ESPN doesn't think MMA is better than Women Soccer. They award MMA fighters @ Red Carpet LMFAO!!!!!!

So they give out the MMA award on the street corner with 3 homeless guys in the background clapping?

DC should have smashed it

Their ratings were even higher for previous years, so I don't think the AntiTrump news publicity gave them any boost in ratings if you are suggesting it played a big role in the ratings.
yeah, their previous final against Japan was the second most watched soccer game on American TV ever, behind the 2014 Men's WC final.
2015-Womens-World-Cup-TV-Ratings-Infographic.jpg

its just a money thing, wwe has its own category and its own award which is about as odd as it gets

I actually said that the USWNT is impressive now. Multiple players who will take on defenders 1v1 or 2v1. They have came a long way since the 1999 Brandi Chastain team. Also to your point that 15 year old wrestler better be all state and 220 or Amanda Nunes might knock him out. I mean 15 and no combat sports experience

Fair point. But I guess I am thinking from a business standpoint. A lot of girls/women play softball and there is a Pro Softball league. There just isn't much coverage of it. <Fedor23>So even though more people play softball. I think it's safe to say MMA is bigger than Softball in terms of people following and tuning into to watch MMA over Softball or Women's soccer excluding the international team. Can you without googling tell me where Rapinoe, Morgan, and Heath play professionally. Also whoever coined the term ATM to refer to the 3 forwards really should have just gone with RMH to avoid the clear joke.

I think niche is being used in a couple of ways in this thread.

In terms of the professional entertainment industry, women's soccer is still a niche sport.
In terms of participation, girl's soccer is main stream.

And in terms of overall money, including selling shoes and other equipment, kids sport is very big money, much bigger in fact than the sports entertainment industry -- which is why there are so many sports equipment manufacturers advertising on sporting events.

Kids sporting gear is an especially lucrative market, because parents will generally spend far more on sports activities or their kids than sports viewing for themselves, and kids tend to outgrow equipment quickly.

Which is why ESPN is happy to give a lot of time to the women's WC -- advertisers like to see something that a lot of kids are interested in.

Overall (including participation and entertainment) girls soccer (though not women's soccer) is much bigger financially and in numbers than MMA. MMA is never going to be a sport that many parents will want their school kids doing, so its never going to have access to the same money.

Their ratings were even higher for previous years, so I don't think the AntiTrump news publicity gave them any boost in ratings if you are suggesting it played a big role in the ratings.
I have no clue about ratings, i dont watch tv just check my emails on yahoo and msn and that purple hair rapinoe dominated the front page. The articles were all Rapinoe claps back at Trump, she accepts visit to Ocasio Cortez, thats all i know, didnt watch the games.

i've never seen people so upset about the color of someone's hair.

People are also overlooking the growth potential of female sports. Male sports are a mature industry with high saturation and limited future growth. Female sports are a tiny sliver of that, but if you encourage young girls to participate and watch then it can grow into a money making juggernaut. This is why ESPN is aggressively pursuing female audiences (and pushing UFC to do more wmma). The forecast for male audience growth is near maximum but the female audience can double or triple in the coming years.

People like to bring up the WNBA as a failure and they're right- it failed to captivate female viewers. Perhaps they couldnt relate to giant women the way men gravitate to large athletes. But the popularity of women's tennis and soccer shows us they do love watching sports.

Not to mention the huge growth of women's strength sports- " In 2012, there were 3,332 registered female USA Weightlifting members compared to an astonishing 8,600 female members today. "
For each of those registered members, there are dozens of recreational hobbyists participating. And Crossfit and powerlifting has even more.

What I find hilarious is all the dudes here who are so resistant to this. Do you want your daughter's role models to be THOTs?

women tennis is exactly the example.... it has lost all the popularity it had many years ago... and it doesnt matter weather woman participate or not, it will never ever be as popular as a man sports. Even woman dont like to watch women tennis anymore, but I assure you that everyon one was watching roger vs rafa today.

women tennis is exactly the example.... it has lost all the popularity it had many years ago... and it doesnt matter weather woman participate or not, it will never ever be as popular as a man sports. Even woman dont like to watch women tennis anymore, but I assure you that everyon one was watching roger vs rafa today.
Lost all popularity? Where are the stats for that? Serena outdraws most male tennis stars on American TV.
This quote is from last year:

According to data from Nielsen, 3.2 million viewers — 1.4 million of them women — watched the men’s U.S. Open final last year. A total of 1.6 million viewers watched the women’s final, including 719,000 women, although that was televised in midafternoon, while the men’s final was during prime time.
Until there is another American male to challenge the "Big Four," ratings for men's matches will continue to trail any women's match that features Serena.

Serena Williams is fun to watch. Even when she's losing, she's animated and interesting. Her game has variety. The rest of the women's field is mostly baseline rallies and double-digit double faults.

That's another reason why Sharapova is not a big ratings winner. Her game is boring. The 2012 French Open television ratings (h/t 10sballs.com) for Serena's first-round loss (1.02) drew almost as many viewers as Sharapova's appearance in the championship final (1.7) on NBC.

Lost all popularity? Where are the stats for that? Serena outdraws most male tennis stars on American TV.
This quote is from last year:

According to data from Nielsen, 3.2 million viewers — 1.4 million of them women — watched the men’s U.S. Open final last year. A total of 1.6 million viewers watched the women’s final, including 719,000 women, although that was televised in midafternoon, while the men’s final was during prime time.
Until there is another American male to challenge the "Big Four," ratings for men's matches will continue to trail any women's match that features Serena.

Serena Williams is fun to watch. Even when she's losing, she's animated and interesting. Her game has variety. The rest of the women's field is mostly baseline rallies and double-digit double faults.

That's another reason why Sharapova is not a big ratings winner. Her game is boring. The 2012 French Open television ratings (h/t 10sballs.com) for Serena's first-round loss (1.02) drew almost as many viewers as Sharapova's appearance in the championship final (1.7) on NBC.

big news, the world is way bigger than the US.

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Every 1 American tv viewer is worth about 20 European viewers when it comes to advertisers. Sorry to tell you this, but America is the center of the world. Everyone else is in our orbit.
The 20:1 is nonsense, but I sort of agree with the rest. America's love of war is the main reason for that. For example, most Middle Easterners were indifferent to the USA before the Iraq war. Now a great deal of them hate the USA. I guess everybody else would orbit even more if the USA didn't suck so baddy at war.

I'm not defending Europe. It's a worthless continent populated entirely by cucks. What did the EU do when it was revealed that the USA spied on Merkel and other European political and industrial leaders? Nothing. They were afraid it would hurt their relationship with Washington. I wish I made that up. That's a relationship like that of a battered wife who is afraid to speak up because it may anger her abusive husband. Sure, the USA would get a predicable hissy fit, like when it armed ISIS to destabilize Syria because it was mad at Assad. But not saying anything only tells the USA to keep doing what it's doing.

You weren't that wrong really (european here).
As a matter of fact, when I first noticed how popular the women's football was in the US (I didn't know about Canada) I was surprised and confused. It kinda still surprises me seeing americans talk about the women's football instead of men's.
Soccer is sort of a women's game in the USA. Men's soccer has been getting more popular on college and higher levels for a while. But it's still largely seen as a women's thing, whereas the guys in college play basketball and American football. Also, the women had international success, whereas the men didn't.

Lmao someone inform TS that soccer/football is the most popular sport in the world.

Back