Event Horizon(1997 film)

I love this film.

I always try to get new fans to watch it whenever possible.

My favorite things in life:
Space
Sci-fi
Horror
Sam Neil
The Matrix(has Lawrence)

So, you shouldnt be surprised when I say this is one of my favorite movies of all time. And IMO one of the best horrors of all time. I saw this when I was really young and it FUCKED me up.

To this day its still one of those movies that never loses its touch. Still fantastic every time I watch it. A classic. Will be just as good and scary in 2050 as it was when it came out.

Will be just as good and scary in 2050 as it was when it came out.

Hopefully, Planet Earth will survive until the year 2050.

At the rate that things are going, Nuclear Doomsday might occur before the year 2030.

I first saw it around 12 or 13. I remember the night after watching it having a nightmare exactly the same as the woman’s nightmare at the end of the movie (where it was me being woken up from cryo sleep by demon Sam Neil) and waking up around 3 or 4am and not being able to get back to sleep after it.

Legit the most scared I’ve ever been from a movie. The scene when they’re watching the recording of the old crew left me fucking shook for days.
Shii...me, you and that creep @Zer are probably in the same age bracket and timeline when we saw this and it left the same lasting impression. I watched this expecting a run-of-the-mill sci-fi schlop, and what I saw was like an Isis beheading video.

I absolutely love Event Horizon. I only got round to watching The Shining for the first time last year and didn’t think it was as good (I’m aware I’m in a minority here).

Hopefully, Planet Earth will survive until the year 2050.

At the rate that things are going, Nuclear Doomsday might occur before the year 2030.
Youre probably right.

Personally, if humanity is going to self sabotage outself I hope its a cooler less predictable way.

Either an AI getting absolutely out of control or

Humans creating a black hole on Earth, losing control of it and its devours everything

Crazy thing is even if we shape up and get our shit together, we could all end in a flash. Gamma blast from the sun, Yellowstone eruption, meteor, etc....

For those W40k fans, some fun rumours abound of significant 40k influence on the film

Yes! Great movie. Gonna watch again tonight!

I love this movie. Despite it turning into hellraiser in space in the final 20 minutes, it is a good solid scifi horror

Watched this once. It's in my worst movies category.... up there with battlefield earth and the postman. Terrible.

Love the movie. First saw it when I came out and I was 16. Probably seen it 10 times over the years since.

Saw it once.

I think I watched it on a sunny Sunday afternoon in August and it still creeped me out.

Last edited:
I love this movie. Despite it turning into hellraiser in space in the final 20 minutes, it is a good solid scifi horror

lol I was a huge hellraiser fan as a kid and I completely agree. It reminded me of hellraiser at the end every single time.

I enjoyed it... but I didn't like how it was basically a fantasy horror movie that happened to be set in a spaceship. If I wanted to watch some dumb occult killing BS, I'd watch the appropriate movie. A real sci. fi. horror movie should actually include sci. fi. elements.

Youre probably right.

Personally, if humanity is going to self sabotage outself I hope its a cooler less predictable way.

Either an AI getting absolutely out of control or

Humans creating a black hole on Earth, losing control of it and its devours everything

Crazy thing is even if we shape up and get our shit together, we could all end in a flash. Gamma blast from the sun, Yellowstone eruption, meteor, etc....

No need to worry about a gamma blast from the Sun.

Event Horizon is a decent see scify/horror flick.

I've studied extreme gravitational gradients all my life and have a really hard time with "travel" through wormholes and passing through event horizons.

I love sci fi but the more it treats with exotic stellar phenomena the less I like it unless it's hard sci-fi written very well.

I can enjoy ST shenanigans because it's expected that scientific concepts will be explained away with stray lines of treknobabble dialogue.

I used to put the VHS on slo-mo to see all the whacked out shit from those quick-cut horror cannibalism scenes.

It's not a great movie, it's definitely corny, but I've always liked it anyways.

It's pretty much the only film that ever legit scared the fuck outta me. I was only like 13/14 and 5'6 at the time though tbf. It'd probably be badly dated nowadays, but there were some great pieces of design in it.

I rewatched it a few months back. Some of the special effects are kind of dated but honestly the “peering into hell” and creepy parts still hold up pretty well.

Back