Event Horizon(1997 film)

Oh come on now, that’s not even close.
WaterloggedAssuredBluefintuna-max-1mb.gif

220px-Redplanetmovieposter.jpg

It was a good movie. But my pet peeve in sci-if movies is when they do the whole “imagine space is this piece of paper and you want to get from point a to point b. Instead of a straight line, we bend space...”

Not for any reason other than they do that in every fucking movie. And they did it in this one again. Still, I really like it.

Great movie! Was freaky and different, not your usual horror or sci-fi flick so really liked its originality

I remember seeing it too young. That and Mouth of Madness.

I also found it odd they never suspected Weir when his name is like...weird.

It's pretty much the only film that ever legit scared the fuck outta me. I was only like 13/14 and 5'6 at the time though tbf. It'd probably be badly dated nowadays, but there were some great pieces of design in it.

I saw that movie in a local theater and it legit scared the shit out of me. Seeing it was the first thing I was able to do after 2 days of food poisoning, and I had friends who worked at a theater who let us watch it after the theater was closed. When the movie was done we went behind the screen, and went down scary ass stairs that went to the underground railroad system that was for gold mining.

I was already scared from the movie, so going and exploring an underground railroad that was crumbling and pitch black was fucking terrifying. Good thing the girls were clutching me and titties were pressed against me the whole time.

I love the movie!

Sam Neil has got an iron jaw. He'd fuck up Morpheus.

It's Paul W.S. Anderson's best directing work he's done on a movie, and he's done nothing but shit after this.

This movie had alot going for it. Great cast, great acting (for the genre), awesome set design, a great premise.

What it didn't have going for it, is the overall plot. It all falls apart in the finale and ending. It seemed like it was borrowing too much from the films it was trying to honor, and its own identity falls apart at the end... oh, and about that ending, was it supposed to be sequel baiting?

Overall, its a decent flick, one of the few Space/SciFi/Horror flicks out there, but it wasted much of its potential.
Oh, c'mon, Soldier is unappreciated. Love that one, too.

Love it,but damn,has time ruined the effects. It looks real cheap now.

As I recall, I felt it was good and kinda unique. Not great overall, though. Very uneven. Lots of Doom/40k/HR Giger vibes, so that was real cool.

I've studied extreme gravitational gradients all my life and have a really hard time with "travel" through wormholes and passing through event horizons.

So does that mean you click on the occasional Stephen Hawking video from time to time?

So does that mean you click on the occasional Stephen Hawking video from time to time?
Not as much anymore. I used to but mostly stick to texts that are comprehensible... And some I can't get through. Some water I can tread and some is too deep.

Event Horizon is one of the best in terms of spooky spaceship atmosphere and has plenty of great scenes and scares. But for me, it's lacking just a little something to take it from good to great. I think the visuals are brilliant, acting definitely good enough from what I can recall, however I remember feeling left dissatisfied with the way the story wrapped up. The whole "it's making fear reality" concept never worked well for me (though this does a much better job than Sphere did).

Still well worth a watch for those that enjoy horror in a sci-fi setting, or horror fans in general.

Back