starts. I have a feeling he’d show Leon 0 respect on the feet and try to steam roll him out the gate UNLESS Leon’s coaches give him something Mas is forced to respect early (like some body shots, spamming nasty oblique kicks that gives him pause about rushing in, etc)

Back