Erick Silva: "This fight made me realize I still don't belong in the top"

Seems like his career is winding down. But he took his beating like a man! (unlike some Sherdoggers) :icon_twis

Erick isn't 25 years old here. He'll brush up on something's, but I don't see him evolving big time, this is it.

I'm pretty sure it was an adrenaline dump. The dude was so pumped walking to the octagon with his self-face smashes that I knew he would gas quickly. His skills are there.. he just needs to calm the fuck down when he fights.

Souce: http://sportv.globo.com/site/combat...-diz-meu-lugar-ainda-nao-e-entre-os-tops.html

Cliffs:

- Says he had an excellent camp;
- Says he doesn't understand why he gassed so bad, considering he felt prepared for a 5 round fight;
- Says Matt is one tough dude and gives him props;
- Says he has no place facing elite level guys for now, but won't give up just yet;
- Says he has no injuries and is feeling great;
- Says his game needs improvements and he's in talks to go train in the US (didn't reveal where exactly), but still as a Team Nogueira athlete.

I would translate the whole interview but I'm on my phone at LAX. Bye, 'Murica!

I always tried hating Silva cause he was super overhyped and cause he seemed cocky as hell. Now I gotta say fuck everything I ever thought! Guy's all class and massive kudos to him.

In all reality it probably was the dreaded adrenaline dump. Even Brown admitted the spotlight got to him as well. Silva saw the openings with Brown and identified a weakness that really could have won him the fight, he just didn't have it in him to finish.

I think Brown is a very specific type of fighter, too. Mainly in that it's going to take more than what you dish out to your training partners and other fighters to put him away these days, and he's ALWAYS going to be coming at you. Silva was just not prepared for that part of the fight, though he really should have been after the Fitch fight.

I think he needs to mix things up and learn how to control his aggression and conserve energy during a fight.

Except he is wrong about Nog being a bigger excuse maker than Mir.

Mir has made more excuses than Nog in his career(even though he has half the fights that Nog has)

For some reason barely any one labels Mir as an excuse maker. Hell, Mir even makes excuses for his winning performances (Bronchitis when he fought Roy)

I don't think it is necessarily nationalism. I think it is a case of a lie repeated enough that a guy gets a reputation and then people look for fault in every word from that person from then on. Quotes that they would normally ignore from other fighters are dissected and labeled as excuses. People are sheep.

Mir gets a pass over Big Nog because he is the better fighter and has proved it not once but twice.

Anyone ever see the OZ episode where Cyril is boxing a better boxer but to counter it o riley drugs his opponents and they begin to gas early while fighting?
Thats what it reminded me of while it was happening.

But in all honestly i think when he was going for that jaw crank he just blew all his energy trying to finish. it was a big risk but you can see his legs, back everything gone the moment he lets it go. When he stands in the first round he is completely gassed and never recovered. May be time for some strength training in the u.s.

Souce: http://sportv.globo.com/site/combat...-diz-meu-lugar-ainda-nao-e-entre-os-tops.html

Cliffs:

- Says he had an excellent camp;
- Says he doesn't understand why he gassed so bad, considering he felt prepared for a 5 round fight;
- Says Matt is one tough dude and gives him props;
- Says he has no place facing elite level guys for now, but won't give up just yet;
- Says he has no injuries and is feeling great;
- Says his game needs improvements and he's in talks to go train in the US (didn't reveal where exactly), but still as a Team Nogueira athlete.

I would translate the whole interview but I'm on my phone at LAX. Bye, 'Murica!

I just read the whole thing.
AWESOME! Love his approach, and will give him the benefit of the doubt.

WAR SILVA!!!

Mir gets a pass over Big Nog because he is the better fighter and has proved it not once but twice.

MMAth does not work.
Style makes fights.

how dumb you have to be not to know this by now?

Career-wise, Nog has proven he's twice the fighter Mir is.

SMH!

he may never will be. looks like he is still at noob level and he has been KTFO and battered this last fight. His IQ has dropped by now to the point where he is past his prime.

he may never will be. looks like he is still at noob level and he has been KTFO and battered this last fight. His IQ has dropped by now to the point where he is past his prime.

Almost everything that is wrong with Sherdog can be found in this post.

Also, WAR Silva. Great interview. I look forward to seeing him fight again.

Of course respect for the comments.

but he really does need to get better or he will need to find a new job. This isn't the job you should try to sustain if you can't draw fans with great performances. He's not going to make good enough money.

314178_10200320800720524_1999142845_n.jpg

Honorable mentions
Edson Barboza would not have been ko'ed by Cerrone if he didn't blink when he got hit.
JDS after the 2nd Cain fight had a divorce, had kidney problems,
Anderson only took 5 rounds to finish Sonnen because of his rib

Is this the best you can do? Really?? What an idiot.

I'm pretty sure his IQ is bigger than yours.

Of course respect for the comments.

but he really does need to get better or he will need to find a new job. This isn't the job you should try to sustain if you can't draw fans with great performances. He's not going to make good enough money.

Eh, he is a very exciting fighter. He can make a decent enough living even if he never puts it all together. I see him knocking out most middling guys.
It's also not just about getting better. He is skilled enough as it is (even though he needs to learn to fight better against grinders), he mostly just gassed.
Maybe he does cut too much weight (or doesn't do it properly), maybe he is prone to adrenaline dumps, who knows?

At least he's honest with himself.

He needs to learn how to pace himself and actually gameplan, or work with a mental coach and refine his mental game so he doesn't fizzle out so quickly.

Sadly, I think he'll be one of those 'what could have been' fighters when we look back. Vicious submission game, good striking with legitimate power, and a lot of heart. Too bad.

Back