Escape from LA and...Escape from NY???

He was one of the world's premier filmmakers until shortly after...say...Big Trouble in Little China.

He then pretty much went Full Renny Harlin the rest of the way.
His Masters of Horrors episode was pretty fun.
Cigarette Burns.

Escape from NY is the good one.

Escape from LA is this one:

I really wish they hadn't made Escape from LA. A real sequel with an older Snake would be pretty good right about now.

But they murdered the franchise with one chop, just like Highlander.

I sometimes wonder if John Carpenter had a stroke in the mid-80s.

Carpenter was one of the more creative and wicked directors of the 70s/80s. His filmography from that time is just a rolling list of classics. Then, around 1988, he took the brown acid and Ghosts of Mars was born. He pretty much hasn't produced a watchable movie since Big Trouble in Little China or They Live.

Escape from LA is the tits

In researching this post I found Ebert gave it 3.5/4 stars as well. You can't argue with that

In researching this post I found Ebert gave it 3.5/4 stars as well. You can't argue with that

He also liked Ghosts of Mars and The Happening.

I think so, too. But I showed both to a friend recently he acted like LA was so much better than NY.

You need to hook this man up with Highlander 2, Beverly Hills Cop 3 and Indiana Jones 4.

You need to hook this man up with Highlander 2, Beverly Hills Cop 3 and Indiana Jones 4.

He also dislikes all Quentin Tarantino movies, thought Fargo was disappointing and says Game of Thrones is boring.

Hmmm... did he subtract half a star for the surfing.... or add one because of it. There's a mind I'd like to get into one day. With a gun. Just in case.

Only one of them has this little gold

giphy.gif

The guy getting domed is the late, great, brawling, Pro-Wrestler, Ox Baker.

They were going to remake Escape From New York a few years ago with Gerard Butler playing Snake but the project fell through.

Escape from New York is classic. It was serious where with LA they tried to go with a western cheese feel. It's a guilty pleasure for me, I know it's bad but I still enjoy it. They were supposed to do Escape from Earth but that never happened.

Carpenter was the man. Big Trouble in Little China, The Thing, Halloween. Those are some amazing films. He also scored his films too though The Thing used Ennio Morricones work. Prince of Darkness is severely underrated as well. 80s Carpenter was a master. Then he did Ghosts of Mars and it all fell apart.

They were going to remake Escape From New York a few years ago with Gerard Butler playing Snake but the project fell through.

Thank god it didn't get made. I'm sure they'll remak it someday though. The Rock is remaking Big Trouble in Little China. He's wrong for Jack Burton IMO. Though I could see Chris Pratt pulling it off.

Carpenter is ace when he's Hitchcockian, but unravels when he's Lovecraftian

Back